No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +8.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Large Fleet Tactics
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Large Fleet Tactics
Gannon291
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:17   
The first thing you need to know about fleets is what to put in them, you want to have a powerful, yet versitile fleet when in combat. For a 20 ship fleet here is my recomendations:

1 Station: It can give you a fall back position as well as tons of infintry, supplies and worm holes. you only really want one because any more makes the fleet clumsy and hard to use.

4 Dreads: you want a few dreads to put some force behind your actions but not to many, as they hog the supplies and slow the fleet down.

4 Crusiers: Crusiers have speed firepower and armor to do a good job assisting any fleet.

4 Frigates: Frigates can help out any of the other ships, being able to move quickly in and out of combat they can distract enamy ships and allow friends to escape.

2 Scouts: Again, scouts can do just that, scout. Before the fleet goes anywhere send a couple of scouts to search the place out and locate enamies. Then they can call in the bigger ship.

3 Heavy supplies: Heavy supplies have the power and carrying abilty to stick with the fleet, but can't be everywhere at once.

2 Light supplies: although they can't carry as much as a heavy supply they are much faster and can take care of more of the smaller ship then the Heavies can.

This is your standered 20 ship fleet, try and keep the same ratios of ships if you make it bigger or larger.

When you look at it strategicly, Dreds arn't always the best choice.

My favorite ship: Interseptor Frigate
  Email Gannon291
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:24   
> My favorite ship: Interseptor Frigate

Quick, get the antiseptic!

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:31   
no destroyers?

I would put 4 destroyers in place of 4 frigates, just as fast in maneuvers, and pack a bit more punch in terms of firepower.

Commander of The ICC Bomber Dread: C.S.S. Normandy

[ This Message was edited by: -=~NubMarine~=- on 2004-10-01 18:32 ]

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:31   
Tatics in a large fleet?

here (in pseudocode)

If diamond = red;
Green Diamon = Not in way;
Spacebar
else if
Diamond = red;
Green Diamond = In way;
say "OMFG! Move you n00b! FF!!!"

end if.

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:38   
Id say this is more large fleet composition rather than tactics

Gannon291
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 18:48   
Tactics come tomarrow... I'm still thinking some stuff up

and destroyers I see more as replacments for cruisers or dreads to speed the fleet up, but that comes later.

When you look at it strategicly, Dreds arn't always the best choice.

My favorite ship: Interseptor Frigate
  Email Gannon291
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 19:10   
The success of a Fleet relies on how well-tailored it is for the task at hand, and on how skilled the Pilots are on their assigned Ships.

Everything else is purely theoretical.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-01 19:25   
Fleet tactics depend greatly on 1) individual pilot experience and 2) willingness of pilots to obay orders & not fly off at the nearest diamond.

BTW... spacebar = dedu

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Captain Blue
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 22:09   
yah well we all no none of this will work with noobies so y are u even trying

Email Captain Blue
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-01 23:27   
Captain Blue, this stuff doesn't just apply to new players. This applies to a lot of people who (for instance) all get dreadnoughts or cruisers. Balance is kinda necessary in any case. Maybe if you weren't so ready to denounce the effectiveness of this in helping newbies, you would have noticed that this stuff could also apply to older players that just want to break their space bar.

Goto the website of Grimith
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-10-01 23:31   
well.....a fleet of UGTO hvae sups could decimate just about any fleet IF......they had a comm system in place......what with the flux as is.....who needs big ships....

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-10-01 23:46   
So, um, Gannon (peeking at Gannon's profile) - how long you been playing this game? Perhaps under some other account? These things you are thinking up or observations from actual gameplay?

I'm sure a few of us appreciate your enthusiasm, but...well...you need to keep working on this idea (a lot).

Nax

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 23:55   
*sizzle* someone just got pwned

Oh yeah, hate to be mean but get this thru your head: Frigates are useless in this version. Come 1.483, MAYBE frigates MIGHT serve as a sort of picketship/patrol. So please, even though you love frigates (and yet you use destroyers, hmm ) try and base your tactics on DS play, as opposed to morphing naval tactics. I don't want to be mean, but please try to think in a DS perspective, not a n00b-a-round.

The only way frigates are justified is if you shove that role into a n00b where frigs are all they can get.

On a side note, Assault Scout is an oxymoron. You can't "assault" in a scout. "Assault" and "Scout" are mutually exclusive. Assault craft tend to be slow, and scouts are fast. Its like saying you have a slow racecar...no...or a supersonic Mach 2 Jet Fighter that has a 400mph max speed. And besides, assault refers to ahem, dogfights. Scout vs. Dread = Laughter and one less scout.

The End

-Axalon

PS: Frigates = Zippy targets. Unless they move in "gaggles" you won't get much out of them.

Email Axalon
Fatal Green
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-02 00:23   
Actually, in my experience so far, when your stuck in a tough 1v1 fight with another decent pilot, a persistent little frigate wearing your shields down with his 2-3 torpedoes can put you at quite a disadvantage. If you retaliate against the little bugger, you'll be wasting valuable time and energy while your main opponent takes advantage of your distraction, but if you ignore him, your going to be hemorrhaging valuable defense.

Email Fatal Green
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-02 00:26   
True Green, but its highly unlikely that a lone frigate will be around at the equally unlikely time you and another lone player find themselves facing each other with no friends in system at all.

Email Tbone
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.036330 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR