No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +8.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Another Admiral for the Cause
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Another Admiral for the Cause
Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-02-25 04:11   
Hey oh I have now Resubbed and the ICC now have another Vice Admiral to battle the lobsters, and UGTO.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-02-25 07:22   
Quote:

On 2005-02-24 20:39, Bobamelius wrote:
Removal of the Phoenix missile? Why?!

I'm certainly no expert, but I think the F/A-18 was designed to be a multi-role strike fighter, able to do anything and everything. Kinda like the Navy's version of the F-16.

And Jester, that is one rad pic.

Yes the AIM-54C "Phoenix" missile has been officially removed from service a couple of months ago. The U.S. Navy didn't want to do it till the F-14's where actually retired but since the missiles cost a million dollars US a pop and have NEVER been fired once in anger (only in practice) they had become, how should we say, a money pit. All money for the "Phoenix" missile project was being used for upkeep only. Now mind you they are not destroying the missiles... they are being placed in war reserve storage along with the Tomcats.

As to the F/A-18: The Hornet (or Lawn Dart as it is not so affectionalty know as) was originally conceived to be a direct replacement for the A-7E "Corsair II". The Corsair was a light attack aircraft that could carry almost anything in the naval weapons inventory while still being able to use air to air missiles to defend itself. The F/A-18A was the next logical step to replace the Corsair and was a fitting choice. Then when the A-6E "Intruder" was denied it's rewinging and avionics upgrade (Think Flight of the Intruder if oyu need to picture the plane.) and would have become the A-6F. The Intruder was the premier Strike Aircraft the navy had even into the early-mid 90's when the the F/A-18C came out (new avionics and engines) thus nailing the final part of the coffin shut for the Intruder. Now as was said above the F/A-18 was invisioned along the lines of the Air Force's F-16C's. Now enter, stage left, the F/A-18E "Super Hornet" (Single Seat, Multi-Role Fighter) to replace the aging F-18C fleet (IMO a very good idea and basically a cross between an F-15C and a F-16C) and the F/A-18F "Super Hornet" (Two Seat, Multi-Role Fighter akin to a bastard cross-breed of an F-14D and a F-15E) to replace the F-14's.

Now as far as the F-14 vs. F-18 idea...

F-14 has 4 Mark 1 Mod Zero Eyeballs, F-18 has two...

F-14 can go faster, farther and higher than a F-18 on a single tankfull of gas...

F-14 was modified to be a Strike Fighter too... F-18 is still doing what it was planned to do... nothing else...

Oh and get this... The new F-18E/F's are designed to be tankers as well (can carry a centerline "Buddy Store" refueling pod) thus killing another jet, the S-3B "Viking".

They are also fiddling with the idea, and I shudder at the thought of it, of replacing the EA-6B "Prowler" Electronic Warfare Aircraft (Jammer) with the EF-18G. They have actually given a "Name" to the project but I cannot recall it at the moment. I am glad I am retiring in March of 2006. Over 20 years I have seen too many great jets go by the wayside because of one jet. I know it is changing times but if a part that is common amongst all F-18's breaks and its an important enough part to look at all the F-18's you will have downed about 70% of the US Navy's Strike Fighters for inspection and repair....

I not what you think but this "All your eggs in one basket" mentality is going to be the death of the US Navy...

Nuff Said For Now....
To Be Continued....

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.009777 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR