No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +22.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » {RIP}FA/GA Scenario Server
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author {RIP}FA/GA Scenario Server
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-10 21:29   
A few days ago several people started posting in a thread wanting the FA/GA server back. (Ironicly within 2 days of it being restarted, the thread was deleted by the original poster...)

People apparently forgot that the FA server died once the Shipyards came out. Noone wanted to play on it anymore, so it was retired.

Contrary to the staffs attempts to remind everyone how it was them that abandoned the FA/GA server, the posters to the thread waxed lyrically that returning the server would be a monumentous event and herald in a renaissance era for Darkspace...

Thursday night the server went back up, Friday it had a handful of players, Saturday rarely more than a couple, Sunday it sat completely ignored... All the while the MV had 50 or more people on at a time...

Thus in the end we find FA/GA abandond by the players ago and the stark reality the staff was right regardless of persistant counter arguements by many posters to the initial thread was apparently embarressment enough for the initial poster to delete his thread.

We'll be taking the FA/GA server down again shortly. This is the third time we've gone through this drill, hopefull we wont have to expend the resources to set it all back up again later in order to prove the era of the FA/GA scenario are long since past...

Email Tael
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-04-10 21:36   
Unf.

Now Tael, youll have them all saying you should modify the code so that it nulls the SY. (shakes head.)

-Ent

WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-10 21:45   
Honostly, I bet the GA/FA server would be a different thing if it wasn't for the fact that about the time you get a dread, you spend at least a hour building and gathering resources, then have only 30 minutes AT MOST to play with it. That being the one lucky person who was first on getting the dread.

But honostly, until such a thing can happen to field dreads earlier and play them longer, no point in the return of FA/GA server.

Email WinterRose
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-10 22:20   
That is the whole point Rose, code changes to support the FA/GA server are never going to happen, or at least not any time in the future, the entire way DS works now and the direction it's heading, it will be next to impossible. So the whole bring back the sscenario server arguement is pretty much null and void.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-10 22:34   
Code changes to the FA/GA server would break the game (litraly). The game got rid of the resource system a while ago, meaning its not in the game anymore, turning it back on is not an option as its not there, so Faustus would have to step away from 1.483, and recode the resource system JUST for FA/GA, which remember guys, was never the way Faustus intended DarkSpace to be played. I would quiet honestly let it die, DarkSpace has moved on, and as such FA/GA is dead, you may well mourn it, but its GONE, it cannot come back to the way it was meant to without Faustus doint work to the code to allow some sort of flag on a server that allowed it to run the resource system.

Let
It
Go

Alien Mastermind
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-04-11 00:04   
R.I.P. dear FA/GA Scenario Server... I will miss you.

Email Alien Mastermind
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-04-11 00:49   
I won't lament its loss...

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
WinterRose
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-11 01:56   
I know. That's the point I'm making. O_o

Listen, I simply 'grew' up on the FA server. It was part of my most enjoyable DarkSpace experiences, following some large dread along into a huge battle in the middle of space.. Watching mine fields get set up to actually good effect.. Non modded ships against generally non-modded ships. That early-game rush to grab a planet and begin building it up..

While I really doubt such a think is ever returning, the MV is really nice, and I agree in the fact that it's better, save for the simple fact that the MV doesn't work as well for when I got to make, say, a quick exodus out to handle something in the real life (Yes, I got one.)

I'm not suggesting that anyone stop all they are doing, and work out on getting the FA server back in working order.. I'm looking forward to beta just as many other people, but I just look forward to the day that the FA server can be made to work in a workable manner one day in the future.

[ This Message was edited by: WinterRose on 2005-04-11 02:03 ]

Email WinterRose
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-11 02:47   
Quote:

On 2005-04-11 01:56, WinterRose wrote:
...but I just look forward to the day that the FA server can be made to work in a workable manner one day in the future.

But thats just it, it never will be. Thats the mission statement straight from Faustus. He wanted to kill it when the game went release, the whole plan for DS called for the dismanteling of the FA server at release. The game has grown and evolved and the FA server was a casualty of that evolution.

I've also talked with F about the server on multiple occasions and can honestly state, no further resources will be dedicated to bringing the FA server back in any form or function.

Email Tael
Hellza - master
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-11 07:05   
this is imo

but there is hardly anyone in mv or fa/ga
how many people that have not been on latley know that the severs where back up? you could of sent a email to everyone saying it was back up. cuase that could of helped alot

so no wonder hardly anyone played it.

remember this is imo not to flame.....

Email Hellza - master
CCM
Cadet

Posted: 2005-04-11 13:21   
It would be a simple matter to bypass the shipyard thing. Create a scenario map with SY and resources pre-built. Do the hour's work for them.
And I do think that a lot of the people who used to be on FA/GA are in half-hibernation here. Most probably don't even know that the FA/GA server was up. Heck, they'd have no clue save for this thread that it was ever up, if they check in after it's been taken down...

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-11 13:52   
Quote:

On 2005-04-11 13:21, CCM wrote:
It would be a simple matter to bypass the shipyard thing. Create a scenario map with SY and resources pre-built. Do the hour's work for them.
And I do think that a lot of the people who used to be on FA/GA are in half-hibernation here. Most probably don't even know that the FA/GA server was up. Heck, they'd have no clue save for this thread that it was ever up, if they check in after it's been taken down...

Well again I will point out that we've repeatedly stated its not that easy, and in fact we explained the problems with trying to do so in the thread the other poster deleted.

So suffice to say, the game engine no longer supports the resource system. Creating a map that has the resources already nulls the purpose of any other ships on the map and everyone will simply take out the dreads and just fight.

Since resources aren't wittled down then you have an endless supply and wont care about defending your planets...

Thus your proposal is fraught with more detrimental problems for the scenario server than it would fix.

FA is the way it is, and thus its dead. People can come in here and say what they want, but its your actions, which are completely contrary to what any of you say about the server, that have caused the demise of the server.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2005-04-11 14:30 ]

Email Tael
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-04-11 15:08   
I think you can safely close & lock this thread along with GA - its irritating just knowing people are actually debating this... rofl

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-11 15:23   
I dont know what people cant get...

Tael has said it three times alone in this thread, Faustus has said it a number of times, and Tael has again, stated that for him further more.

GA/FA is dead. Faustus doesnt want to use up a server to keep it running, its wasting bandwidth aswell. The major thing is, the game does not ALLOW the old resource system to come back into place, that would mean that all that Faustus has done for 1.481-2 has gone to waste.

I cant see why people cant understand this...its not rocket science...Its just four words. "It isnt coming back".

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-11 17:00   
you should put it in big bold print on the main page and add it to the RoC

THE FA/GA SERVER IS DEAD. GET THE FREAK OVER IT

-management

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob (x2 Pistolet Makarov) on 2005-04-11 17:01 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024600 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR