No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +23.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » The difference...
 Author The difference...
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-04-10 13:07   
...between lag and FPS. Since, lately mostly, I've noticed people yelling about lag when no one else has any, I figured I'd difuse the two.

I don't know how people get the two confused however, so I'll do my best to explain their difference.

Lag is related to your connection, FPS, is related to your graphics.

When your screen starts a "chugging" effect, or the frames are slow, you are under a low FPS, or Frames Per Second, this is usually when there are more objects with more polys than your graphics card can handle, and in no way shape or form has ANYTHING to do with the internet, or the game, its your comp.

LAG, otherwise known as your ping, has to do with your connectiion, it is measured in ms. Higher is worse of course. 200 is about as decent as it gets for 56k. Anything below 100 is awesome. However, lag in this game is mostly server side, and its noticiable because all people usually experience it at once.

Lag is easily discovered when your ship stops responding, and things stop shooting. Then suddenly, everyone will jerk to another position. This is lag, or a stalling, which is induced when everyone needs to catch up (hence lagging behind). This is what confuses people.

Next time your ingame, tell the difference between the two, and when you go into the lobby yelling about not being able to play because of lag, bear in mind it might be your graphics.

-Ent

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-10 13:14   
I think alot of people are getting the two confused. Although I don't get FPS drops in DS(I used to on my old comp), I do sometimes get lagged(or desync'ed). And for some users, it's hard for them to make out the difference, especially if they aren't avid computer users.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-10 14:53   
The one thing about server side lag though is that only one person can experiance it, everyone doesn't have to. I get regular spikes of lag, not slowing down but the game stopping and me being unable to move, type, or fire...and while I get these other people often have no lag...and I ahve broudband