Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A few questions
 Author A few questions
Makani
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 18:18   
I have a few questions about this game. First of all...

1. What's the difference between antimatter and tachyon drives? I thought at first the AM drive allowed you to jump between systems, but that was disproved when I made the jump from Epsilon Ind to Xi Bootis with a tachyon drive.

2. Is there ANY good fleet that actually teaches you how to do things? I've seen a few that say they do, and may very well do so, but they're never on. Ever. I live in the PST timezone, just so you know.

3. Why aren't any of my badges working? I earned a bronze combat and bronze bomber, there's a ship out there that needs commander/BB/BC (I think it's an ICC vessel), and even though I've even tried at a SY in the MV with the required tech, I still can't use it (the badges are in red).

4. And finally, is there any good strategy to dodge something after it's fired at you? It seems like whenever something's fired at me, even if it's not homing, it curves and follows me until I get hit. Even if it misses by a mile, it still explodes and I take damage. Help?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-02-11 18:28   
Quote:

On 2005-02-11 18:18, Makani wrote:

1. What's the difference between antimatter and tachyon drives? I thought at first the AM drive allowed you to jump between systems, but that was disproved when I made the jump from Epsilon Ind to Xi Bootis with a tachyon drive.

Anti Matter recharges twice as fast and also the jump speed is twice as fast

Quote:

2. Is there ANY good fleet that actually teaches you how to do things? I've seen a few that say they do, and may very well do so, but they're never on. Ever. I live in the PST timezone, just so you know.

We at MYTH always try to help when we can, but we are mostly GMT.

Quote:

3. Why aren't any of my badges working? I earned a bronze combat and bronze bomber, there's a ship out there that needs commander/BB/BC (I think it's an ICC vessel), and even though I've even tried at a SY in the MV with the required tech, I still can't use it (the badges are in red).

If your playing on the newbie.darkspace.net server, its capped to a certain rank, try playing in the MV and selecting a shipyard that has the resources and technology to build it.

Quote:

4. And finally, is there any good strategy to dodge something after it's fired at you? It seems like whenever something's fired at me, even if it's not homing, it curves and follows me until I get hit. Even if it misses by a mile, it still explodes and I take damage. Help?

Speed, lots of speed and left and right.

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-11 18:33   
Quote:

1. AMJD's travel much faster than the Tachyon drive system. That's why many people have AM Drive systems and Jump system. Your acceleration does increase a little but not the top speed.

2. Just ask around. There are many people who would help you. I'm also one of them. (Grant that I hardly log on anymore but, I'm still great help on MSN, AIM, or YIM)

3. You are subbed, you do have the right badges, and as well as the rank. There shouldn't be any problem accessing the ship. I don't know how you can't access the ship though..

4. Dodging is a nice skill to know. It solely depends on how you turn and WHEN you turn. You have to turn at the right moment to dodge torps and missles. AM Torps I believe are the easiest torp to dodge (from my exp.).

Hope that helps a little. =)

Email Shippo
Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 18:43   
For evading, you need to be at least a speed of 5 (out of 25 or whatever your bar says) and preferably 15-20 is crusing speed to still have power unless you are a frigate or scout, which is 20-25. It is best to evade JUST AFTER the shot is fired, and, to try and get a 90 degree angle on the shots coming your way. Try to keep in mind the rough recharge rate of what is being fired at you, and whether it is a front or 360 mounted weapon to avoid getting shot at by the heaviest guns.

If you are constantly turning, rather than waiting for the right time, the firing computers will compensate a lot, especially the rifle type weapons. For missiles, keep an ear open for the "you are targeted" beep, and incoming that has you as a target should be highlighted. You can out run missiles if you don't want to fight their shooter, or get them as close to 90 degrees to your starboard or port as you can, since missiles have up to around 45 degrees at most of decent tracking. Most missiles I know of will not blow up and get you via proximity blast if you jink them that way. However, I do not know of most missiles, and am still an ubsubbed Middie.

Drafell, just wait till I get subbed-you have a litle payback coming your way. =o]

By the way, I am PST as well. I recently joined SW, as their maturity level seems to be damn good (looks around for flamers), and I have been included painlessly and easily on a run with them in the MV just from barely opening my mouth. They seem to be pretty helpful, even though their time zone coverage for PST is evenings, its definitely possible to get some play on.

Hope that helped.

Steam

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-11 19:37   
Quote:

On 2005-02-11 18:43, Steamrunner wrote:
...blah blah blah...

By the way, I am PST as well. I recently joined SW, as their maturity level seems to be damn good (looks around for flamers), and I have been included painlessly and easily on a run with them in the MV just from barely opening my mouth. They seem to be pretty helpful, even though their time zone coverage for PST is evenings, its definitely possible to get some play on.

Steam

Most of what you said had merit, but frankly I resent this remark. We here at the Spork Warriors might quite possibly be the most immature group of vagabonds this side of a Star Trek convention. Most of us still live with our mothers (actually, I live with Depthcharge's mom), and we don't plan on ever growing up. Now take it back, before I put gum in your hair.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-02-11 19:54   
Quote:

• 1. The difference is a slight one infact. The AM Jump Drive charges much faster than its Tachyon counterpart. It increased jump speeds from 2.8k gu/sec to 3k gu/sec. Yes that 200gu/sec makes quite a difference.

• 2. Good fleets are ones that are active, not merely on. You dont necessarily need a fleet for help, or for anyone on. Simply just find friends out there if you really want/need to.

• 3. This could be any number of reasons. For one, it may be that very, very annoying SY bug that occurs. I may also be that it doesnt have the resources (yes I know its MV, but ive seen it before.) or it may be because of something you, missed, I really dont know.

• The reason things hit you is either because A.) Your going too slow (go around 20gu/sec and you should dodge most torps.) or B.) Your going the wrong direction. If somethings comming at you, go broadside and itll miss.

-Ent

Steamrunner
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-11 20:49   
Quote:

On 2005-02-11 19:37, AdmBito wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-02-11 18:43, Steamrunner wrote:
...blah blah blah...

Steam

Most of what you said had merit, but frankly I resent this remark. We here at the Spork Warriors might quite possibly be the most immature group of vagabonds this side of a Star Trek convention. Most of us still live with our mothers (actually, I live with Depthcharge's mom), and we don't plan on ever growing up. Now take it back, before I put gum in your hair.

Bito

Since I conveniently happened to say the maturity level of SW is damn good, you can take that either way, up or down. In your case, it is way down, and anyone else in SW who agrees with you can have non fat cheese products until Evil freezes over. Sir.

Now go to Britain and join CRASS-they like your kind there.
http://www.cheeseracing.org/

[ This Message was edited by: Steamrunner on 2005-02-11 20:49 ]

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-02-11 22:31   
Wait wait wait wait... SW is mature? /clan leave

They seem to have answered everything - but I would like to let you know that you shouldn't be using your jumpdrive to get between systems - jumpdrives are mostly for in-system jumps, you should use the jumpgates when they are available, and make use of other people's wormholes to get to other systems. Long-jumping (using your tach or AMJ drive to get between systems) is the last of all last resorts.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Page created in 0.016790 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR