No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » long term "benefit" of controlling MV space
 Author long term "benefit" of controlling MV space
Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-25 22:48   
this is a real concern and feedback, i have several friends who have played darkspace off-and-on over the years. their biggest and most poignant comment after a month of "playing" darkspace is:

Its fun as heck.. but whats the point?

the point is there is no point to the metaverse.. there is no reward for controlling the metaverse.. in fact, there is a negative benefit if one faction controls major portions of the MV.. the other factions give up and stop playing, or they switch factions..

there needs to be a long term "goal" in the metaverse, or a more long term benefit to controlling portions of the metaverse.. one such benefit could be implemented "Dark Age of Camelot" style.. with faction bonuses for controlling certain systems/planets.

example: ICC captures a planet in the far Ross 348 system. This planet can either have a hidden flag or just be plain flagged as a "bonus artifact" planet.

reward: gives all ICC shields +5% damage absorption.

the total effect: gives a faction a decided reward for capturing and keeping certain systems. gives the opposing faction a key target they want to prevent the other faction from attaining. and all sorts of rewards can be flagged from bonus damage to bonus shields, bonus power regen etc...

the key is to make the bonus tangible.. but not overpowering..

the "Simple" way to implement this is at the daily reset, parse the current planet "control" list. if Owner.of.bonus.planet=ICC then (modify ICC database and increase shield damage absorption by 5%).

if you only parse the control of each "Artifact planet" once a day, that requires the faction to control it for 24 hours before they gain the bonus and keeps you from having to make changes to the bonuses too often (since "in my eyes" you just go and modify the database for ship statistics/components for each faction)

anyhow! relatively minor to implement methinks and possibly very positive improvement to long term playability of the MV.

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-25 23:03   
well before the server messages beleive it or not it was actually possible to cap the entire mv but now that never happens... owell i miss .140

Jamma
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-26 03:17   
Ooh.. I love it! And this is something DS _really_ needs!

Altho, I think the bonuses should be system based. This would probably cause less fluctuation so it could be updated more often, and (i wish!) less planethugging.

[ This Message was edited by: Jamma (nocturnal) on 2004-04-26 03:18 ]

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-26 09:42   
I completely agree Southpark, I also think that we should reduce the size of the MV... we should use the MV map from when 1481 was first released... that was a perfect sized map that fairly well forced combat in the middle

Page created in 0.007812 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR