Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Faction MOTD
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Faction MOTD
Jesterrr
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-07 10:15   
For those of you not up to scratch on your acronyms, MOTD means Message of the Day.

What i propose is a place where the faction can better communicate with one another. The MOTD appears either when a player chooses their faction from the logon screen in the MV (or, if they're in a fleet, as soon as they log on), or it could be bound to a hotkey to be viewed at any time (probably the better option).

It could be used to contain such information as:

Where the fighting is currently at
Where you can find depots
Where good planets for modding can be found
What the plan of attack is (if you have one)

Basically anything that anyone could find useful to know, and normally has to spend time asking around when people typically have better things to do than answer.

This information should be editable by only the highest rank(s) of the faction - perhaps this could be one of the perks for the GAs amongst us, though perhaps that will leave too few people able to edit the information.

Thoughts, anyone?

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-07 10:22   

Or just often suggest Faction specific forum.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Jesterrr
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-07 10:45   
Wyke, you cannot seriously be from Hull

If i found out you're anywhere near where i am now i'm gonna come kick you in the arse out of principle.

Admiral Xeodia
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 10:55   
Sounds good Jesterrr.

Email Admiral Xeodia
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-07 11:41   
Quote:

On 2004-04-07 10:45, Jesterrr wrote:
Wyke, you cannot seriously be from Hull

If i found out you're anywhere near where i am now i'm gonna come kick you in the arse out of principle.

I seriously can! Where do you think I got the name from ? Hull Born and breed, me. Trying looking up the name used in my email address in the Hull Phone book, or the email provider you if you dont believe me.

So whats your connection to Hull ? Your profile if void of any detail.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-04-07 12:24 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Jesterrr
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-07 13:31   
Yeah.. i didn't actually mean 'you can't possbly etc etc.' literally

I'm a student here, and leaving very soon if i get my way, lol

Seraph
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:23   
Then we can have people fighting over it and changing it every 20 mins? I say no, faction specfic forum would suck cause anyone could read it, faction specific chat would create evem MORE spam......

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:53   
Seraph outlines the problems very well.

As a staff, and as Dev's, the idea of Faction-specific things have been discussed... and generally found to be too easy to exploit to put in. Or, if we do put them in, people won't want to provide any specific or terribly useful information in them, due to the risk of spying. Or they could put deceptive info in there, making nobody trust whatever they find.

The main problem is how to determine what faction people are on. If you're in a clan, its not too difficult, and technically we can figure it out from your last chosen faction in the MV.. but now Indies can choose their faction when they log in. This makes it so that you can basically read any forum you want (or have access to chat or whatever) by just logging into the MV for 20 seconds.

One option from that would just be to allow only clan members to access these forums or communication facilities. However, then we're leaving out a good number of players as well as subtly encouraging (or even requiring) clan membership. While our most powerful players are usually in clans and so this wouldn't affect them too much, we do have a few vocal community members we wouldn't want to hurt with this setup.

I am personally not opposed to the idea of a faction-specific communication facility (whether its chat, a forum, or some other novel idea).. the problem is making it secure enough to be useful yet not overly restrictive.

If you think you can develop a system which would solve the problems I've outlined here, feel free to suggest it - I'd love to hear your idea. I am fully in support of having certain things based on your faction, we just need to overcome a few problems first.

Email Shigernafy
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-07 15:06   
Well, Shig, how about:

For starters, I would really like a more interactive MV map in the Lobby. One that can be zoomed in on and rotated, like the Nav map, but not as detailed...A tactical Map?

Idea 1
When I, as a [S.W] clan memeber, views the Metaverse Map from the Lobby, an indicator of where in the M.V. my other clan members are located appears as a flashing Circle around the system.

Fleetless players would have no need of this as they have no clan members. From looking at the dispostion on your clan within the M.V. you can narrow down the probable 'Hot Spots'

Why not just /send c and find out that way? They could be AFK or, more likely, in the heat of combat...a bit too busy to respond.

Though, this would not provide all the necessary information that I wish could be provided, it would be fair for both Fleeted and Fleetless players.

Idea 2
Not as fair as idea 1. When viewing the Metaverse Map from the lobby, Fleeted players can see the location of Their faction's ships and the location of Enemy ships visible to the friendlies.

A Blue ring would appear around stars with friendlies...zoom in and a blue dot would show the last updated location of a friendly - - no names or ships...but if possible, why not.

A Red Ring around a system would show the system where Enemy is located, zoom in and ..

A Flashing Red Ring shows a system where Friendlies and Enemies are located.

Of course, this would only be available to Fleets, as they are less likely to simply switch sides once learning the intelligence....which is why it would be less fair.

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-07 20:50   
faction specific chat? hell no... you add that on top of everyone blabbering away across MV already...

id seriously hunt down and kill the Dev that put that in...

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-08 01:34   
Good point; with global faction chat, its not so much of an issue anymore. The only use would really be to request help from those not in the MV.. but you can join the chat room easily enough, and that just leaves the scenario servers. So its not quite as necessary.

As for Juxt's fun idea of exciting web-page based nav maps... that would require something:
1. far beyond my programming skill
2. dynamic
3. more powerful than a simple PNG file.

Basically, this would either require some sort of java applet, or perhaps a flash file (though I don't know how those really work). Basically, I can't make what you're requesting without something more than simple static image files.

Unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding. Theoretically it COULD be done via images like what we have, with just an extension of the capabilities - ie, clicking on a system shows more detail about the system in question. But still, that's a very complicated system... I think I'd sooner want to upgrade our forums.. :/

Email Shigernafy
Bad_Skeelz
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-08 02:27   
Man I hate when these threads come up. Everyone goes "Oooooh the Indies will screw us over blah blah blah". Hmph. I can count on one hand all my major faction switches, and we all know that theres fleets that jump around more than a kangaroo with a fill bladder. But I don't see anyone saying "OHHH the fleets will spy!".

Hmmm.

Maybe some sort of Faction Honor list could be set up to determine who sees what. People with a known history of faction hopping would of course be on a need to know basis (same applies to hopper fleets), while more....loyal players would have full access to any faction wide notices.

-Excerpt from Vice Admiral Skeelz's court-martial regarding the malignant boiling and eating of K'luth prisoners of war.

Email Bad_Skeelz
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-08 04:14   
Join the chatroom...

That raises an interesting if somewhat useless question there Mr Shig,

What exactly is the point of the Metaverse room? granted it was around before faction-wide chatter, so could possibly have been used for two Fleets in two systems to co-ordinate.. but aside from that, anyone can see what is happening...

Was just curious is all (Had a lot of free time lately so the mind has wondered)

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-08 04:44   
Quote:

On 2004-04-08 01:34, Shigernafy wrote:
I think I'd sooner want to upgrade our forums.. :/

Offtopic: The forum remembering you would be nice
And it shouldnt be to much work either.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-08 08:52   
I realise there could be an issue with spys but I think the benefits would out way the draw backs. At the moment there is no effective way to communicate with all allied fleets. So even a flawed system would be an improvement.

If a player want to announce a taskforce with an objective in mind he can, he doesn't have to announce all the details, just a starting date/time and system and perhaps some requirements.

This is little more data than signals intelligence often provides in real military terms. Ok the opposing side can make plans perhaps even make accurate guesses but they will not know the objective or plan. The details of which can be communicated through more secure faction chat. Which is not that secure anyway. I've seen some Indies swap factions in the same battle and I can't every recall them disclosing anything significant.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-04-08 09:00 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029395 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR