No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +18.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Terraforming and other planety stuff...
 Author Terraforming and other planety stuff...
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2004-08-10 13:06   
I was trying to think of ways of making planets a longer term investment for a faction or fleet, and come up with the idea of terraforming and planetary projects.
The current building system is pretty good and there is no real need to change it atm. So this is more of a way of adding depth to the game.

---

Once a planet reaches 100 tech, you have a new structure available called a Terraforming Facility. This costs a LOT to build. I am thinking in the region of 9000 metal, 3000 Heavy Metal, 1000 urdanium, 1000 cyrometal, 800 Darkmatter and similar amounts of all the other resources or possibly more. This stucture also requires 40 population and 50 power.
Once built it would give you the ability to research planet upgrades. Each of these would be extremely expensive and take a LONG time to complete. I am thinking of about 24 hours for the first level.

LVL 1 Terraforming - Increases base population by 5 and base food production by 5. Costs 20000 Hydrogen, 20000 Oxygen, 3000 Metals and 1500 Heavy Metals. Requires tech lvl 100. Takes 24hours to complete.

LVL 2 Terrafroming - Same increases as LVL1 but with double the resource costs. Requires tech level 110. Takes 48 hours to complete.

Every additional level would require double the resources of the previous level and require and addition 10 tech. Of course it would also take double the time of the previous level. the maximum level for a planet would be LVL10.

To make things more interesting these upgrades can be affected by bombing. Each bomb would have a (maybe) 0.5% chance of damaging a planets ecosphere and reverting it to the previous Terraform level.

The Terraforming Facility would not be required to maintain these upgrades.

---

Other options would include a structure to enable you to undertake various other planetary projects which would improve base research/ mining speed/population growth and possibly various alien artifacts which are limted in number but add a special bonus to the planet they are dropped on.

More to come...

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell (Cookie Sensei) on 2004-08-10 13:16 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-08-10 13:16   
Sounds right out of Hegemonia, but could work well.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing. -Socrates

[ This Message was edited by: JackSwift on 2004-08-10 13:17 ]

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-08-10 13:17   
hrm sounds interesting......
would be nice if you see the planets change "skin" after each teraforming stage, the ultimate level would be the Terran class planet.

however BOMBING should reduce a terra level.... meaning you can actually bomb a planet back to the stone age..... just leave nothing behind except a barren waste land.

- Axi

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2004-08-10 13:24   
Quote:
Increases base population by 5 and base food production by 5

Each Terraforming level increases a planets basics support by 5 population and 5 food production. Just a small marker in the target information pane would be sufficient with it having a T1, T2, T3 rating etc. Adding different skins would possibly be too annoying and difficult to implement.

Quote:
To make things more interesting these upgrades can be affected by bombing. Each bomb would have a (maybe) 0.5% chance of damaging a planets ecosphere and reverting it to the previous Terraform level.

I have already thought about the bombing. Learn to read

Goto the website of Drafell
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-10 13:41   
*sniff sniff*

umm an old idea, made new because of the new way the techtree is made

could be a good addition

stuck in Univercity limbo

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-10 17:09   
The ability to improve the living conditions of my protectees is a small comfort, but boy oh boy do I get a wide toothy grin at the thought of bombing planets back to the Barren Status... Hellooooo, Earth. Heck, I think this kind of thing would really spice up bombing- do you want to risk causing vital damage to the terrasphere, or go with a longer troop invasion to acquire a planet intact?

RagAnok
Admiral

Posted: 2004-08-10 17:27   
Great idea .. would love to turn all human planets into orbiting balls of slag mmuahahaha

Telekinesis, thats what you need, just lay back and let your mind do the walking

Page created in 0.012257 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR