No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Why is the DEV of DS so secret
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Why is the DEV of DS so secret
Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-04 03:24   
Ive been reading through these forums,only to find nothing as to whats coming up. Unless you count threads that are months old. I mean what are you people working on besides bug fixes. Ive never seen a game DEV staff so uptight and not wanting to talk about whats happening behind the IRON CERTAIN.

So I,ll make a few suggestions to the Dev.

1. Remove SY it sucks players can spawn much faster much closer to battle. It,s also made traveling the MV pointless I can now magically appear just about anywhere on map. Sorry but thats just plain silly.

2.The new map needs to go it,s made stratigy pointless. Why?? not enough players. for such a large map. there is no certain flight path to any system. Bring the old map back and go from there with a few new systems. This would mean larger battles, easyer to defend space.

3.This new wormhole thing should be limited to the command dread not the
station.BOOM there is your GA ship remove the crappy fighter bay add the Wormhole device and a few more defensive weapons.This thing with mobile SY that has been suggested is stupid.Sorry but it,s the truth.

4. Bring back the old mission system. it easyer for players to make money. The average cost of a properly modded ship is between 50k and 140k.

5. Add ai pirates to spice things up a bit.Or make new entities monsters things of that nature. You already have the perfect models for pirates sitting in a hardrive somewhere collecting dust.

6.Give us more weapons to choose from we have been using the same weopons for almost 2 years.I mean sheesh I even recall Fuastus saying it doesnt take much coding to make a new weapon. When the guass gun came out I remember everyone rushing to servers to check it out.

These are my suggestions to dev not a rant we as players can only do so much to bring players in. The rest is in your hands.

Email Beast
*Defiant*
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-05-04 03:41   
a full agree from me.

addition :

- remove the resbased shipselection in GA
i know u want to kill GA server but its the only place where u can check
all races all ships

- give stations the possibility to mount jumpdrives or WH Devices and give
em theyr 20 cargoslots back

- make bombing like in 1.480

- bring the balancepatch fast

Hellza - master
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-04 03:50   
well i agree to m8

Email Hellza - master
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-04 04:07   
I'll try to give you an Idea what development has been up to lately..

Shig has been developing Beach Parties *snicker*

Faustus has moved over a large distance including the Family and all his belongings. You can read it all here.

Obviously the #1 Top over-all-else super-priority is finding the cause for the "Input Lag" bug. Once that can be addressed, There are a number of changes to be made to enhance the Games backend Software in order to make 1.482 Possible.
Things are going along, there just isn't much to talk about.

> 1. Remove SY it sucks players can spawn much faster much closer to battle.
I agree that the current implementation of Shipyards is only a shadow of what it could (and should) be.

> 2.The new map needs to go it,s made stratigy pointless. Why?? not enough
I agree that the map leaves ground for a lot of improvement. (vast understatement)

> 3.This new wormhole thing should be limited to the command dread not the
I agree that the WH1 devices should be available to Command Class vessels.

> 4. Bring back the old mission system. it easyer for players to make money.
The Mission system will unfortunately not come back soon until a few Problems that are out of sight for the Player are solved, and the C/I System is partially implemented.

As far as Modding is concerned - i do not know how you are modding, but when you are simply replacing Items with the refit icons over the lower right Target Box after right-clicking them, the Game compensates your Credits.
MODDING IS FREE

> 5. Add ai pirates to spice things up a bit.Or make new entities monsters
Unfortunately this would require the implementation of proper AI pilot agents, something that currently does not exist at all. Therefore, AI ships are something you will not see until the very far future eventually.

> 6.Give us more weapons to choose from we have been using the same
You will be surprised at 1.482

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-04 04:09   
> i know u want to kill GA server but its the only place where u can check
> all races all ships
Fleetless Players can do that in the MV, too.

> - give stations the possibility to mount jumpdrives or WH Devices and give
> em theyr 20 cargoslots back
Why?

> - make bombing like in 1.480
AFAIK Faustus liked .480 Bombing, but the load problems this accomodated were not so easy to come by.

> - bring the balancepatch fast
I am sure everyone is working towards this best they can.

Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-04 04:30   
Yea and................. NEXT Excuse is ?????????????? sorry I,m tired of hearing
excuses.

Wait it,s gonna be 2 WEEKS or when it,s ready oh oh I know another bug popped up and that will take 2 weeks to fix.

Email Beast
Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-04 04:34   
On a second Note: DS DEV should be put in the guiness book of world records for the most excuses made as to why things dont get done.

Email Beast
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-04 05:11   
Or maybe you should be on the guiness world book of record for the most pointless whining.

Developers keep their information secret for a reason. Live with it. Also, unless you can provide Faustus a coding team, he is Darkspace's ONLY Coder at the present moment.

Goto the website of Novacat
Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-04 05:49   
Quote:
Ive been reading through these forums,only to find nothing as to whats coming up. Unless you count threads that are months old. I mean what are you people working on besides bug fixes. Ive never seen a game DEV staff so uptight and not wanting to talk about whats happening behind the IRON CERTAIN.

Check the Dev Log, but we do need to keep some things as surprizes,

Quote:
So I,ll make a few suggestions to the Dev.

1. Remove SY it sucks players can spawn much faster much closer to battle. It,s also made traveling the MV pointless I can now magically appear just about anywhere on map. Sorry but thats just plain silly.

First off, the current "Shipyard Concept" that is in game is not the originally proposed "Shipyard" system...Hopefully we (Dev Team) can go through and take care of the problem areas with this in the near future.

Quote:
2.The new map needs to go it,s made stratigy pointless. Why?? not enough players. for such a large map. there is no certain flight path to any system. Bring the old map back and go from there with a few new systems. This would mean larger battles, easyer to defend space.

Well, first off, I am quite biased in this area, since I am the one that put it together. Now, Please take note of this: This is a scaled back Phase 1, of many different phases I had worked out. As with every plan or concept, some things need to be changed to fit the situation. So, as time goes on and things progress, hopefully it will be cultivated into what I had planned.

Quote:
3.This new wormhole thing should be limited to the command dread not the station. BOOM there is your GA ship remove the crappy fighter bay add the Wormhole device and a few more defensive weapons.This thing with mobile SY that has been suggested is stupid.Sorry but it,s the truth.

Wormhole will probably be an ongoing development, Not going to comment further on this item.

Quote:
4. Bring back the old mission system. it easyer for players to make money. The average cost of a properly modded ship is between 50k and 140k.

The mission system was disabled as a new and comprehensive system is planned out and put into place. It will return down the road once we have revamped it.

Quote:
5. Add ai pirates to spice things up a bit.Or make new entities monsters things of that nature. You already have the perfect models for pirates sitting in a hardrive somewhere collecting dust.

Something that will probably happen eventually...other then that, not going to comment on this item.

Quote:
6.Give us more weapons to choose from we have been using the same weopons for almost 2 years.I mean sheesh I even recall Fuastus saying it doesnt take much coding to make a new weapon. When the guass gun came out I remember everyone rushing to servers to check it out.

Didn't I mention the Dev Log already? I believe I did, (Version 1.482, or the Upcoming Balance patch)

Quote:
These are my suggestions to dev not a rant we as players can only do so much to bring players in. The rest is in your hands.

Well Evil Wevil, even though I know you didn't want it to come off sounding like a whine/rant thread, it seems you are coming off that way, especially with your second post...However, I am going to ignore it and take your comments in a suggestion/comment type tone,

Quote:
Yea and................. NEXT Excuse is ?????????????? sorry I,m tired of hearing
excuses.

Wait it,s gonna be 2 WEEKS or when it,s ready oh oh I know another bug popped up and that will take 2 weeks to fix.

Quote:
Howdy,

Welp, we finally got about everything unpacked.... which took much longer than I anticipated. I'm finally ready to start trying to get some stuff finished up now that the move is completely over, and we are now settled in our new home.

I will be trying to wrap up the project/bug system this week, and hopefully moving onto the resourcer changes next week.

Thanks to everyone for their patience...
-Richard

-Taken from this thread

They aren't "Excuses", its a thing called "Reality". Faustus is going to start working on things again now that he can, and one of the items is going to allow the rest of the Dev Team greater access to game resources.

Anyways, Keep watching the Dev Log, and other Developer Announcements to come.

Thanks for your Input...

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-04 06:09   
Quote:

On 2004-05-04 03:24, Evil Wevil wrote:

The only point i agree with.
the New MV map is nice...if Ds had 1000 active players fighting at the same time. Unfortuantly it doesnt, the Mv would be far more action packed if it only had 10 systems, which would suit the current amount of players far better.

It might also fix the connection data tranfer problem (?) thats still preventing some players from being able to play in the MV without crashing into everything.
We can play in the Scen servers just fine.... 0.o

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-04 07:50   
Evil Wevil, you should know that Faustus is the only programmer(sp?) for DS. Also he neads to pay his bills, tus he had to move to another state because he found work there. But he works as fast as he can. I think DS his more transparent then other games(look at the DEV LOG).
Now quit your whining, and just be patient. Oh and talking of lag, I tried to play recently but could not control my ship... maybie I only got a small connection problem... im gonna check that tonight.(btw I still cant play in the MV for reason Ive mentionned in other posts, but I will be able to do it soon).

stuck in Univercity limbo

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-05-04 07:58   
DS is one of the best games i'v played..probably ever, and I for one am willing to sit back and wait for the patches and fixes....All great games have bugs and problems, Look at counter strike, they lost quite a few players due to steam and its HUGE amount of bugs, more so than darkspace, and they had 12 programs on just steam to fix it, and they DIDNT know what they where doing. Faustus knows this game, he will find a fix, and players will return....Its just a quirk time will fix.

SabelTooth
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-04 11:46   
Everytime I play this game I think about how cool it actually is....

Think of this: Humanity started with living in caves, boinking each other on the head with a club and hunting with a sharp metal thingy on a wooden stick...

Now we live in way to big houses with 6 computers on each chamber... we smack eatch other with EAD's and AM torpedo's and we go to the store or restaurant if we get hungry. *or order a pizza*

And it 's never enough...
We will end only when we have no more to consume..

So why whining about minor things like this? *I think its minor*
I like the game as it is and I know I'm not alone...

Just my 0.53 cents

DarkSpace Will Never Die.

[ This Message was edited by: SabelTooth{TECL #1} on 2004-05-04 11:47 ]

Email SabelTooth
*Defiant*
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-05-04 11:54   
wow sarcasm nice

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2004-05-04 15:39   
A Minor Issue with a smaller MV map is that one faction would take control of it in short time with the current system. The only reason the game is even partially balanced atm is the sheer ammount of space to fight over so it gives factions time to get together a defense and repel the invasion. A smaller MV under this version of DS would not allow this to happen.

New weapons etc have to wait until all the new ship loadout are completed, this will then allow room for new or different stuff to be introduced. At the moment most ships are very flexible in what they can do, but this needs to be reduced and limited in the interests of teamplay and gameplay balance. Then the dev team can work on the new devices etc. But all this needs to wait until Faustus can finsh their resourcer utility that will makle them be able to implement such changes without having to rewite vast swathes of game code. The first stages have been completed with the new backend and some issues are still occuring due to unforseen circumstances and the real lack of beta testing that was able to be done due to the low turnout for it.

I like the improvements so far.

We can all help with making the game better though. Instead of constant whinning about the lag try to record the situations in which it occurs and then post them in the forums. Without enough feedback it is hard to pin down exactly what causes these issues. It seems to be a few small problems that have a large combined effect so I ask you all just to pay some attention to the environment in which your 'lag' or more correctly 'syncronisation' issues occur and actually tell the DEV team about them.

Thankyou for your patience.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030846 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR