No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +12.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Lack of moons around Saturn and other planets in Sol?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Lack of moons around Saturn and other planets in Sol?
Drajka (The λ Snark)
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-05 09:09   
Bleh! Come on guys, I did a little research, and Saturn has many more moons than are on DS. I know, some of them are insignificant and small, but I think some of them should be added to the Sol portions of the Darkspace maps.

Calypso is in there, even though it's smaller than our moon by more than half. But Iapetus, I don't believe is on there, and it's at least 25 times larger than Calypso, and does not appear to be significant enough to be mentioned.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/saturn/ring_sat1.gif

^ The moons of Saturn, drawn to rough scale.

I know for a fact there is no "Janus", or "Pan" on DS.

I realize already what flames I will probably recieve.

"Uh, d00d lyk, dis iz a game plz. It iz not r33l lyf."

True, but it wouldn't be difficult, and would bring further challenge to the Sol map/sector on MV. Hell, perhaps you could even recieve mention from NASA.

"Ya ryt, noob, gett off teh formz plz."

My uncle works for NASA, I'm not sure what he does, but I do know that he works for them. NASA isn't even the goal, but it is an intresting suggestion.

"mmk, dis still izn't reel lyf, n u dnt no how hard it iz 2 add planets neway. dis gayme is not a space flyt simulat0r. OMG!! LoL!!1!one!111!1"

I would gladly add the planets myself, given the proper tools, or instruction. I do not know how to load a map into the map editor, though I'm very good with those types of things.

"well y r u trying 2 mayk dis syst3m akurate? y dont u mayk teh procyons real too? n how abt the w0lf systemz?"

We live in the Sol system. And we know alot about it. Alot of the Sol planets are very accurate already. For instance, in reality, Mimas has a HUGE crator in it, approximately 100 miles across.

I quote from "Windows in Space"

"Mimas: Has a large crater approximately 100 miles across, with walls around it rising almost six miles vertically..."

If you look at Mimas on DS, you will see a large crater. This is meerly skinning, and is not difficult, therefore, I feel that they should be somewhat accurate. I have always been fastinated(sp?) by Astronomy, the Cosmos, Black holes, unexplained spacial phenomona, and just generally anything having to do with the existance of everything outside of the earth.

Anyway. Flame away.

Drajka!

P.S. - By the way, if anyone is good at making signatures, let me know, I have ideas, but I suck at doing that kinda stuff :<

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-01-05 09:49   
Theres enough planets in Sol already as it is thank you

Strom"DaBum"Moon
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2005-01-05 10:18   
um how many clone's oF me do you want to defend saturn with anyway?

Drajka (The λ Snark)
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-05 11:19   
lol

Consider if you will -- A permenant Sol map/server. Suppose that this were to go up (Yes.. I know, it's unlikely, but I may just do it myself. :| lol)

There would be more prestiege, more resources to be mined, more challenges, and more stuff for n00bs to learn with. Don't tell me you want more uninformed noobs. o.O

I don't know, though. I just like the idea of having more stuff to conquer! woot!

But still, can I get some support here?

I also propose that moons orbit their host planets, much like that one inferno planet does.. In the procyon system I believe. It comes less than 300 gu from the closest planet, which is habitable.

Is this really unrealistic guys?
I don't think it will cause more lag. Besides, it's possible that some veterans will come back to see the changes, and decide to stay?

Now, I'm not being unreasonable... I'm not asking for cosmic storms, damage from solar flares, or taking into account the small, but still present gravity of moons and planets, that would draw you closer like a tractor beam.. I'm not proposing that gravity from planets throw you out of jump alignment, if you went past Jupiter for example. There are so many other things that could be added to make it more 'realistic', but I'm not looking for that. This is after all, a game.

Why shouldn't you be able to mine from the rings of Saturn? Or Uranus? (yes, Uranus has rings, they're dark, but they do indeed exist.) I'm not aware if Uranus has rings in DS or not.. Though I think that should be on there... Tell me what you think. :>

Hail =CEC=! Even though I'm not in it at the moment

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-05 12:36   
Ah you see this becomes a problem because:

Too many planets around a certain "mother" planet can cause tons of problems. Namely LAG, because so many items are in the same zone server. This means if you put fighters on most of the planets (and who the hell doesnt in clusters?), then when they launch, the zone server is either
A) gonna crash
B) gonna lag to smitherines
C) cope with it and everything will be hunky dory (not).

Sol is also the biggest system in the game, so it doesnt make sense to just add more and more. Plus we dont have the playerbase to really support it. Perhaps when the game develops and 1.483 is released the systems will develop properly.

Also, this game is based on fiction, they are allowed to bend a few rules...perhaps some bizare alien race decided to use a "planet killing device" that destroyed some of Saturns moons.

*shrugs*

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-01-05 12:54   
Either that, or they were just converted into raw resources. But explanations aside, making Sol accurate would be a verruh bad idea, for the reasons posted by BackSlash, and also because it would severely overpower the factional owner of the system- we're talking about whole MV-systems worths of resources being added to a single one.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2005-01-05 12:59 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-05 13:09   
"mmk, dis still izn't reel lyf, n u dnt no how hard it iz 2 add planets neway. dis gayme is not a space flyt simulat0r. OMG!! LoL!!1!one!111!1"

Met Ruff I see?

Oh and mapping images to the planets IS hard, so creating a realistic crator, is indeed pretty hard and time consuming when better time can be spent on the code for the next patch .

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Deagle Rules* on 2005-01-05 13:10 ]

Fatal Arkarian
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-05 15:08   
I feel sorry for you, so I will back you up on this point. I would like notihng better than a relistic sol system.

(plus, it will lag those uggies to hell! hahahaha!)

hey, what about black holes? I mean, I know people cant decide wether they exist or not in reailty, but hey, they would be really cool.

if you want a sig, they are easy to make. find a decent image, and look up a cool text generator on google.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-05 15:12   
First you want less lag...

Now you want to create more...

God give Faustus strength....

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-05 15:25   
I took about a week to make a map of Sol with as much of the moons as I could include. Since scenario's tend to be small.. the map I made is a small MV map. If anyone would like to take a look at it, I can upload it to my webspace some time and I'll post a link to it. Now of course it isn't exact but, I did my best though... Heck, sure beats the MV's Sol system =P BTW: Some of the resources may be unrealistic and never had time to actually get to it.

Email Shippo
Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-05 15:25   
come on guys, i too think that a more realistic sol system would be kool...and not to mention a black hole, but think of all the time and energy that it would require to reserch the moons, design them, do all the fansy technical work with them and then create a black hole...all the effects that would go alone with it and then find somewhere to place it...now, think about the "LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG" if fought in between the moons with all the fighters, and the missles and ships flying evrywhere, the sever(i garranty this, by the way)would instantly crash. and the black hole would cause likely he same amount of lag just by itself.

P. S.Just my opinion, say wat u want about it.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-05 16:01   
black hole would just be like a wormhole that was black. With different graphics....Wouldnt lag atall, the tons of moons wouldnt either, its what comes OUT of those moons that could lag the zone server.

Terminology

Zone Server: The MV is choped up into tiny sections called Zones. The server controls these zones by deciding how many people and objects are in one, those with less objects get less CPU time than the ones with more. Hence if this had lots of objects in, it would take CPU time away from other ciritacal ones, IE ones with combat happening in.

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-01-05 16:27   
Are you kidding? Add all the gas giant moons and make them habitable, and Sol would be like Nicea. But then, the ICC and K'luth home systems would have to be remade too, with more planets to make it equal. Let's just leave it how it is.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-05 19:10   
If you actually looked into said research. Most of Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune's moons are nothing more than asteroids that were captured in their orbit.

Goto the website of Novacat
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-01-05 21:25   
on the link u post says : All bodies are to scale expect for Pan, Atlas,Telesto,Calypso, and Helene, whose sizes have been exaggerated by a factor of 5 to show rough topography.

So what are you going to build on them? just a colony base?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.041473 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR