No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Thank You
 Author Thank You
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-02 19:53   
Were to begin....

I suppose the at the beginning is as good a place as any..

I remember one saturday morning, getting up getting ready to go to a friends house, as he only came up to were I lived once every fortnight. I remember reading his PC GAMER magazine by his pc whilst watching him play FF7 (good game). I remember seeing "Blue Byte Battle Isle: DarkSpace". The guys in the UK were disapointed that the game didnt look as if it was going to be released in the UK after the beta testing. I remember writing down the URL, thinking I wouldnt do it or i'd forget later on. Needless to say a few days after, I decided to give it a go. I remember the beta well, weapons untweaked, anything could become anything. I didnt like the game at first, I was only 14 at the time and it was all a bit confusing as my parents had just baught a computer. So I left it after a week. Didnt think much of it again untill a year later when I saw in a PC GAMER magazine I collected "DarkSpace, space mmorpg, interesting, worth a try". I remembered seeing the name, I couldnt remember were though at the time. So I left it at there...

The magazine collected dust for another year almost untill I stumbled upon it again. Only be sheer luck did I manage to both flick to the page were that exact player review was writen, and at the same time remember were i'd seen it. I got on, installed it. So much had changed...The website, GCQL actualy worked properly, there was a RoC. I remember reading through it trying to see if I remembered anything. Not much luck, I left it for a few months untill that same friend that owned the magazine phoned me up and said, "I've found this new game called DarkSpace, its amazing you should try it!". My friend (Quinsisdos) is usualy right, and so I downloaded it, and I started playing it. DarkSpace was the first ever game I payed for monthly, and the first game that had a proper community.

I remember joining Zeon with Red Kerensky and CharAznable. My first two proper fleet leaders (far from perfect I know ). They did their job, and I was a pain in the ass, my and my friend always argued over who was better and, thanks to Char and Red for putting up with me for that. I had some great times in Zeon, usualy it was just 5 of us, including Thrie the Tiger flying around killing things. I left after not long, Zeon had become inactive in the beginning of summer. Which is when I reached FA first, I quickly reset my profile, not much fun staying at FA, and it wasnt, I wouldnt go back and change a thing, I would still do it. Anyway, I left DarkSpace a while, as did my friend Quinsisdos. I came back after two months and joined S.W. Without a doubt some of the best times I've had in DarkSpace have been with them, one memory of DarkSpace will always stay with me, and that was when NubMarine was cloud bombing a planet and needed a supply, enemys were around us, fleet chat was a bunch of jokes about some "Virtu" and "GTN this, PB that". Anyway, after the cheese fest, I left for a while, got kicked for inactivity I guess as when I came back I was fleetless. I managed to persuade my friend to come back then, or it might have been the other way around, I cant remember .

One word that will stay with the memory of DarkSpace will be GTN. S.W. was great, better than great...but no words will ever be able to describe what GTN was. Those who served in GTN will know what I mean, I had a great time flying with GTN. Nothing beats flying with Dem and Virtu, with them argueing in fleet chat about something, and then Malduc going "Stay away, im going to flux that Kamakazi Chicken if its the last thing I do!!!!!!!!".

I wont mention Raven, because my journey hasnt ended with them yet, and as you notice, I only mention the fleets that I have served in and moved on from.

This isnt a goodbye post, even though it looks like one.

Its more of a thank you post, it says it in the subject for heavens sake hehe.

I'd just like to thank all of those who I can call my friends here, even those I cant, they made DarkSpace what it is for me today, and even though the game isnt perfect right now. The community always has been, and I look at these new players today turning around without a second look back, and shaking my head because they dont know what they are missing.

Thank you DarkSpace players for accepting me into the community, no day would be a day for me without my daily dosage of loging on and whining about something. Im sorry if im an ass sometimes , I dont mean it always ^^.

Thank you 64 friends on my list, that daily have to put up with my spam. Without that list, I wouldnt bother logging in

Now if you excuse me...I have something in my eye that needs attending...

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-02-02 20:05 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-02-02 20:12   
Wait...my names not in there!

Joking.

Anyways, at first I was like "Nooo, not another one!" Then decided to read the rest of it and realized I got all worked up fro nothing , Damn you Jack

Dont worry bud, we all still wuv you.

Well not really, but I say that just to make you feel better.

-Ent

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-02 21:42   
Spammer.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-02 21:42   
Wuv you anyways though

Coleseus
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-03 02:07   
ah. well said Back.. i thank you all for providing me such a nice community when i joined too.
n yes i TOTALLY agree on what all these new players are missing out on.

Hellza - master
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-03 02:24   
i have something in my eye tooo

i was about to think that we would never be able to fight about "how uber kluth are"again *Crys*

Email Hellza - master
Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-03 03:19   
Thank YOU for that story Backy-some of us have an idea what Darkspace was like, getting ocassional glimpses in the lobby when the right folks are together, and reading through the long quotation threads when old-timers lurking in the shadows decide to throw cheese and everything else. It can be good again, yet different-poignant potential awaits.

Steamrunner

-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-02-03 13:08   
Heh, I think we may all have something in are eye after reading this. I know I do. I'll miss all your spam:P. At first I thought this was a goodbye message. I almost had a heart attack.

[ This Message was edited by: *RevenG {Absolut}* on 2005-02-03 13:09 ]

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-03 17:19   
In a rare serious moment for me:

I have only been with Dark Space for a little over a year. As a rule I hate space games, I'm more into Shooters, RPG, and Strategy type games .........but then Dark Space offers a touch of all this right?

I've had a lot of great times playing here, made a lot of friends, and expect to Have many more great times and make many more Friends here in the future.

I was never in GTN and always had a love/hate feeling for that fleet. I think many here who were not GTN had that same feeling. They were the enemy, they were the Largest fleet, Their members were loved, hated, respected, in many ways GTN WAS Dark Space.

The thing I love most about Dark Space is the Friendships you make here. I am UGTO yet I count easily more ICC and Kluth players among my friends than I do UGTO. The fact that you can go into the MV and take on say an ICC AC or Kluth Ganglia, then win or lose enter the Lobby and have a civil conversation with the player is (I think) one of the many things that make this Game and community so great. Hell I even often Hold convesations with members of other factions WHILE in battle with them! WE all do!

I have had the Honor and Privliege to fly both with AND against players like Backslash, Enterprise, Banshee, Virus, Ruff, Thugonomics, TAZ, Alien Mastermind, Azreal, Malduc, Rock, Meko, Plungedjet (who will always BE Plungedjet), Bito, Wyke, Switchbalde, Badboyz the list of old time Vets goes on and on.

Now I have the Honor and Privliege to fly both with AND against NEWER players.

I have spent many hours teaching newbies the how to's of Dark Space only to have them at some point later on teach ME something new. Just when I think I have found the best way to Bomb, or build a planet........the best way to Mod a TC or BD........some nOOb comes along and I learn something new.

Some say Dark Space is "Dying" or "Past it's Peak". That's Bull I say. I've played just over a year and have seen more than one slow period where few people played at any one given time, and then I've seen just as many times when the MV was almost overcrowded. Sure the MV can hold 500 but OMG what a mess THAT would be! I have seen over 100 in the MV, and as many as 80 in the Old FA and HalOs senarios, but to be honest.......40 players at one time is about average for any given time in my experience over the last year. at times there are only 10 - 20. At times 50 - 60.

Dark Space will be here long after many of us have grown bored with it, or just don't like this patch or that. I hope that time for me is a long way off.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-03 17:24   

I couldnt list all the people I like flying with, even those I say I hate, I enjoy the old tussle in the MV with.

If my friends list could contain more, it would, without a doubt. But I've had to remove so many people that have never loged back in . I wish they would as there are lots of people I miss.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-05 05:06   
Heh didnt expect to be on yer list ferawulf.... i still consider myself a rookie to the game. i mean, im not even a year old!!!

Email Meko
Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-05 17:12   
Gee backy, i wish i could remember that instance, but in my style of play, or at least the way it used to be, i encountered countless situations just like the 1 you described. Probably more were unsuccessful than the other way around too. Hey, but you gotta love it, brings a smile to my face thinking of stuff like that.

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-02-05 20:48   
I wish i never Disbanded ~Z~, but those were some good times. You should get Quin back into DS.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-05 20:54   
($hattered Dream$ In $hallow Grave$)
hehe, i never got a chance to join -GTN-, but i do remember the great battles with em in the OLD metaverse and Admiral

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-05 22:13   
Quote:

On 2005-02-05 20:48, CharAznable wrote:
I wish i never Disbanded ~Z~, but those were some good times. You should get Quin back into DS.

He plays FFXI now me thinks. He doesnt ring me anymore tho :/

Page created in 0.022949 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR