Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » uses of different ships
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author uses of different ships
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-27 00:17   
Very good post, I learned the hard way that dreads are not the win all wars weapons, and that using them in a smaller server (smaller servers do still exist don't they? or is everythign the MV like faustess(sp?) said not too long ago?) can get everyone ticked when you take all the resources then die to a superier nme...as for cruisers, I think they are the best ships in the game...
(NOTE: This is all coming from my experiance of about 2-3 months ago...if they've changed then this is useless but I doubt they've changed too much...)
they have enough manueverability to outmanuever dreads and stations, avoid sabots/torps/an occational missle when piloted right, yet they also have the armor to take a MASSIVE beating (nowhere near a dread or station, but comparably the amount of fire they dodge more than makes up for the less armor) and deal out a massive beating...The biggest thing most cruiser users don't do is mod engines to the max...by giving your cruiser more speed you can triple your survivability, more armor or weapons can't do that...always run at top, or near top speed...because you have less manueverability you need this speed, and always always always get a reactor...since you're running at high-speed with a ton of weapons you need it...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-07-27 07:01   
might i suggest that support stations be used in some sort of support role, possibly supporting the fleet in a supportive manner indicitive of a support vessel, instead of running off and trying to be some sort of super dreadnaught. i dont think its suppose to be that way

thats my idea for support stations

http://s94008368.onlinehome.us/larksig.jpg " BORDER="0">

[ This Message was edited by: Starlight (The Infinite) on 2004-07-27 07:04 ]

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-27 13:30   
if anything this post made me laugh lol

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-08-03 03:10   
demp, go stuff your head up a pig...

I assume you're one of the dread-happy people correct?

Okay, so he was a bit off since these tactics are more fitting for a scenario (frigates being used), but keep in mind this is in the NEW PLAYERS forum so maybe some info might apply to NEW PLAYERS only.

Oh yeah, dreads suck in 1.481. (can't wait for 1.482)

Which is coming In Two Weeks™

Visit my Site

[ This Message was edited by: Axalon{-BK-} on 2004-08-03 03:11 ]

Email Axalon
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-08-03 19:21   
err...you dont use your dreads right then

Gannon291
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-16 15:47   
(sorry this took so long, just... busy)

Gannon's art of war, Part 3: on the defencive

There is one thing that you need to know when defending a system: what to defend, and what not to.

Planets that you should defend are planets with ship yards on them, if the enamy gets their hand on this planet, they will have a lot easier of a time taking the system over, and you alot harder. ALL OTHER PLANETS ARE SECONDARY! Do not defend useless planets unless you have 30 million ships. If they are smart they will attack the ship yard planet first, and you can defend from there.

Another advatage of defending only a few planets is that you can use larger, slower ships, like dreads or stations. When defending you will typicly want to keep tabs on the enamy, so scouts and frigs can come in handy for searching out the enamy, and even doing some harrasing.

When an enamy does cap a planet, The planet is at its weakest, having only a few infintry on it, and probably some damage to the biuldings. This would be the best time to retake it, if you can muster the force. The more time you let them have it, the more time they have to prepare.

When trying to ward off and enamy attack, try to draw the battle out into open space, away from the planets, then jump back to the planet and repair and resupply before they show up again.

If there are any more questions, please ask. I don't know if I'll make another, but I might, so check back. Thank you.

If you have any suggestions for the next, again, ask, an I'll see what i can do.

When you look at it strategicly, Dreds arn't always the best choice.

My favorite ship: Interseptor Frigate
  Email Gannon291
[Free]Dop-erwt
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-17 02:01   
i cant believe im taking the time to reply to this post, but ganon did you ever approch an enemy planet in the mv with a bomber frigate? if so may i ask how long it took before it killed you?

disfunction is a function

former fleets: -uepg- =IT= -IL-

Goto the website of [Free]Dop-erwt
Gannon291
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-17 17:54   
I typicly respond better if the question/comment dosn't sound rude.

ok, 1) I have attacked planets before in a bomber frigate, and they didn't kill me. If you know how to pilot you ship then you can live, on the other hand, if you do the 'Dread way' of attacking (charge at the planet, and take every hit) you wont last long.

2) A single bomber frigate should not attack a planet alone, it can't carry enough bombs and infintry to cap it. So why you would even attack a planet alone in a bomber frigate is beyond me.

Please note: I'm not a big Dread fan, mainly be cause everyone uses them, and every one thinks they're all super.

Consider this: the most powerful surface navel ship (not including carriers) of WWII, was destroyed before America entered the war. The smallest navel warships of WWII, on the other hand, played a part in every major conflict and lived. They also played a major role in Guatal Canal.

Also, if you want a good reaction out of me, kindness will typicly get your questions answered better.

When you look at it strategicly, Dreds arn't always the best choice.

My favorite ship: Interseptor Frigate
  Email Gannon291
EdtheMAD
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-27 14:02   
Quote:

On 2004-07-04 18:20, Axalon{Absolut}(Recruiting) wrote:
I'm reading. BTW for those who are complaining about improper terminology, go stuff yourself. Come on, battleship could refer to cruiser or dread, most likely cruiser cause thats the one he left out.

PS: Good job. Most people are OOHHH!!! DREAD!!! MUST HAVE!!! (for those who've seen me play I say this: Shut up )

not really. cruisers are reffered to as "Ships of the Line," destroyers, frigates, and scouts are axilliaries, Dreadnauts, Battleships, and carriers are Capitol ships, and anything else are support ships.

battleship and dreadnaut aren't exactly interchangeable. they are simmaler in the sence that they both describe a class of warship, but they differ as Dreadnauts are usually heavier, and are more powerful than simple battleships.

all WWII era battleships are dreadnauts.

it's much the same as a fleet carrier is different from an Auxillary carrier. or a cutter is from a corvette.
/end technical

let me just say, Bravo Zulu! personally i like scouts. decked out with railguns. either that or a mining ship. sometimes a frigate when there's killing to do.

Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide,
In the strife of Truth and Falsehood, for the good or evil side;
-J.R. Lo

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-27 14:05   
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy was this bumped?

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-27 14:17   
Wasn't that largest ship of WW2 the Yamato which the American's sunk before the Japanese could beach it on an island (forget which one - midway possibly?) and use it as a land based installation for long range cannon fire?

Just my nitpick for the day

I don't have time to read the entire thing - but from what I have seen you have a good grasp of actual tactics but not much of DS ones.

The basics of it is this, if you are in the smaller ship, your job is to circle your enemy just outside of beam weapon range while moving quick enough to avoid torpedo fire (which is near impossible if you are a dread - but not always). If you are the bigger ship, you need to cut across the smaller ships turns to try and get in range - or use the F2 screen to plot a course for a close jump to bring you within 200gu (or closer) of the smaller ship to bring your full weapons to bear before they can manuver out.

I've seen some incredible tactics using the jumpdrive that defy all odds. Saw a k'luth destroyer with 30hp and no armor kill an ICC Heavy Cruiser with two other ICC cruisers (myself included) covering and protecting the heavy. It would jump ahead of the heavy cruiser and fire its weapons (had an ELF or two - can't remember. Just remember that the HC couldn't use its jump drives or anything). Despite the best efforts by my AC (which was out of torps ) and the other cruiser (another HC maybe?) we couldn't keep up with the dessy enough to kill it before the HC we were trying to protect finally died.

You need to keep in mind the different tactics based on ship loadouts, circumstances, and take into account the jump engines & wormhole devices. There really isn't any way to classify a tactic according to a ship class.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-27 15:12   
I don't believe in the navy .

On a sidenote, why was this bumped? I was kind enuff to hold my comments that all these tactics are wrong, but meh. Sadly to say, this is the hierarchy of usefulness:

Cruiser
    Supply
    Extractor
    Dread
    Tranny
    Scout
    Destroyer
    Frigate
    Station

Email Axalon
Avernus
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-27 15:34   
I actually prefer the term Battleship or Battlecruiser. Dreadnought sounds even bigger.

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-27 15:43   
I think it'll be safe to assume that the top of Axalon's list is "best" and the bottom is "worst".

Moving on from there...

The fact that Extractors were mentioned before Transports already shows how bugged the Metaverse is. The infantry limit on extractors needs to go back.

I won't establish my own "order of usefulness" simply because every ship has a different level. It all depends on the situation.

Goto the website of Grimith
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.033052 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR