No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mines--Fix Needed
 Author Mines--Fix Needed
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-14 01:40   
Mines are now relegated to offensive weapons, precisely what the [Dev] team didn't want. Why, you ask? Because you can see them when they are laid, without scanners.

Why has this come about? It's silly. A ship can waltz along with its lasers on Point Defense and clear any mines it finds. Also, planet defense bases see and shoot down mines. Now, the only way to use mines and cause any damage is to lay them as quickly as you can so the ship you are attacking does not have a chance to react to them. Offensively.

Previously, laying a field was possible, as the only way they could be detected was to A) hit the field, B) get really close, which was dangerous, as to clear them you had to shoot them and normally some collateral damage was taken, C) use a scanner, or D) see the miner lay the field. The field remained hidden, and enemies didn't know about it until they died.

Now, no matter where mines are layed, they are seen. Enemies shoot them, and laying mines is dangerous if you were to, say, lay mines around an enemy shipyard, because the planets defenses would shoot the mines you were laying and would hurt you.

I, along with some of my colleagues, believe this new system to be a quick fix. Fine, some believed a new system was needed, others didn't. That isn't the debate. But the mine slot has been limited as well, and that has all but killed mines as an offensive weapon, That was the goal, I'm sure, and it has succeeded. I think the limiting of the mine slot would have accomplished this just as easily, and effectively. Personally, I would like a return to the old system until a real system is brought about, but we all know that will not happen.

Not everyone can have everything they want, and so we have to adapt and overcome, but for a long while, this has been a community that has had a lot of input and say into what the Devs are doing, insofar as to what works in actual play, and what doesn't. The current mine system doesn't.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-14 02:09   
yeah stealthy mines are better. Bito pointe out exactly what i thought. I saw an ICC laying a big field so I just jumped in and used manual CL2k along with point defense and not only ruined a lot of the guys work but damaged the ship laying them as well. Mines the old way were better.

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-14 02:18   
No point in laying mines when the enemy can see them from 500 gu away, now is there? At least the old system forced someone to use a scanner, or tipy toe around the miner's domain.

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-14 03:18   
i must agree with bito, but i watched a peticularly smart "newbie" today int he mv.......

minelayer dessey lays a strip of mines right outside the jump gate.... EAD jumps in (Sry bdubs) and gets NUKED. it was very funny.

but so far this is the only defencive use ive seen

Email Meko
Majin Buu
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2004-05-14 03:39   
well, mines don't show up for me. it seems just like the old version. i just ran into a mine field and lost and didn't see the mines.

MishimaYukio
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-14 03:52   
hey, im not *that* new to DS, been around since feb 2003. anyway, i gotta admit it was great seeing uggy after uggy slam into my mines over and over, got over 300 pres in an hour.

MishimaYukio
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-14 03:53   
oh, and buu, the reason why the mines didnt show up is because you JUST joined a new zone and your client hasnt synced yet.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-14 05:28   
You need ECCM to see them mines, tho one is enough.

There is a little Trick tho.. im afraid this is classified Raven only

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-14 07:24   
yeah if u got a ecm frigate u can hide em... kinda sad that u even need one though

Page created in 0.015116 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR