No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Need that help...bad!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Need that help...bad!
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 11:04   
Okay, those who have known me for a period of time know that my computer has a particular problem which involves the talltale "whirring" sound whenever I play games either online or not, and it has the effect of stalling my internet...

Well...I think I found some insight into the problem.

While using a particular DL Manager to dl Darkspace onto my computer, it quite unexpectedly, stalled my internet yet again. I must say I was surprised because I wasn't playing any particular games at the present time, the DL manager I quickly found out, kept a log of every again made while negotiating with the file I was DLing (DS) and it recorded the following:

-----------------------

http://www.darkspace.net/downloads/DarkSpaceFull.exe
http://www.darkspace.net/downloads/DarkSpaceFull.exe - 1
Try connecting server: www.darkspace.net:80
Connected.
GET /downloads/DarkSpaceFull.exe HTTP/1.1
Host: www.darkspace.net
Accept: */*
Referer: http://www.darkspace.net/downloads/
Cookie: LastVisit=1105146490; LastVisit=1105199493; LastVisitTemp=1105192566
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Connection: close
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:52:32 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a PHP/4.3.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
Last-Modified: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:52:36 GMT
ETag: "172616-25b32bd-4137f894"
Content-Length: 39531197
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Start Receiving Data ! -Everything up to here worked normally.

Socket error: 10053 (WSAECONNABORTED - ). - [/i]This message occured the moment the whirring began[/i]

The message Socket error: 10053 (WSAECONNABORTED - ). occured approx. five minutes after the Start Recieving Data! message.

Wait 5 seconds for retry

---------------

Does anyone know what this means? Help would be supremely appreciated as this problem has plagued me for neigh a year and as such has prevented me from playing any and ALL online games and while has no effects upon my computer (obvious ones at least) it has been known to freeze some of my games periodically. (Frozen games include but does not limit to Freelancer, NFSU 2, UT2k4, Homeworld 2, Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III, and finnally, any known Half-Life game in my possession) By freezing I mean that it freezes the entire computer, making it impossble to End the process. The only current known solutions to this problem are either closing down and restarting the internet connection or else, closing down all game programs,

Like I said before a major hassle.

As far as I currently know, such behavior can be traced back to December 2003, while I had a cable connection; it seemed to occur around the time my brother downloaded an obscenely large ammount of music files (well over 400) in a period of 6 hours. It is also known to have had something to do in part to playing Star Wars Galaxies, as that was the first known current rememberence of the internet stalling (oddly enough, it didnt not occur with any other games at the time.)

I hope that such information could help anyone or everyone in helping my dellimia without me having to go out and find another computer.

-Ent

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 11:05   
i had a whirring sound too. It was my Video card. selected lower settings, np anymore

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-08 11:20   
Gfx wouldnt cause a net drop out, only the Geforce 2+4 MX's had that problem.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-01-08 12:42   
Do you have a fan on your motherboard?

if the chip gets to hot it might be slowing down and shutting down non essential functions to cool down *Inet aint essential for a system to operate*

I've had this before and it REALY sounds like a cooling problem.

- Axi

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 13:07   
In truth Axi, you may be right.

Several months ago I had a sneaking suspicion it might be that the Video card onmy system may be causeing the system to overwork, so I went into BIOs to take a closer look into my system.

Here I remember finding something interesting...the CPU Fan. It knew that most modern computers come with them, however I was somewhat concerned that it didnt seem to be working (0 RPMS) so I attempted to start it and it reportedly said 'Failed to start CPU fan'...

IM also pretty sure that my computer has a motherboard fan as well, however I would like to find some way of finding out other than taking apart my computer and/or a repair shot (I deeply mistrust any electronic repair company, even if its their product im using).

-Ent

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-01-08 13:10   
Well to find out there is only 1 true way..

take the side off, if its a bit cool in your room you should notice a slight improvement.
something that isnt in any manual is that your computer needs A LOT of cool air.

My guess is on the overheating.
TO prevent the system from blowing up it has a lot of failsaves like shutting down.

- Axi

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 13:38   
OKay through some initial testing and a few handy programs I believe I have found the possible problem which fits all the puzzle pieces together.

The CPU.

Whenever it seems the CPU usage on my computer exceeds 50% it automatically suspends the program and any program directly tied to that program.

Which means that when a game I play exceeds 50% CPU usage, it would suspend any program that is dependent on the program or the program being dependent on it.

Now I have no clue what could cause such a thing, however, Axi you present that it may be that internet functions (such s fans) are not cooling down the CPU fan and as such, to prevent the CPU from completely melting, it shuts down everything that is using too much, even if it is a system dependent program (hence the computer lock-up).

Now Axi, I just need to know how to take off a side of my computer (perferably the right) so that it can cool down because since my heater is out it is FREEZING!

-Ent

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-01-08 15:40   
usualy their is screws on your tower, or something to slide.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-01-08 15:52   
Quote:

On 2005-01-08 13:38, Enterprise (The Destiny) wrote:
OKay through some initial testing and a few handy programs I believe I have found the possible problem which fits all the puzzle pieces together.

The CPU.

Whenever it seems the CPU usage on my computer exceeds 50% it automatically suspends the program and any program directly tied to that program.

Yeh....erm, Steve.....All games automaticly use 100% of the CPU to get the best performance out of your system. When you alt tab it suspends it. I'd guess what Axi said, it might not be the gfx card (as in the actual card), but heat related. I had to equip a duel 7500rpm fan bay underneath my gfx card as it runs at 71 degree's (C).

Try it with the side off, a couple of days ago, I was having constant freezes....but it was my PSU fan not drawing out enough heat from the system....it doesnt take much inside a case with no fans to make it go "dont like it, turning off". I constantly run my other machine with no fans, without the side cover. May sound wierd, it may look ugly....but it works.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 16:02   
There are screws on the back I see..but on the sizes or even on top there is none...strange...

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-01-08 17:43   
Okay first of all take a look at the case.

There are 2 types out there.

1) the older versien, here you will see that the outer metal shell is one big piece.
to remove this one you will need to remove all screws on the back holding the metal shell on the frame.

2) this version has 2 sides and 1 top.
in most cases the sides can be removed, just look at the back remove the screws and slide the side panel back, it should go a little back and then you can pull the side away gently.
now carefull they have a tendency to be stuck, just put your hand on the side and give short powerfull bursts to wedge it loose.

Now look inside the computer, if you are looking at the front the LEFT panel should reveal the internal hardware *motherboard, CPU ETC*

You can check the Fan to see if its full of dust, if not turn the computer back on and see what will hapen.

- Axi

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-01-08 18:01   
Slides removed indeed...and I suddenly realize WHY they invented a computer case...its not much to look at...

For the most part I can see I have two fans near the back..both are encased and I cannot see whether or not they are functioning or otherwise...I can however see the various electronics through it.

Tested it yet it still seems to stall around 50% CPU usage (because anything using a CPU usage lower than that percentile does not cause the whirring to occur..)

-Ent

Dark~Night
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-22 17:10   
Ok, I have read all of your posts on this matter. Here is what I think....

I think it is heat related. If your cpu fan is not running, you have poss damaged the cpu and it needs to be replaced. That cpu fan HAS to be running while your pc is powered on to keep processor cool, moreso for all newer processors. It sounds like you don't have the knoweldge to handle this problem yourself without causing more damage and costing you more money. Take it to the repair shop. It will cost you less in the long run.

I had 3 hard drives installed back to back in my tower. Ran fine for about 6 months. Then out of the blue my main HD started makeing the whirrr noise and pc locked up. I rebooted and it told me boot disk failure. Insert boot disk and press enter. I turned off pc and didnt restart it for 2 days. When I did, it booted fine. Ran for about 1 hour with no problems before it locked up again. Rebooted, same thing.... boot disk failure. Now this drove me so mad. But I thought, ok it worked fine untill it got norm temp to hot befor it shut down. I opened my case and separated all hard drives. Waited about 6 hours for them to cool and rebooted. They have worked just fine now for 2 months without problems.

My problem was that they were stacked too close together and were not getting enough air flow around them to keep them cool.

Moral of the story....
cooling problems will affect your pc in weird ways. If you have a weird problem.... check your cooling system.

And something else that will affect you pc in weird ways is you power supply. Start adding in power hungry video card and other accessories without haveing a power supply that can support them will cause pc to do weird things aswell.

Keep these in mind!

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-05-22 17:15   
Yes, we know you need help... you keep running from the white coats though...

j/k, gl with issue, I got outa the tech help dept long ago.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
tagar
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-22 18:59   
well i regularly have heating troubles as my computer is fairly highly modified, i recomont the next time it does it, reboot go into your bios settings and if your motherboard supports it selevt PC health( may be another name but more than likely along those lines) and check cpu and case temp, if they seem high(mine shuts down at 60 c) then id say that is your trouble. Also check to isuse that your internal systems are getting good clean power in the proper voltages.

hope this helps and good luck

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021077 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR