No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » A stall maybe...?
 Author A stall maybe...?
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-05-09 21:59   
I seem to have a recent problem with DS, and its worse than lag..

Over the past few weeks, everytime I connect to a DS server, 15 minutes into the time that I go in and everything, something funny happens.

My HD, starts emmit kind of a high pitched "whirring" almost like a blender set on high. It causes my internet to stop working (not disconnect mind you) just a basic stall, where your still conncted to the internet, but your not recieveing any information.

DS proceeds to disconnect, so I manually disconenct the internet and start it up again. Even then the internet continues to stall ( and the whirring goes on in my HD).

So what stops the "whirring"? After I reconnect to the internet and hit the reconnect button and the whirring stops. But DS freezes. And it doesnt unfreeze for about 5 minutes. Or not at all.

Anyone know what this is? Its driving me nuts.

-Ent

(***NOTE***-I also get this "whirring" whenever I play HW2 for longer than about an hour. But the "whirring" stops about 5min later too.)

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-09 23:11   
Ent. i had this problem before.

it happend originally after playign anygame for more than 30 minuts.

then it changed to 5 minuts after start up.

its nothing to do with any games, its your HD and u need a new motor in it.

my sujestion, get a new HD (unless its new) and get your HD "ghosted" onto the new one.

Email Meko
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-05-10 19:25   
It only seems to happen when my RAM usage exceeds around 350MB...thats when it seems to happen most often.

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-05-10 20:16   
Swap File...

thats the only thing that instantly jumps out at me when u said Ram

Daylight \"The Beginning\"
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-10 22:04   
Change your swap file settings and check to see if windows is managing your mem usage or if you have a manual override in use....

Basicly...your comp is overloading or freezing do to hardware restrictions controlled by software or hardware presets or size...

I think!

Email Daylight \
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-10 22:06   
hit your tower with a wrench.

TheEvilGriffin
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-11 01:32   
Sounds like a failing HD to me. Whats happening is the data for DS is probably on some bad sectors and when the system goes to access a file it fails and freezes the game.
Backup Data
Replace HD

Email TheEvilGriffin
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-11 02:58   
Make a Backup and replace the disk immediately. It is most likely broken and on a high risk to lose even more data

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-05-12 19:34   
It definantly is not the HD, its litterally as brand new as ever.

Also, this whirring sound...the only times I have experianced it, is when the HD has been on for several hours (around 4-5) and has been processing alot of game data....

More specifically, after letting the HD settle down for around an hour, the whirring does not come up. Additionally, the whirring, only seems to affect the internet. It does not, effect any processes that are currently at work (unless related to an active internet connection) and doesnt seem to be causing any errors, except for the loss of a connection to the internet, if present.

When you mentioned bad sectors, I decided to run a scan on my C:/ drive with, Scan Disk, since this particular beauty has reparied my previous ocmputer before this one I have here, I decided to give it a go.

It turns out that there were no errors. And I decided to run the entire system, just in case. Sitll none, this took several hours.

I then decided, upon the many thing that my crazy mind comes up with, was to completely reinstall the drivers, components, and the entire OS of my HP.

Well, it did something,at least, I have yet to experiance any "whirring" from my HD, in fact, I dont think my HD has run any smoother. But at a terrible price. Having no blank CDs or even a floppy to back up all my data, every ounce of it is lost.

So im sitting here, typing away, while im waiting for the accursed slow dialup to finish DLing DS again/

Also, you guys mentioned swap files? Can you be more specific on how I can view this info?

-Ent

Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-05-12 19:39   
its the HD i had that problem in november

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-12 20:07   
Quote:

On 2004-05-10 19:25, Enterprise (Recruiting) wrote:
It only seems to happen when my RAM usage exceeds around 350MB...thats when it seems to happen most often.

-Ent

This sound like some called disk thrashing, and is usually associated with virtual memory size.

What happens is some software is asking for more and more memory, and your OS is trying to provide it as virtual memory which is stored on disk and not in RAM. Eventually you have so much virtual memory stored on your disk, you machine is using the disk constantly.

The next time this happens, check out your running application's memory usage, this depends on what OS your using, XP is CTRL+ALT+DEL, older windows version have a seperate resource monitor program you can run in the background. Turn on the page fault column this should spend more of its time at or near 0 and spike occasionally <30. If it much higher than that .

Checkout the Virtual memory setting, and make sure that windows is managing this its self.

The fact this is happening when you access the internet suggest to me that it is something related your net s/w. I assume your not running file sharing, or other network service, when using DS and your fully patched. It could just possible be a internet worm, do you use a firewall, anti-virus s/w ?

If not down load adaware from lava soft and run that, which will pick up most thing.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-05-12 20:19 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-05-13 06:59   
defrag, fixes the aftermath of thrashing

Page created in 0.025329 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR