No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Graphics
 Author Graphics
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-12-07 06:07   
Couldnt find the suggestions forum.. So im guessing its Beta side or whatever, but anyways.

Was nosing around in Beta today, and the ingame graphics struck me as rather... dated?

So in the spirit of everyone who has nothing better to do, I decided to make good use of the camera and stare at my monitor for countless seconds (Half an hour... I need a life).

What I noticed were two things.

1/ The ships themselves, while they look good, have the 'Nintendo 64 Syndrome' as it were, they look good, but they look cartoony, maybe a little sharpening on the models could help that, give them a more realistic look.

2/ The biggest let down graphics wise currently, Planets and the Space Backdrop, as I said, the ships look fine, maybe only a little work needed. But the planets and the backdrop are really what lets DS down in the Graphics department.

I know its all been said before, but compared to EvE, DS is lacking, and in all fairness, EvE really has it won in the Graphics department, and one thing many people have told me as to why they play eve, is that it looks very good (Eye Candy) and the other being the large variety of things to do.

Anyways back on track, sorting out the ingame graphics, mainly the backdrop and the planets, really could bring DS back up into line as far as Graphics go.

The general gameplay is still as good as it always has been though, jump in, blow something up, have fun, quick action, gotta love it.

A little more depth would go a LONG way though... but hey, another story for another day right?

Peace.

Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-12-07 07:40   
Yea I want lots of blinking lights on my ships!!!!!! blink blink binkedy blink!!

Email Beast
Forseth (Ret)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-07 08:20   
good ideas pete, but you forget that DS has a total of 2 devs working atm lol...dont think graphics would be on the tippy top of my list right now....

would deffinatley like to see new graphics tho, u hit the nail on the head when you said it looked like nintendo 64

Email Forseth (Ret)
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-12-07 11:36   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=31802&forum=1&30

All the graphics in this thread should make it into 1.483. Used to speak to Gideon about this and seeing as he's gone, I have no more talky talks with him, so thats the latest (old) info I have on that.

If you ask me, the graphics there look pretty swishy...

Also they have plans to re-do the ship models in DS at some point soon, its been known for a while.

As far as the backdrop and planets, they could do with some uber re-do. The backdrop doesnt require HUGE ammounts of work, I mean, its just an image isnt it?

the planets look all square though compaired to "other" games as Banshee said...

Any word from a Dev/Admin on this?

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash {DSUKM} on 2004-12-07 11:39 ]

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-07 18:09   
I for one would have a problem with more graphics. I curently run at a max of about 5-6 FPS. slow computer. In combat (no lag) I run about 1 FPS, at best. I don't know about others, but I don't have the money to buy a new pc, or upgrade one.

Other than that, I love new better graphics

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-12-08 03:58   
Yeh, but I think the engine (madusa) is going to get some graphic effieciency changes (I think). Allow more pollys for certain things.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-02 15:56   
Putting this here Because It's Graphics but not concerning the above stuff.

I'd like to see something (maybe in Ship selection screen) where we could choose say a flag, or insignia, for our ships that would display on the sides of the ship. Maybe all the countries flags, Jolly Roger, a smiley face

OR maybe our Fleet Tags could be displayed on the sides of the ship.

I dunno if any of that is possible, but just a thought.

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-03 19:34   
@Backslash...

Gid's graphics are unlikely to be implemented, because F doesn't have the base files for them. We can use the WOBs, yes, but the graphics can't really be integrated into the game and modified as needed without the source files that Giden appearently never uploaded into the resourcer, or something like that.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Email Bobamelius
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-03 22:03   
Yeah, Bob has the gist of it. Problem is, we can't upload some of the stuff at all due to some interoperability problems.

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-04 06:21   
I know that Bob, look at the original post dates.

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-05 13:59   
I actually used Gids new graphics pack in release, and it actually cause no additional lag... so maybe you guys could cut and splice in the completed effects, with some of your own to make the thing well rounded

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-03-05 14:19   
There is no way too... Those Wob files are the finished product, but without the Port files we can not create new Wobs, and with all the changes made and being made, those Wobs may quickly because invalid and no longer work.

So since we can't reverse the WOB's to PRT's those effects are lost.

Email Tael
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-05 16:38   
Perhaps you could just re-create them?

Page created in 0.020631 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR