Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » The Art of War
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author The Art of War
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-27 17:48   
LMFAO, I saw that

Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-28 21:41   
yeah, that was fun.^_^

in truth, i was just farting around there.

haha, good times.

Diomed
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-29 09:35   
Captain. I hate to do this, but even though The Art of War is a great book, I have to side against you on this one. While the writings of Sun Tzu may apply in some small way to this game, I would never know that from your statements. That is because one of Sun Tzu's earlier writings stated, "When writing about me, try to spell a word correctly once in a while. Also, a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence could be helpful. Otherwise it is impossible for you to convince your reader that you are intellectually superior to anyone."

Diomed
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-29 09:39   
More thoughts on the subject of posts:

I understand that there is no GrammarCheck in Word to help some of the more challenged among us, but could you at least try drafting your post in Word first and using SpellCheck? It is very sad how many of the posts here are just riddled with errors. Maybe while you are waiting for your next big battle, you could read a book?

Sorry about the rants. I am just losing all faith in humanity.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-03-29 10:57   
Sometimes whilst typing, we hit a key we dont mean too, you cannot fault people for tiny errors. I wouldnt count on yourself being too popular if you keep flaming like that. Everyone knows that grammar and the internet Do Not Mix. This is because some people just want to type quickly, and often dont want to spend a long time posting a reply or a starting a thread. Hence, you becomes u, and so on. However, most of the time, its just someone who wants to get something down quickly before it leaves their mind and they forget about it.

Also keep in mind that on the internet, are people of all ages, and as such, nothing can be perfect. Some people may infact have reading problems, did that ever cross your mind? Also some people come from different backgrounds and countries, where words are spelt different (take color and colour for instance).

I think perhaps, in the future, you should remind yourself that this is the internet, not a University class, full of A* students doing English and Grammar.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-03-29 21:23 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-03-29 13:11   
Internet + People Trouble Reading = Very Bad mixture.

90% of internet activitys, games etc. etc., REQUIRE reading. Reading what people say, reading announcements..information...instructions etc. etc. Its goes on.

Some people (ike me unfortunately) have developed the habit of reading what im typing (yes I do look at the screen when I type ), and inherently wind up with captial letters and periods. Very strange.

Or it might be Dem's doing, he got me into this infernal habit.

*/me hereby places a tag on Dems name reading [b]Demorian [Professional Spellchecker extraordinair].

-Ent

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-29 14:33   
U waNt me to spelchek? scrw dat.

Email Tbone
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-29 18:28   
I remember that battle in Lalande.
Hours of waiting all paid off in the end.

I would disagree with something. Savage, you're well intentioned but, you simply were giving bad advice. You also made the assumption, essentially, that we were all ignorant barbarians.

My recommendation, instead of attempting to talk like you know what you're doing - is to actually attempt to lead others doing it. If they follow, that's the first good sign. If they continue to follow, that's even better.

Take Banshee for example. Usually if he starts telling people to do stuff, people do it. Sometimes he's, um, aggressive with his opinions - but the people who have been around for awhile know his reputation and skill in the game.

As a specific example. I like to think I fly & fight well. When we visited Ross the other day -- I did lots of shooting, mixed it up with at least 6 different ships, and left the system at 72% hull...Banshee left with only shield damage and probably mixed it up with as many ships. I haven't a clue how he does that - well, I probably do have a clue, I just can't quite manage it. Pretty much, since I've flown with/around him...it's always been that way.

Am I better than many in this game - probably. (trying not to be too arrogant) Is he better than me? - yes.

So to make a summary. Don't talk, lead. If they let you, you probably have the right ideas.

Nax

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-03-30 17:09   
I learned of the Art of War from an older military veteran that lived a few doors down when I was about 10. Being that age, and being in the era of Bruce Lee and such, I was fastenated by all things that dealt with that general area.

At any rate, I read it very young, and have actually never forgotten the lessons that I learned from it. About 10 years ago, I came across a very good edition and bought it for a discount. After re-reading it, I was actually astonished at how much I had remembered.
I also grew up in the video game era. I had pong, atari, Commodor 64. I played PacMan, Tempest, Defender, and all those. There isn't an arcade game in the 80's that I haven't played.
I actually loved D&D when I was younger because of the ability to USE TACTICS, and it wasn't until a game called Ghengis Khan came out that a game seemed to offer the ability to actually USE TACTICS. Up till then it was fire fast, dodge, sometimes grab, or just time a button push. BLAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

Now, take a game like Dark Space. Fact is, being able to apply those strategies in this game is what keeps me here. To think that there is no place for the use of the Art of War is just plain ignorant of the contents of that book. I don't mean that in a bad way.

That same book was translated to French about 200 years ago. It was used by some of the greatest military minds since then, including Napolean, Washigton, Howe, Rommell, Patton, and is still considered important enough to be taught in places like West Point and VMI. Now, that says alot about a strategy guide written a millennnia ago.

When you break the book down and examine it, and compare it to other military strategy dictea, you see that Sun-tzu's tactics are merely being expanded upon and in fact weakened. Intead of the fluid, very simplistic way of looking at a tactical area, they make it more concreted and inflexable.

I use Art of War tactics with everything from planning a mission, to actually duking it out. I have a copy right next to my PC in fact. I do read it and glance through it periodically, just because every now and then it sparks a really 1337 @$$ idea.

So those are my opins.

Oh, and that cruiser hitting the Missle dread or whatever it was. Of COURSE the cruiser can dead jump him if they are just in space somewhere. That doesn't invalidate the tactic.

Sun-tzu said that to make an enemy move, you show him something to entice him, or threaten something dear to him. So when you jump that missle dread, expect that 1. a dictor is slamming the door on you one way or another. 2. Alot of ordinance is going to be bumping your hull when the wolfpack sitting off away from the missle dread pounce in 5 seconds behind the dictor. 3. You will re-evaluate you ideas that tactics from a millennia old book can't pwn you like a newbiefish on a wrangler's rod while you are modding a new cruiser and mentally formenting your whine posts.

At least, that's what would happen if I, an expert in the Art of War, were doing the strategerizing.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Diomed
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-31 15:48   
BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

"Sometimes whilst typing, we hit a key we dont mean too, you cannot fault people for tiny errors. I wouldnt count on yourself being too popular if you keep flaming like that. Everyone knows that grammar and the internet Do Not Mix. This is because some people just want to type quickly, and often dont want to spend a long time posting a reply or a starting a thread. Hence, you becomes u, and so on. However, most of the time, its just someone who wants to get something down quickly before it leaves their mind and they forget about it.

Also keep in mind that on the internet, are people of all ages, and as such, nothing can be perfect. Some people may infact have reading problems, did that ever cross your mind? Also some people come from different backgrounds and countries, where words are spelt different (take color and colour for instance).

I think perhaps, in the future, you should remind yourself that this is the internet, not a University class, full of A* students doing English and Grammar."

In reply, I would simply state that when corresponding with people using the written language it is your spelling and grammar which convey either your intelligence or the amount of respect you have for the people with whom you are corresponding. I was simply pointing out that in his attempt to win an argument, he was more likely to convey the image of intelligence he wished to convey if he was a little more careful with the way he presented his points. I have no problem whatsoever with someone deliberately using abbreviations in a casual setting such as this. He obviously was not doing that, so that is not the issue here.

Further, for you to assume that someone from another country or background is unable to present their points intelligently in writing in giving them a little less credit than they deserve, even if they do live where words are spelt different. (Or spelled differently, for that matter.)

[ This Message was edited by: Diomed on 2005-03-31 15:49 ]

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-03-31 17:05   
nice to see that some on ugto/icc actuly are starting to think in stradegies and tactics.

just bashing in leaving the brain behind never works.

having the biggest gun dont ensure victory overall.

thats not news for kluth i might ad.

kluth is based on it

and with the amount of thinking players on kluth i wonder, why first now

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-03-31 18:22   
Don'tcha just love Rag's?

Another "K'Luth are smarter and better" post.

Nax

A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2005-03-31 21:10   
I like this post on the Art of War.Very interesting and informative to say the least.BTW i got the newest one from barnes and nobles translated by Ralph D. Sawyer.Very nice but this version is a bit too lets say summed up for people who just started reading military books.Anyway remind me to have a little discussion of military knowledge with u k captain.

Email A Troll =SSC=
Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-03-31 21:42   
wow, i never thought a post like that could go on and on for so long...mind u, when the people who r responding to it keep saying the same things over and over AND over again, i can go on and on forever until someone comes and kills the thread...and on another note, jsut bAEcause some of us lazy people don't spell correctly, doesn' mean we're un-intelligant...or what ever it is...

and some might think that they know alot about tactics of war and such, mind u some do, there will always be another person who will know more han u will ever know. my opinions and such, don't like it...don't read

meast

Captain_Savage
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-10 05:13   
@Cobra: i will.
my copy is done by Samuel B. Griffith. i keep it next to my Bible, my Book of Mormon, and my copy of the Zombie Survival Guide.

@Measter: Exactly.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023701 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR