- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Evellon
16th - faudin
14th - moriens

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Griefers/Exploitors
 Author Griefers/Exploitors
IronDuke
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-25 19:05   

Given all the trouble DS seems to suffer from Griefer/Explotors, people might find the following interesting. Which is study about what motivates griefers and exploitors and what can be done about it in game design and moderation.

Perhaps Palestar might gain something from it to make Darkspace a better game.

http://www.snoozeboy.net/writings/whengoodthings_final.pdf

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-02-26 02:35   
I still demand my silver bug exploiter badge...

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
IronDuke
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-27 05:28   

The basic system suggested is a form of player moderation, outlaw tag or karma type score that can be attached to players by other players.

This could be intergrated in to DS by using say an outlaw/arch-enemy flag, or have a number of transferable votes, maybe one vote per rank, that a player can tag onto an enemy players. The moderators keep a close eye on those players with the highest scores.

Puddle Jumper
Cadet

Posted: 2005-02-27 10:47   
blah blah blah.

DS doesn't need more rules. If anything it needs less rules and restrictions.

BulletBoy
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-04 17:49   
i kinda agree with apollo on this one...

Email BulletBoy
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-03-04 18:18   
Those systems are based on the flawed concept that people will give unbiased feedback and not person convictions.

So you dont like a player, you and your friends then flag them with a ton of negative demarets... Now all of a sudden the entire staff is breathing down his neck and automatically dismissing him when ever they see his name on a report because of his high bad guy points.

Instead of being "fair" the system is in fact "unfair" and extremely biased and prone to fraud and other inaccuracys.

So we'll be sticking with our current system... Actually DS has a percentagely lower level of griefers/exploiters than other games, most items you hear about are the same handful of people and they are delt with accordingly. Just ask those that have had stats wiped. (Really cant asked the perma bans now can ya...)

Email Tael
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-04 19:18   
He's right. If you get caught uber exploiting. Your doomed for life. Its not worth losing all your stats.

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-04 23:21   
Well, I wouldn't say the fellow (author) is an idiot, but all he's really done is write down a bunch of ideas. He casually dismisses that he was unable to find anybody to interview as unnecessary...so all he really did is give his opinion.

I see /reports as the player driven system of rating your fellows. I disagree with banning being ("bad" is the way I interpreted it) -it seems to have the required desired effect.

Nax

Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2005-03-05 18:01   
I read the whole article, and it seems to me that the "grief" that the author was referring to is specifically due to those players (in large MMOGs that roll-play) that kill other players even when it doesn't directly pertain to game play. Players that just wait to ambush noobs, thus “spoiling” their game play. Since killing is an integral part of the game play in DarkSpace, it really can’t be considered a “grief-ing” activity. The first few weeks playing DarkSpace made me wonder if I had a bulls-eye on the back of my shirt…but I am still here. It’s the name of the game.

There are bugs in DarkSpace, and some of these may be exploited…the crew at Palestar gets to them, eventually, and fixes them when they have the time; but none of them is especially damaging to game play. Sure, around new version releases we get outbreaks of sabotage and other exploitation…but this is usually due to noobs unaware of the RoC (who haven’t bothered to read the RoC).

Any and every complaint that I have had about other players during my tenure at DarkSpace has been more than adequately dealt with by the current staff (and the current system of dealing with inappropriate game play some players).

Knowing that there is a “report” option can be pretty self-policing in its own way too.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-05 21:13   
I could not agree with you more Tael.

Goto the website of Novacat
IronDuke
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-06 05:41   
Quote:

On 2005-03-04 18:18, Tael wrote:
Those systems are based on the flawed concept that people will give unbiased feedback and not person convictions.

So you dont like a player, you and your friends then flag them with a ton of negative demarets... Now all of a sudden the entire staff is breathing down his neck and automatically dismissing him when ever they see his name on a report because of his high bad guy points.

Instead of being "fair" the system is in fact "unfair" and extremely biased and prone to fraud and other inaccuracys.

So we'll be sticking with our current system... Actually DS has a percentagely lower level of griefers/exploiters than other games, most items you hear about are the same handful of people and they are delt with accordingly. Just ask those that have had stats wiped. (Really cant asked the perma bans now can ya...)

This assumes most people are basically willing to grief/exploit. However ask yourself the question 'How many people currently exploit ?' They are a minority, a vocal troublesome minority but a minority. It is the same players again and again that the players see attempting to exploit. Players have much more eyeballs than mods.

Anybody trying to exploit a system like this would simply be noise in the background of the vast majority of reasonable players, who are willing and eager to play in a fair trouble free game.

Currently the biggest problem with darkspace, not the lag, not the balance, but people getting angry with a lack of enforcement against exploiting. Something needs to be done. How many players have left darkspace in the last few month citing griefer/exploiter tactics as the cause ? You only have to read the forums to know its a lot.

Page created in 0.020339 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR