Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Manual Shutdown - The WH.
 Author Manual Shutdown - The WH.
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-04-18 21:26   
Just like the title, its pretty obvious what this is about, the WH.

If you can open one up, why cant you close it too? Would make keeping the enemy following you through it, so that you can actually keep your station longer than 5 minutes after an engagement.

Of course, this could be the subject of debate, because then we have to decide how to limit it.I thought that, just like opening a WH, closing it, could also fail, so its never a sure fire thing, also, the probability of it failing to close it is much higher than the one opening it.

Also, by manually closing it, you infilct dammage unto the WH drive, just like when you used to hit the Ejump, itd dammage your JD.

Just a thought...and a damn good one, and between us, thats saying something.

-Ent

***EDIT
*** Updated last line to witty remark, fixed numerous spelling errors.

[small][ This Message was edited by: Enterprise (Recruiting) on 2004-04-18 21:30 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise (Recruiting) on 2004-04-18 21:31 ]

MoD
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-18 21:35   
Quote:

On 2004-04-18 21:26, Enterprise (Recruiting) wrote:

Of course, this could be the subject of debat, ..........

Just thought I might correct your spelling of “Debat” , Debate is the correct spelling.

But I Agree with your Idea.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-18 21:46   
Quote:

Also, by manually closing it, you infilct dammage unto the WH drive, just like when you used to hit the Ejump, itd dammage your JD.

***EDIT[/i]*** Updated last line to witty remark, fixed numerous spelling errors.

its DAMAGE not dammage, so think u missed one more /fluffle ....

otherwise a cool idea...

Vesuvius
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-18 21:54   
Here's an idea:

1) Make the WH device a high power use device that can be activated/deactivated like an interdictor, except it has a recharge time similar to the current device. My theory here is that the initial charge is required to open the WH and then power is required to maintain the WH stability.
2) It does pretty much the same thing as it does now, except the WH stays open until a) the device is turned off or b) the ship's power reserves are depleted.
3) It does not start recharging until the WH collapses.

Also, I think it would be interesting if the WH was one-way but that's just me.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-04-18 22:16   
I agree with that idea.but wh should be a lot more reliable.pretty bad when you going from 1 friendly planet to another,shutting down both dictor bases,and it fails 5 out of 6 tries at 600 out from planet.When I set it 1 k. from planet and was still 600 out myself ended up 1700 out from planet.I WANT MY JUMP DRIVE BACK!

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-18 23:18   
I like the two-way version. That makes it a bit more strategic, since you then have: 1. a retreat. 2. a way for the enemy to bite back, at your expense.

I also don't think you should be able to close it, at least not in its current form. This is because it is 1. independant of its creator as soon as its made, and 2. more strategic this way. Again, if you create a way to move yourself that is so powerful, I like that it has the tradeoff of allowing enemies to move as well.

And plunge, if you want a jump drive, fly another ship.

Email Shigernafy
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-18 23:28   
Quote:

Just a thought...and a damn good one, and between us, thats saying something.

Well, e-jumping no longer damages your jump drive.

I don't like this idea. I've had my stations chased, and I've chased them. It makes you think twice before you open that WH in the middle of the enemy fleet. Don't stir up the hornets nest unless you can deal with it, closing it is for wimps.

And I want a JD on my station too; I like jumping on stuff. Pesky frigate? Manually target him, and swat him like a fly! Dread running away from you? Get that sonuvagun! Nothing nearly as scary in DS as a station popping of a jump on top of your ship. Yikes!

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-04-19 02:29   

IF I dont fly station.you'll rarely see one.and thats the point.already a FPOST....give it some sort of advantage.already nerfed the troop carrying.takes less effort and skill to kill a station than a tranny almost.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-19 13:50   
maybe a worm hole device can open or close not both. therefor it would take two stations to open a worm hole, and another to close it. =)

good idea methinks

Email Meko
DarkestVorlon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-19 16:52   
How is it strategic when a enemy can follow yuo to yuor home system without using thier own drives more then maybe once when they intercept yuo the first time?

Want strategy? here's what you do.

1) WH is NOT independant after created or it would be a PERMENENT fixture in the game, the amount of energy required to create and stabilise a artificial S/T Singularity is astronomical and is dependent on the creating ships systems/reserves

2) WH's are very BRIGHT on the map. When a ship jumps everyone in that system, possibly even the neighbooring systems see's it for a second or two, plus the navigation information as to origination point.

This does two things, first off it removes the unbalanced ability for say Kluth to sent a fleet of ships behind a JC on its return trip under cloak and attack the CD home systems without using thier drives once. Plus since the gate shows up to everyone within a WIDE distance, a enemy can plot a intercept course of backtrack a ship to its homesystem IF they have the skill to do so
Former Member of Agents.
Former Member of NX.
Founding and former member of KIGR.

Email DarkestVorlon
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-19 17:25   
I'm gonna have to go with Shig's opinion on this one. I think being able to just even create something akin to a WH is a far-fetched enough for this game's timeline...

But maybe that's just the Star Trek talking.

Fleet Admiral Tbone
Commander of the NSS Red Lobster

[ This Message was edited by: T "I Need Better Sarcasm" Bones on 2004-04-19 17:26 ]

Email Tbone
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-19 17:52   
Your creating a fold in space between two points that are many lightyears apart.

Perhaps you can't simply "shut it off" without causing some kind of catastrophy on your ship, or the space immediatly around the endpoints (where your ship is).

Email Gideon
Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-19 19:42   
why cant u close it by shooting it with cls? just an idea little more realistic i think

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 02:51   
demp, if energy could shut it down when the engines of say a ship perhaps, ran through it....... boomb.

i like that idea of the open WH, close it and thins get hurt.... exept, that would spawn a whole new veriety of "cheap tactics"

i still say, takes one WHD to make WH and one to shut it down.

Email Meko
Page created in 0.025242 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR