Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Players Switching Factions in Metaverse
 Author Players Switching Factions in Metaverse
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-21 02:42   
This is rapidly becoming my pet peeve and cause.
I am kinda P.O. ed to see players switching sides during battles in the Metaverse.

Specific examples include SEa Monkey who played UGTO for half of a battle on April 19th and then the other half for the ICC. I don't think this should be allowed and I've posted my rational for this on the forum before. It destroys the teamwork idea behind fleets an factions in the metaverse. Let players try out different factions in non permanent servers but not in the Metaverse where they can give away information and betray hard earned gains. It is more excusable for SEamonkey who is unaffiliated but then again, behaviour like that leaves all unaffliliated players suspect.

On April 19 and 20 the UGTO players were fighting in Delta Pav. In the early part of that battle -$/P-Admiral Maximus and -$/P- Dempster were playing with the UGTO. Then by the evening of the 20th they were witnessed by Thug, myself and a few other UGTO players Capping Centurious in the Critium system for the ICC.

I truely don't get how affiliated players can switch sides in the metaverse without penalty. If I am outta line here and don't understand some basic concept about the game, please fill me in.

Again, for development purposes and to make the game enjoyable. I think this behaviour should be banned.

Thanks
Aragorn

[small][ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-21 02:46 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-22 02:28 ]

Email Aragorn
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-04-21 19:16   
so do a lot of us.......but then....guess we dont count.I could care less whether the player lives or dies if a know faction switcher...

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-21 22:42   
I can understand new players switching factions, espeacially now that the MV is where most of the game play goes on. Everyone should be allowed to try out each faction to see which they prefer.

However, I do think there should be SOME restriction as to how often you can change factions. Maybe once every 30 days.

It is annoying though to find yourself fighting someone who 10 minutes earlier was on your side.

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-04-21 23:12   
It was Dempster not demorian and I who by the way.. Started that entire battle in DP by capping the system in the first place for UGTO. So you can thank us for making the game so fun for everyone. So far every day has been filled with battle in that system and many people are gaining points and pres, thanks to Dempster and I.
And yes, now we are ICC, a decision made by a clan vote by the way, and one does not leave a clan if the clan desides to change factions unless all they like is the faction and not the clan. I happen to like everyone in my clan so I go where they go.
As far as giving away secrets of the UGTO faction.... well in all honesty thats part of war and thats what this is. You should be more concerned with clanless players who can change faction while in the middle of battle than an entire clan change. After all a player without ties is more likely to give away information and resources than one who belongs to a clan.

Maximus

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-04-21 23:50   
like some ppl on clans give away fation planned attacks huh?

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-22 02:38   
Firstly, thank you to Admiral Maximus for the correction, I meant to write Demptser and that has now been editied.

Also, thank you for letting us know that you team voted on changing sides. That is good to know as well since I am still relatively new here and and finding out how this game is played.

I think it's a shame you switched sides. All the same I will take great pleasure in destroying you for it.

I still feel that individuals switching teams is a behaviour that should be punished but when an entire team switches..... well thats different.

To answer Plungejet. I don't know what the whiney tone is for.... oh yeah, your ICC . Of course ICC players opinon matter as do Kluth. This topic affects the game play as a whole not isolated to one faction. I support your hard line attitude because it reflects my own.

I think players can get all the taste of combat they need outside the metaverse and shouldn't be taste testing in it. Switching teams because you feel like it destroys the notion of teams and fleets.

Overall I think this game rocks and I love playing it. I like some of my team mates and I get along with some of my opponents too. I am just voicing what I think should be preserved and strengthened in it.

Aragorn

[ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-22 02:40 ]

Email Aragorn
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-22 11:26   
normally i wouldnt agree with the enemy, but he has a point... the scenarios are there for playing other factions, MV is hardly the persistant universe its supposed to be if people can switch at the drop of a hat.

DivisionByZero
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 16:25   
I'd like to suggest that the following occur to those people who faction hop in the MV.

Remove rank.

Plain and simple. when people join new organizations, they typically get to start from the bottom up. If you're a general in the russian army, ok, maybe you're not going to defect and go back to private, but, I doubt very much that they'd just as soon hand you the general rank right back.

Anyways, as this relates to DS. I suggest that if someone changes factions, they get bumped down to commander or something small. Keep track of two separate ranks in case they play on the scenario servers and in no way penalize their overall score. But, for all intents and purposes, inside the MV, they have been demoted and need to work back up.

Faction hopping is just about killing MV play right now. I was attempting to cap a planet FOR ICC, but, my infantry were removed so that a specific fleet could take the planet instead. Now, after hearing what happened to Darcel, this makes sense now. But, at the time I was pretty mad about it. If it's come down to the point where we can't have unaffiliated planets anymore for fear of sabotage from faction hoppers/jerks, then something really really needs to be done about it.

Undertaker
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 17:30   
hey guys faction hopping as been going on for yrs in DS ... if theres a winning side ppl r going to be drawen to it theres no way around it ... ppl pay X amount of money to play a game and to have fun ... the key word is FUN, so in DS u do get the choice (if u r not on a fleet) to go to any faction u want .... The first week when i started playing DS i was ICC until 1 day i was sittin around in space minding my own biz and suddenly out of the blue a strange orange and redish ship appear right in front of me and scared the crap out of me cause i had NO idea who or what it was cause i was so new to the game ..well anyway he said Hi and killed me ... well after that day i join the Kluth and have been kluth ever sence... but some times there is a need to change. ppl change cause they want to be on the winning team and u cant change that cause its just the way we are..and im saying we the Human race.
Im not here to knock any1 ..
when ugglys where doing good way back when and even now ... ppl moved over there ...when kluth was doing good (when the cloaked worked) ppl move there.. and the same goes with the ICC last yr or even now ... do u guys see a pattern here if u humans didnt noice that there are not that many kluth anymore cause some of them went to the winning team ... well thats all i got for now.

Undertaker out.....

Email Undertaker
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 17:57   
Undertaker,
for those that want to play this game and have "fun" just shooting people or to be on the winning side no matter what....( my how impressive ).... then switching sides is no problem.

and those same people should maybe have their own server for that...

however,

the rules of Darkspace seem to have been created for those of us that want to take the game more seriously. Please read the section on backstabbing and sabotage in the code of conduct. It is not welcome and I think a large number of us play the game for more than just being the "winner" it is to play as a team and to win or lose as a team.

In which case, players with inferiority complexes who just have to win are not welcome.

Email Aragorn
Undertaker
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 18:45   
Quote:

On 2004-04-26 17:57, Aragorn wrote:
Undertaker,
for those that want to play this game and have "fun" just shooting people or to be on the winning side no matter what....( my how impressive ).... then switching sides is no problem.

and those same people should maybe have their own server for that...

however,

the rules of Darkspace seem to have been created for those of us that want to take the game more seriously. Please read the section on backstabbing and sabotage in the code of conduct. It is not welcome and I think a large number of us play the game for more than just being the "winner" it is to play as a team and to win or lose as a team.

In which case, players with inferiority complexes who just have to win are not welcome.

1) Dont preach to me the ROC's i've been here alot longer then u and for taking the game more seriously, i wouldnt be here if i didnt..

2)sabotage should be delt w/ by the Adimin.. if there r ppl who r sabotaging the planets that r on the same faction should be reported the the adimin or the mod in the chat room...

3)backstabbing it happens in the real world also ..so get use to it..

Email Undertaker
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 23:01   
Doesn't matter how LONG you've been here. It doesn't make your opinon more valid that newer players. Darkspace is growing up. Need I say more....

Over time we will IMPROVE the game... Yes of course there is sabotage and traitors in real life.... Duuuh...... that why we have words for them. However, this is not real life it is a game. It is a game where it is far to easy for players witha MUST WIN attitude to switch off ENTIRE planets. That is Ridiculous so unless you want the entire game to degenerate to that sort of behaviour.....

.... and I'll quote you what I like. Especially from the Code of Conduct.
Like This:
The list of all exploits currently forbidden for use by ANY participants:

Backstabbing/Sabotage/Spying/Griefing

Description: A member of a team intentionally firing on teammates, bombing/scrapping planet resources, and/or giving intelligence to the enemy to the detriment of the team.

Why Its an Exploit: In DarkSpace, team damage is always considered on. Thus, the ability for a player to attack his teammates for no other reason than to disrupt play (or to play saboteur) cannot be easily addressed. In addition, the game design does not provide for the elements of spying or sabotage.

Elaboration: People who do this solely to disrupt the game are the foremost targets of this rule. In other games, this is often called griefing, or is caused by grief players.

How bout in full.....

3.3 Current DarkSpace Game Exploits
Exploitation is one of the most common problems in many multiplayer games. It can take many forms, with effects upon the game ranging from very subtle to game-breakingly grandiose. Primarily, it has to do with players taking advantage of weaknesses in the game system or content in order to gain an unfair advantage over other players. Most of the time, these weaknesses are caused by bugs or poorly balanced rules.

The simplest definition of exploitation is playing the game system instead of playing the game. Also, playing the game in ways it is not meant to be played for any form of personal gain, be it in-game resources or entertainment value. Such definitions are ambiguous at best, however, so they must be further defined and exemplified. To this end, a list shall be maintained in this section of all current exploits that are actionable by the game officials. Please note that this list is subject to change from time to time as the underlying game is strengthened or other bugs/weaknesses are unintentionally introduced. It is the responsibility of all game participants to keep up with this section and, indeed, the rest of this document.

he list of all exploits currently forbidden for use by ANY participants:

Backstabbing/Sabotage/Spying/Griefing

Description: A member of a team intentionally firing on teammates, bombing/scrapping planet resources, and/or giving intelligence to the enemy to the detriment of the team.

Why Its an Exploit: In DarkSpace, team damage is always considered on. Thus, the ability for a player to attack his teammates for no other reason than to disrupt play (or to play saboteur) cannot be easily addressed. In addition, the game design does not provide for the elements of spying or sabotage.

Elaboration: People who do this solely to disrupt the game are the foremost targets of this rule. In other games, this is often called griefing, or is caused by grief players.

These are not my rules. These are the rules posted by Palestar. The are a part of the game. Wouldn't it be just swell that after two years of playing the game Darkspace, you could get into the spirit of it as it was designed.

[ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-26 23:08 ]

[small][ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-26 23:12 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Aragorn on 2004-04-26 23:15 ]

Email Aragorn
TAZ
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 23:27   
I totally agree with aragorn......and undertaker......I, as Im sure many others in the DS comunity, could give a rats ass how long you have been playing!! If you have not taken the time to read and understand the ROC then you are wrong!!

Rules apply to all with equal weight and cannot be disregarded by one individual or another because they believe that somehow that rule does not apply to them!! If you are breaking said rules even slightly, then you are breaking the rules and desearve to be dealt with accordingly!!

[ This Message was edited by: TAZ on 2004-04-26 23:29 ]

Email TAZ   Goto the website of TAZ
Page created in 0.019067 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR