No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » How to get DarkSpace running at its best.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author How to get DarkSpace running at its best.
Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-03-07 20:42   
Quote:

On 2005-01-05 12:39, BackSlash *Jack* [R33] wrote:
it has a property called "TTL" (Time To Live), which is I think how long the packet lasts if it doesnt reach its destination.

To be accurate, TTL is the number of times a packet will be routed before it is destroyed regardless if it reached the destination or not, so like as you said, it will not keep circulating through the network forever.
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-07 20:48   
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 20:42, Nimitz *S2* wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-01-05 12:39, BackSlash *Jack* [R33] wrote:
it has a property called "TTL" (Time To Live), which is I think how long the packet lasts if it doesnt reach its destination.

To be accurate, TTL is the number of times a packet will be routed before it is destroyed regardless if it reached the destination or not, so like as you said, it will not keep circulating through the network forever.

I never said it would keep going forever, my wording was spot on. It's how long the packet lasts. It reduces the number by one each hop, and when it's reached it's maximum TTL, it disapears. I never said it would continue to circulate the internet. Please read the post again, clearly.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 07:36   
I might add, if you are running programs such as MSN, Limewire, soulseek, and other different programs it is best to turn them off because in the long run, someone on MSN or yahoo is gonna IM you and mess up yer gaming experience lol, so yeah its best to turn them off, oh and lower yer firewall settings to medium that way you wont have so much lag, i've done this and had no problems whatsoever and this was because i didnt think of it sooner lol

I.E shut everything but DS down, or if you have too, Shut DS down, Restart yer connection, lower your firewall (for those of you who have Dialup and DSL) and play! that always works for me

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-08 08:10   
Quote:

On 2006-03-08 07:36, Fatal GothThug {C?} wrote:
I might add, if you are running programs such as MSN, Limewire, soulseek, and other different programs it is best to turn them off because in the long run, someone on MSN or yahoo is gonna IM you and mess up yer gaming experience lol, so yeah its best to turn them off, oh and lower yer firewall settings to medium that way you wont have so much lag, i've done this and had no problems whatsoever and this was because i didnt think of it sooner lol

I.E shut everything but DS down, or if you have too, Shut DS down, Restart yer connection, lower your firewall (for those of you who have Dialup and DSL) and play! that always works for me

Please, do not do this.

If you don't have much memory (less than 256MB), then by all means, close your programs, but they will NOT mess up your gaming experience. I run MSN and Trillian (AIM + YIM in one), and all I see is a flicker when someone messages me, then it stops. It also has nothing to do with my uber machine, I've had a P2 with 512MB of memory, and I could run everything I wanted too. Good way to check is to open up task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and see if anythings activily using CPU cycles (other than idle process), if so, that could be slowing down DS, also, anything that's using a vast amount of resources

I also DO NOT RECOMMEND turning down your firewall settings. Firewalls have NOTHING to do with lag in DarkSpace. All firewalls do is STOP access from outsiders, and stop unotharized programs from contacting the outside world. If you've given DS access, there's nothing else the firewall can do to slow down the communication between server and client, and packet snooping is illigal anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* [R33] on 2006-03-08 08:31 ]

Likkarn *Freelance*
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-09 15:42   
I stop all unnessary programs when I first start my computer, wether or not I play DS. I have about 15-17 processes this way. I usually have about 48. And I have a question. Is is possible to get a more stable connection out of a wireless adapter? I can play DS fine, but games like EVE-Online and Hostile Space cut out about every 35 min, and then immediatly reconect. like a burp in the connection. I have tryd lots of things, and a few have helped. Is it possible to bridge two wireless adapters together, and stablize my connection?

Email Likkarn *Freelance*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.012526 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR