No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » lag ...no not your typical lag post
 Author lag ...no not your typical lag post
Stern jr.
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-31 05:25   

I got to thinking about lag, what with the udp patch imminent and all, and how it might get rid of a significant portion of the lag issues.there might come a time when there is no lag..lag? whats that? well when someone new asks we can point them in the direction of this post.I intend to list the various kinds of lag i have encountered and the annoying effects that each has.

Matrix lag: you know this type when the screen freezes for several seconds up to but not limited to several minutes no amount of input or bashing of the keyboard seems to help with this one, if your in a battle expect to come out of it in the ship selection screen.

Jerky lag: inputs for movement not translated smoothly, effect ship moves side to side in short jerky movements (not to be confused with jumpy lag) particularly annoying on bomb runs because it makes it hard to keep bombs shielded, but not all that serious.

Jumpy lag: simular to jerky lag however the effects are more pronounced with the ship seeming to jump short distances including but not limited to backwards , sometimes combines with minor matrix lag you can tell the difference between jerky lag and jumpy lag easily because with jumpy lag your engine exhaust leaves solid trails as you jump around.again if it happens during a battle expect to see the ship selection screen.

planet jump lag:this can strike at any planet you jump to when you jump to a planet the controls freeze leaving you to coast into the planet.. ship selection again... remedied by dropping speed to zero before jumping.

dictor lag:jump to a enemy planet sometimes with a dictor and it appears at first as though there is no dictor your jump terminates close to the planet...but no wait the computer just remembered there is a dictor so the computer rememdies this by pushing you backwards back out to where your jump should have terminated to begin with..minor annoyance for the most part unless you are bombing and already started before being pushed back.

time shift lag: the most disturbing and quite possibly the most destructive lag out there it starts out as matrix lag then all of a sudden time travels backwards and ships go back to previous locations planets being built have structures disapear...particularly bad if you escaped a enemy dictor field with 1 percent hull and were happily repairing your ship at the nearest depot planet congratulating yourself on another near death escape...only to find yourself back in the dictor being attacked from all sides, my good friend the ship selection screen again.has the potential to crash the server and wipe out garages i've lost a full garage twice .

fighter/missle/object lag: i couldn't mention lag without mentioning this we all know what it is it's effects have been dicussed in quite a few posts and im not going into a indepth discusion here, in all likelyhood caused on the client side too many objects to render or what have you, can cause most of the various lags mentioned here.

nav map lag: trying to select a safe waypoint to jump to away from a battle (cause with e jump people know where to find you...lol) trying to zoom the map out to select a favorably far enough away place to safely plot your survival and the map zooms in and out in short random strokes. can be really bad if you decided to overstay your welcome near an enemy fleet...get to know the ship selection screen some more.

I intended this post to be slightly humourous please dont turn it into a rant, hopefully the lag or a good part of it will be gone with the forthcoming patch.if you can think of any other lags you know of feel free to add to the list.

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-31 05:28   
Thank you for this informative post
/me files this post for future reference