No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +10.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Lack of moons around Saturn and other planets in Sol?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Lack of moons around Saturn and other planets in Sol?
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-12 12:05   
Do be do be do.

Not going to read all this thread. Thank you for pointing out the accuracy on Mimas, though. I'm glad somebody noticed. That skin was probably designed to be Mimas at some point.

The reason I thank you is because I designed the 'RealSol' map, aka the Sol currently in game. I never knew it would be put into game, but hey, 1.481 rolls around and voila, Dem's a happy camper.

I realize that all the moons aren't there. That was intentional. I had a full list of Jupiter and Saturn's several-dozen moons and picked the ones I did (Uranus and Neptune too) for a reason. I talked to Gid about it and we decided on which ones to include based on a simple policy:

Realism is all well and good, but there is also the question of what the game can support. DarkSpace does not have "large asteroid" orbital objects with irregular shapes that can simulate, for example, the Martian moons Deimos and Phobos. So those moons, and also the irregularly shaped ones in the Saturn moons mockup you were oh so kind to post, were left out for that very reason. We don't want to put a moon in as a large spherical planetoid when we know it's just a chunk of rock floating in space.

It would be wonderful to have all the moons and have total realism, but then there's also the question of system-size. RealSol pushes the limit of zone size as it is, and adding more moons would necessitate another increase. UGTO players have a hard enough time jumping from one side of that map to another. Let's not make it any harder on them unless we really have the means to bring about the realism you crave (which we do not).

Also, there's the question of clusters. Let's face it, DarkSpace planet capping is all about clusters. REALSOL HAS SOME HUGE-ASS MOTHERTRUCKING CLUSTERS. When those planets are in the right alignment, the end result is PAIN. I, for one, think that pain is quite enough, thank you. Even if there were any more spherical moons to add that had, for some reason, been left out, I don't foresee them being added just for realism's sake. It would just make capping (and recapping, mind you) Sol that much more difficult.

I hope my arguments speak automatically for my conclusion. I really see no need to say any more.

-Dem

[ This Message was edited by: Demorian on 2005-01-12 12:07 ]

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-12 12:30   
weel said Demorian, well said.

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-12 16:35   
As mentioned before, real sol has over 100 planets/moons... Thats more then 5 systems combined (depends on their size of course, thats more then 10 small systems). I don't know the exact number, I think it was like 125- 150

Drajka (The λ Snark)
Cadet

Posted: 2005-01-13 12:41   
Jesus. @.@

Dem, I can't tell if you were being serious thanking me, or being sarcastic, saying I'm an idiot =/.

Regardless, I'm not saying that your map is inadequite. I was simply pointing out that all of the moons and such aren't present.

You seemed to come down on me pretty hard with the "realism" part.

When I say it, I just mean a more beliviable interactive experiance. As I mentioned before, I'm not talking about a space "flight simulator".

Anyway - congratulations on your well designed map.

I would like to change the title of this topic, to something regarding "DS Improvement talk" or something of the sort.

And still, no one has told me if they have any idea if having 32 building locations is hard coded into the game or not. Are there any Palestar admins around? no?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.011841 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR