No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Increasing DS playerbase
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Increasing DS playerbase
Cian O'Connor
Commander

Posted: 2005-02-01 19:41   
Is it possible to get some advertising going on or somthing for DarkSpace. The free trial is a great thing but unless it is published nobody is going to really know about it. I know DarkSpace is a little past it's hayday for all but a few dedicated fans, but word of mouth is not simply enough nowadays. We need to get some hype going on. Perhaps an article in CGW or PC Gamer would do the trick?

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-01 20:08   
I found DS via ad on FilePlanet, many other old-timers found it via ads, too.

I don't think we advertise any more, for reasons unknown to me. Monetary ones probably.

Email Bobamelius
Lrauka
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-01 20:13   
He does have a valid point. I happened to find Darkspace on a old MMO site, by chance. An increased playerbase offers a few things to everyone involved. A larger community for players to be part of, more feedback (and funds) for the developers.

The only thing I would request prior to undertaking a drive to increase playerbase, is streamlining of the code and/or an upgrade to the server. At the moment, a battle of ten ships around a couple planets will throw everyone into a horrible cycle of lag.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-01 20:59   
there was a artical in pcg a while back, over a year ago

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-01 22:50   
I found the game a few years back on the first page of Fileplanet. The description sounded cool as hell, and I downloaded it. It had the words "free trial" in it, and that was enough to get me to click "download". The screenie was pretty sweet too.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-02 01:39   
i found it on mmorpg.com out of thousands of games, the name darkspace happened to be the one i clicked as i was disgustingly (spelling) boared. I read about it and thought id give it a go, and now ive been here for 1year+2days =)

Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-02 05:48   
Last year i heard it was being releasd in the UK but hve heard nowt since!!
it would appeal to the mass of gamers who play warhammer and specifically the 40K version. Might be an idea to talk to the boys at Games workshop in order to spread a little happiness.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
RedDoggy(1)
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-02-02 07:03   
Putting the game on CD and sending it to the subscribers of those magazines would get the word out. Those mags have those demo CDs all the time, or else have a seperate mailer.

I dunno how much that would cost or if DS would get the $ back, but it would sure add players. The amount of subscribers for each CD sent out may be a high ratio but at least its specific to people that are into games (and not like the ratio junk mail gets).

I got the CD at a computer store. I'd say send some more out to the stores and make it cheap for players to buy (but also a revenue source for the stores).

????
Anybody know if those magazines take submissions? I'd be into writting an article about the game but don't want to waste my time if they don't. Back in the day of "play by mail," I used to write for a small magazine and got published in some of the bigger ones as well. You used to be able to pretty easily freelance write for magazines (usually for free issues or game turns).

Is "Paper Mayhem" or the Great Britain mag "Starship" (think that was the name; still around? I know there were some others.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-02 10:08   
PCGamer Contact page
PCGamer Darkspace review
CGW Contact page

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-02 11:48   
PCGAMER UK said they wanted to play it badly, but it never made it across the sea .

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:23   
Maybe make a flyer or something to put in the stores...like EB, or future shop, where ever u shop for your games and then maybe make an add or post the site for DS on a gamming site.

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-02-02 15:44   
I found out about this game when I went to 3dgamer.com and found it on a search. I dowloaded it. It was pretty sweet to me. After playing the demo for a few days, I got bored, but then this free trial came up. I got to test out the "real thing" and all. However, after the latest patch, I've been getting huge amounts of lag, (which I countered with a new computer ) but also the various bugs in the game. I do go in the DS lobby daily, though. I still hang out here about every day. As for advertising, DS doesn't have enough, and yes, maybe because of monetary reasons. I don't know what the mods and admins are planning to do though. Maybe nothing. Still, I found Ds a very good game, and it's value to me has only slightly dimmed since the patch.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Chevere
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-05 22:39   
make it free. that will increase your player base

Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-05 23:04   
I have been thinking about buying 500 or so of the cheap cd-r's and burning a copy of the DS installer. Then take them to the 3 major pc game stores here in Longview TX and maybe even Tyler TX to see if they would put them on the counter to pass out to customers who might be interested. I havent decided yet. Just tossing the thought around.

Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-05 23:32   
Yeh methinks i saw a banner for DS on some site, fileplanet, i think. that was what? 3 years ago?

anydangways, i dont recall what, but when 1.481 came out, DS did SOMETHING to reel players in. I remember having 47 people in the FA server during that time. it was lagalicious, but awesome.

I know they gave out like 2 free weeks of play or something, and something else i forget. whatever it was, it worked, cuz we were flooded with new people. oh geez the chat was flooded with "Whats beta?" "How do i get better ships?" "WHOA that dread is HUGE!!" "Whats a gaifen??" too. heheh.

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023306 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR