No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Code Update 6/7/2004...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Code Update 6/7/2004...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:09   
Unicode conversion of the engine, DarkSpace, and GameCQ is completed, but untested. I will be updating beta in a couple of days with the new version, after I finish the resourcer changes.

Resourcer version control is 85% completed, still need to add functionality to rollback asset changes, history code, and needed interface changes for the resourcer.

So far, all the code I've tested with the new unicode strings, has worked with no problems or crashes... so I think it's going to be pretty seemless once it goes beta.

Lastly, and best of all... I think I've determined a way to fix the lag issues once and for all time. Up to now, I've been using 1 TCP stream to communicate all data between the client and server, which leads to one important problem. When receiving events (verbs) for a Noun, order is important. However, order is NOT important between 2 different nouns, but due to the TCP stream, a verb for one ship, might get held up for many seconds while trying to make sure all previous data has been received.

The solution, is to roll my own UDP based stream solution, but with the ability to send data through multiple channels, each channel independent of all other channels (i.e. an error receiving data on channel 1, doesn't hold up data being received on channel 2). I expect this task to take no more than 1 or 2 weeks to implement and test.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Crash003
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:11   
YAY!!!! no more lag!!!

Email Crash003   Goto the website of Crash003
Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:13   
And there was much rejoicing.

Huzzah!

-Rock

Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:22   
Quote:

On 2004-06-07 16:09, Faustus wrote:
Unicode conversion of the engine, DarkSpace, and GameCQ is completed, but untested. I will be updating beta in a couple of days with the new version, after I finish the resourcer changes.

Resourcer version control is 85% completed, still need to add functionality to rollback asset changes, history code, and needed interface changes for the resourcer.

So far, all the code I've tested with the new unicode strings, has worked with no problems or crashes... so I think it's going to be pretty seemless once it goes beta.

Lastly, and best of all... I think I've determined a way to fix the lag issues once and for all time. Up to now, I've been using 1 TCP stream to communicate all data between the client and server, which leads to one important problem. When receiving events (verbs) for a Noun, order is important. However, order is NOT important between 2 different nouns, but due to the TCP stream, a verb for one ship, might get held up for many seconds while trying to make sure all previous data has been received.

The solution, is to roll my own UDP based stream solution, but with the ability to send data through multiple channels, each channel independent of all other channels (i.e. an error receiving data on channel 1, doesn't hold up data being received on channel

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Quote:

2). I expect this task to take no more than 1 or 2 weeks to implement and test.

-Richard

Ohh no, 2 weeks?? To quote a well known figure in this game that i actually talked with when writing this (Grim)... we're screwed!! (j/k)

Val

edit: Spelling

Been dealing out lag in your neighbourhood since 2001

- Captain of Assault Cruiser 'ICS Bona Gratia'
- Captain of Assault Dreadnought 'ICS Saintus Antonius'

[ This Message was edited by: Valerius{DK} on 2004-06-07 16:23 ]

Email Valerius{DK}
JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:31   
Heh... the slew of Two Weeks™ jokes are already coming...

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:38   
two weeks™ ! oo noooooo (two weeks™ is a trade mark of palestar that can span from anywhere, but not limited to two weeks to infiniti) (somethin like that)

[ This Message was edited by: Sarge on 2004-06-07 17:47 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-06-07 16:51   
Seriously, how long can it take to write my own socket code using UDP, it seriously make only take a day or two... I'm giving myself 2 weeks, just to be safe

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-06-07 17:23   
Great that rescourcer is what the Dev team realy needs

Quote:

On 2004-06-07 16:09, Faustus wrote:

The solution, is to roll my own UDP based stream solution, but with the ability to send data through multiple channels, each channel independent of all other channels (i.e. an error receiving data on channel 1, doesn't hold up data being received on channel 2). I expect this task to take no more than 1 or 2 weeks to implement and test.

-Richard

and this little piece above is probably the BEST update ever given before the 1481 release

- Axi

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-06-07 17:26   
For some reason all that mumbo jumbo actually made sense when you said "No more lag."

1-2 weeks starting (presses stopwatch)..now.

-Ent

**EDIT** - Hideous typos could not be allowed - changed.

"In anything you do, there is no such thing as 'I cant'." - Warren Plasterer

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise! on 2004-06-07 17:47 ]

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-07 17:37   
and the birth of a new DS era is in the brewing

Email Meko
I Strangled a Princess!
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-07 17:44   
We need to break this Two Weeks™ curse once and for all!

kailii
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-07 18:31   
So the answer to the final question (no, not 42) as to why all the MMOs out there use UDP instead of TCP for all basic stuff is going to light up quite some torches.
F, just don't think about bringing any kind of economy - as in trading - to DS as a planned move somewhere in the future. Because this stuff would have to be implemented via TCP again, or you'll never get ahead of the possible exploits.
Hope i managed to confuse you a bit.

Small bits of info about UDP/TCP for no-computer-experts:
Information about the state of your ship, chat, damage or invaded planets are transmitted to your computer in small pieces of data, called packets.
The internet is not perfect, so your puter might miss one of these packets from time to time.

Within TCP, everything is safe: Every packet is numbered, so when your puter receives packet #567, it calls back to the DS server telling him you got that packet and are ready to receive #568.
Or you did not receive #567. In that case, your puter would request that packet again.
In UDP, there is no such safety. The DS server would just send out packet #567, then #568 and so on without waiting for any confirmation from your computer.

The problem: When losing a TCP packet, you won't get ANY updates until the missing packet is retransmitted, which might take several seconds.
Sounds familiar?

Using UDP, you might loose an update in ship positions or a chat line, but you are able to play the game although it feels like a minor hickkup at times.

Most MMOs today use a mixture of UDP and TCP:
UDP for the regular updates like player positions. One packet lost and ships appear to be "zooming in" way too fast or anything, but the game is playable.
TCP for chat messages or trading: These HAVE to come through, even when they are late a few seconds.

F, if you're still reading these lines... it takes a good mixture to get the bowl brewing. And you can't get rid of TCP numbering under Windows.
But arghl.... whom the hell i am telling this. You already know.

Time to quit. For now.
kailii

Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-07 18:39   
Quote:

On 2004-06-07 17:44, TheBaron wrote:
We need to break this Two Weeks™ curse once and for all!

Yes what he said

stuck in Univercity limbo

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-06-07 19:51   
~Just watch... the timer will be 13:23:59:59 (D:H:M:S) when Faustus finishes his work.

Goto the website of Grimith
TAZ
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-07 22:32   
Thanks for the update F will be looking forward to seing the new code in action!!

Email TAZ   Goto the website of TAZ
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024815 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR