No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » *Updated again* Planet Ideas...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author *Updated again* Planet Ideas...
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-24 18:38   
Updates:
Original Post (Only def)
Added Bunker/GCL
Change to shield gen/added bio-dome/infantry effect/change luth cloak
Added power requirements for luth cloak and uggie ABRAMS (and made it's abbreviation sound much cooler)
Added New sensor bases/upgraded dictor bases

Okay, as a long-time engineer (and holder of 2.5K construction points even with a ton of scrapping) I feel that the planet system needs more...every planet is exactly the same when done and engineering has become "Who can build the cookie cutter planet first?". As such I have devised a large number of possible new building to be added to the game.

First the K'luth since this is my favorite idea. Before I say anything else, this is not wholely my idea. In fact most of it was Trekkie's idea but since he didn't post it first, I will .

The K'luth Planetary Cloak Field Generator:
Requirements:
Medium-High Tech (thinking 70-ish maybe? anywhere from 50 up is good to me, though less than 50 might be good too...)
Medium-Low amount of metal/Heavy metal
Medium amount of hypermatter (thinking 50 or so per gen)
High amount of power (thinking 50-100)

Effect: The K'luth PCFG produces a cloak field, similar to the K'luth ship-borne cloak in all aspects but size. In fact the generator is larger than the planet itself. The Cloak field stretches over a region approximatly 750gu in radius. Within this field, no difference is experianced by the occupants except (possibly) a cloaking time enhancement and the innability to see any ships outside the field (unless possibly another ship has identified them). Without (outside) this field the planet and all ships near the planet are rendered invisable except to scanners. The planets location and orbital patterns already being known allow it to remain visable on the navigation screen, but untargetable (you'll see why). Only one PCFG may be built on a planet.

Lamens terms: The PCFG makes a planet un-bombable until you're within it's field, because what you can't target you can't bomb. Within the field you feel no difference. I hope that's enough explanation because I'm a bit short on time...

Next up is the revamp to the ICC shield gen, this is a simple change to balance it with the other two faction specific defenses

The ICC Planetary shield now requires 50 (I'd prefer something more along the lines of 75-100) Darkmatter to build and 30 (or maybe 25?) tech. The Shield gains the ability to stop 50% of bio bombs/neutron bombs directed at it.

Finally, my incredably changed and much better (and also first brought up in a meaningful way, I was kind of thinking of this but until he gave me the idea of what it would actually be I couldn't concieve of this effect)

Anti-Bomb Ranged Anti-Missle Scramjet base:

Requirements:
Medium-Low amount of tech (thinking 25-ish)
Medium amount of metals/hvy metals
Medium amount of hydrogen/oxygen (fuel for missiles)
Low amount of power (thinking 10)

Effect: The UGTO ABRAMS base provides anti-bomb and missiles coverage to a section of a planet for as long as it's ammo hold. The base launches interceptor missles (scramjets actually) at each inbount bomb/missile. The missiles can be launched to intercept any inbound within (I don't know how diamonds convert to miles, so either a 9 or 25 diamond area). The base contains only 100-75 missiles (displayed as the energy, without the percent if possible) and once they are used up they take a long time, and 1 metal each, to reload (thinking a good 10 min. to go from 0-100, and a full reload would require 100 metal, no metal no missile). The missiles cannot intercept anything outside the athmosphere due to their scramjet engines, which allow them the neccessary intercept time.

Lamens Terms: Stops 100 bombs/missiles within 9-25 blocks around it (square) but can't attack interplanetary objects. This base would be capable of stopping a planetary siege missile aimed at one of it's spaces, at the cost of 5-10 missiles, and can destroy an asteroid hitting it's space at the cost of 10-15 missiles. The base can stop all bombs and missiles, including bios, but (like the shield) can't stop infantry as their capsules give off too little thermal radiation to be targetted and the base would have a much longer "recharge" time than the shield gen.

Common Buildings:

Bunker:

Requirements:
Low Tech (thinking 5, this is meant as a before def bases def)
Low Amount of metal/Medium amount of heavy metal
2 workers
no power

Effect: The Bunker can hold up to (insert # of inf per space on a planet) infantry or heavy infantry, and provided protection from bombing for them. The infantry must be on the Bunker's space to be protected and are rendered immune to all bombs (though if bunker is destroyed, they become normal inf again, make bunker have a ton of health, should take a large number of mirvs to kill it). The infantry on the bunker space automaticly have their settings set to defense.

Ground Chemical Laser Turret (GCL Turret):

Requirements:
Medium-Low tech (thinking 10-15, again a before def base def...I prefer 10 myself)
Medium amount of metals, low amount of heavy metals, very low amount of cryo-metals (5 or so)
No workers
High power requirement (thinking 10-20)

Effect: The GCL Turret can "bunker" 2 infantry on it's space, rendering them defensive and using them to man it's weapons. Those infantry can also no be killed by bombs until the GCL turret (medium health, not because it's particurally sturdy, but because it would have the capability to shoot down some of the bombs aimed right at it, not shown other than in it's health). Once the infantry manning the turret (both of them) are killed, the turret becomes inert. Until such time however, the turret provides a bonus to any and all nearby infantry in that it does 10-33% dmg per "round" to infantry, and 5-15% to heavy infantry automaticly (as long as it's manned).

Bio-Dome:

Requirements:
Medium Tech (Thinking 35-40 ish maybe...max of 50 or so)
Medium-Low metals/Hvy metals
Small amount of urd OR hypermatter (I prefer urd, but HM might be better so this is a rare and pwoerful building)
Medium power requirements (thinking max of 15, min 3-4)

Effect: Provides 10 food, and 10 habitat.

*New* Sensor Base changes

1. Remove Anti-Sensor base
Reason: It is rarely used in release, and with the new cloak there will be no reason to have one. Sensor bases are needed to stop ECM bombing so Anti-Sensor is worthless.

2. Add the Phased Sensor Array Base
Requirements: 50 tech, medium amount of metals, some urd or hypermatter, and 1.5x a sensor base's power

Effect: Acts as if it was 2-3 sensor bases.

3. Add the Tachyon Sensor Base
Requirements: 80 tech, medium amount of metals, larger amount of urd or hyper, and 2-2.5x a sensor base's power

Effect: Acts like 3-5 sensor bases

*New* Interdictor base changes

1. Add the Gravity Based Interdictor Base
Requirements: 10-15 power, 25-35 tech, medium amount of metals and hvy. metals, some hypermatter

Effect: Interdictor field with 500gu range

2. Add the Subspace Interdictor Base
Requirements: 1.5x the current dictor power, 90 tech, medium-high amount of metals and hvy. metals, medium-large amount of hypermatter

Effect: Interdictor with 1500-2000gu radius

3. Move the current dictor down to 50-65 tech and lower it's power requirements a little

Other ideas:

Extra Infantry:

What is the idea?: The more habitable the planet, the more inf you can build on it

Barren=32 inf
Arid=35 inf
Ice=36 inf
Terran=40 inf

Infantry change:

What is the idea?: Infantry are better at defense than offense, and mobile infantry (hvy now) are better at offense than defense.

Infantry (basic) gain a bonus to defense and attack when on a friendly planet. Mobile (heavy) infantry gain a bonus to defense and attack when on an enemy planet.

Balancing: Mobile (hvy) infantry require only 5 tech to build and 3:00 (maybe even 2) min instead of 4:00.

Extra info: The bonus's would cancel each other out so that a mobile attacking a defending basic would be on even ground, but a mobile attacking a mobile defending would be easier etc. (inf attacking mobile inf are equal also)

What do you guys think? Oh, and thx a ton trekkie.

[small][ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-04-03 18:04 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-04-03 20:21 ]

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-26 11:31   
Bumpity...

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-04-03 20:22 ]

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

NeoHermes (vigilance)
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-03-26 12:29   
I like your ideas, Especially the Anti-Missiles and Bombs. The cloak sounds strange to me though. Because if your a scout (me) and i go to a planet unsuspecting of getting alpha striked. i cross paths with Dread and he's cloaked, with a Planetary cloak generator on the planet it enhances it so... as soon as i pass him he uncloaks and i'm owned. i don't want to get owned!!!

[ .....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ]

[ This Message was edited by: Neohermes on 2005-03-26 12:31 ]

"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"- Unknown

Email NeoHermes (vigilance)   Goto the website of NeoHermes (vigilance)
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-26 12:34   
Quote:

On 2005-03-26 12:29, Neohermes wrote:
I like your ideas, Especially the Anti-Missiles and Bombs. The cloak sounds strange to me though. Because if you're a scout (me) and i go to a planet unsuspecting of getting alpha striked. i cross paths with Dread and he's cloaked, with a Planetary cloak generator on the planet it enhances it so... as soon as i pass him he uncloaks and i'm owned. i don't want to get owned!!!

Well, the dread would be able to uncloak own you with or without the cloak gen thx to the new beta cloak which is basicly what I'm suggesting for the planet. Mr. Scout goes to the planet and has to get within dictor range to see anything, and if they're cloaked he can't see them anyways so it doesn't make a distance...