No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +19.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Suggestion To Communication Methods
 Author Suggestion To Communication Methods
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-25 20:26   
EDIT: Figure Change "5k-100k" = "5k-20k"

As it stands, reconaissence operations in DarkSpace are fairly bland. You fly around in a recon vessel, spot enemies, transmit data, and then logout or continue. I have an idea that I nicked somewhere else in DS a long time ago that no one seems to think of or be interested in, so I present it here.

Firstly, within the MV, communication is limited to those who are within the range of a Longrange Communication Device. These would come in a number of powers, each one having a range deemed worthy that I dare not take the time to think of yet. These could be chainlinked so that a Ship could send a message to anyone else in the network. Communication without an array would be instant, but only within the range of the ships onboard array, which would, at tops, be around 5k-20k GU.

To make this effective, messages could not be sent with /send to anyone in the game; this would be considered offline messages. Any cheating to get around this barrier would be dealt with, I would hope.

Now then, why on EARTH would you want to limit communication in DS? Well, let me propose a few scenarios:

1.)
A fleet is on it's way annhilate a core world of it's enemy. The defenders have laid a massive minefield and have more ships than they led the enemy to believe; the invaders will be annhialted themselves. They have a scout ship flying ahead to check for these things. It spots this trap, but has to get to the fleet to warn it. The defenders see the ship, and for the first time in DS, that scout is actually a vital target. If it slips away, they're cover is blown. For that scout, he now has to complete his trip back, while being tailed by a few cruisers, rather than just sending the message and logging out.

2.)
The important shipyard of Planet X has just been siezed by the enemy! By conventional communication, it could be an entire real-life hour before the news carried back to command. But, as the last defender of the planet faces destruction, a small supply ship arrives, futilely late. All is not lost, though. He assigns a mission to the ship, ordering it to do whatever it takes to get back to friendly space and get the news around, calling in backup. Can the little supply ship escape unnoticed?

3.)
Another large strike force is moving in simultaneity with a second task force, preparing for a pincer manuever to finish off their prey. The defenders scout ship makes it back to report a second enemy fleet operating in tandem with their pursuers, and the develop a bold plan. They identify the world serving as a communication nexus for the two fleets, and send a few ships to take out the array. The plan works, and the first enemy fleet loses all communication with their allies. They have two choices: Turn around and check on their own worlds, or risk the operation without proper communication, or worse, with the possibility that their sister fleet was suddenly wiped out.

This idea goes hand-in-hand with the escape pod idea (that a destroyed ship drops an indestructable escape pod, which must be picked up by an ally or slowly fly to a friendly planet) , so that players do not simply SD to get back to friendly space to relay their message. If they logout after the escape pod, then, maybe, MAYBE if ruled necessary, a three or four minute time limit to relogin is placed.

Now then, this spurs on another suggestion: The Assault Command Station
This ship features very few weapons- just a whole lot of point defense beams- but features a JD and WH Generator, A shipboard Longrange Comm Array (still smalller than a large planet mounted one, but still effective), and extra supply bays. This ship does not truly engage in battle, but rather hangs back in empty space, serving as a mobile repair depot for the fleet, providing enhanced communication abilities, and due to it's significant lack of combat action, coordinating ground troop orders so that ships at the planet can focus on space combat.

Comments, Constructive Criticism, non moronic flames, requested wholeheartedly.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2004-08-25 20:42 ]

L|ghT
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-25 20:33   
Quote:

On 2004-08-25 20:26, Sardaukar wrote:

Firstly, within the MV, communication is limited to those who are within the range of a Longrange Communication Device. These would come in a number of powers, each one having a range deemed worthy that I dare not take the time to think of yet. These could be chainlinked so that a Ship could send a message to anyone else in the network. Communication without an array would be instant, but only within the range of the ships onboard array, which would, at tops, be around 5k-100k GU.

Thats quite a range there.. 5000 and 100000...

But besides that, I like the thought behind this idea, and I would like to see it somehow..

[ This Message was edited by: L|ghT on 2004-08-25 20:33 ]

Deviance is a crime.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-25 20:41   
Hmm. Well, all figures are, of course, tentative. Perhaps 5k-20k is a better estimate.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2004-08-25 20:44 ]

L|ghT
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-25 23:36   
Yes, lol..

Deviance is a crime.

TheTerminator970
Cadet

Posted: 2004-08-26 00:23   
I like this idea. However for planetary comms i would suggest no range however give them a speed limit. I don't know the distances very well right now but it should take 2 minutes to reach the nearest systems or around that. This way someone can organize a covert strike around a planet that's behind enemy lines and take over the planet without everyone in the universe knowing about it. Say that when a blockage is formed communications can't be sent but they have to send a super fast courier that's undetectable. That's why it takes so long.

Also Stations can transmit to the entire galaxy because they have much more powerful communications. This gives them another reason to be useful and take them out quickly.

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-26 00:55   
I Like the Ideal But the Stations that Your saying IS WHAT THE CURRENT STATION is ment to do, But noone uses it like that. But i LOVE the Ideals Behind ALL of Your suggestions.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-26 17:04   
The station I proposed is an even combat weaker model, almost completely Noncom. This one will only be used by those who use it for what it's designed for. It's only real combat use is PD... This one should encourage proper station usage with it's specifications

Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-08-27 11:07   
the only thing id say is if a species/race has the technology to build these spaceships then surely they would be able to build a radio/transmitter capable of such range like in star trek, the sub-space message. not a bad idea but i like it the way it is, also if someone is in the middle of nowhere how would they let a station know they need a WH ? if you say distress signal, then surely this could be used also a signal of enemy trap etc also, like morse code.

Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-08-27 15:46   
No.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-08-27 15:54   
Distress signal perceptable by all in range... good idea. I just think that this would really make more diverse ship roles.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-08-28 00:14   
Hear Hear to the communication frigate!!!!!!!

Great idea you got Meko™ Support!!

Email Meko
Page created in 0.018814 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR