No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » UGTO:EAD
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author UGTO:EAD
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-20 23:24   
The UGTO EAD, as it is, is useless.

It has less weaponry than the battle dread, and most dreads compaired to it (excluding non battle/assault ships). A full on alpha from an EAD just now, onto an unmoded Missile Cruiser, did only TEN ARMOUR damage. Its a freaking EAD not a tickle my elmo. The EAD should be doing more damage than a mandy up close because of the CL's. But the CL's are useless, the std's are much better left out for cannons because of the range and damage, but it still does less than the BD because of the HCL's and less slots.

The QST sucks far too much power for it to of be any use in close combat, which is what the EAD is supposed to excel at, but I see myself sitting there, facing a kluth ship, firing all I can, and its already poped my front armour....and I havnt even done 80% armour damage yet, and yes, im firing ALL weapons, within roughly 80 GU, so the CL's 'SHOULD' be doing more damage the a ruptor, but it doesnt.

Is there some math bug or something, because im sure most ICC/UGTO would agree, that CL's seem somewhat...weaker, and do hardly any damage.

As it is, it stands like this.

Up close, the Battle Dread can do more damage.
At range, the Battle Dread can do more damage.

What is the EAD supposed to do now, cannons do more damage up close than a CL...or atleast seems like it. Because at point blank, a BD broadsiding a dread or any other ships completly obliterates the armour on a time scale compaired to the EAD (Our top of the line ship), and yes, I am using the ship properly, Its meant to be in first to deal the damage, but it cant do that damage, the enemy just deals more to you before you even get within proper CL range (if they arnt bugged that is).

The EAD needs a rethink in the layout. A few more weapons wouldnt go amiss, and maybe a CL tweak or two, but as it is. Its going to go from being the Top of the line UGTO ship, to one that nobody wants to fly, because you get a better one at a lower rank. The BD isnt uber, its on par with the other dreads of its class, but the EAD is simply not.

Please, please, please fix the EAD. Its my ship, I've used it for a long, long time. I've tried adapting, I've sat down and tried to think out new tactics that the ship can possibly DO. It just doesnt fit any role at the moment.

Making the HCL's a little more powerfull perhaps, and adding a few more to the EAD would fix it...but hey, this is beta right...better broken here than broken in release.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-04-20 23:27 ]

NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-20 23:28   
I agree. I think its useless as well for being a "EAD"

It needs more HCL's..

The BD does outmatch it in everything. Minus that QST that the EAD has, but its more of a finishing weapon... Since it doesnt do a huge amount of damage, and eats alllot of energy.

But the EAD does need something. It should be the 'strong' of the strong in Dreads. I'd say make it a total close range ship, as it should be.

The EAD right now, needs to be changed around.

[ This Message was edited by: NiteHawk on 2005-04-20 23:33 ]

Email NiteHawk
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-20 23:32   
I was raping an EAD in my modded heavy cruiser... simply cause It couldn't get through my shields

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-20 23:39   
I just tested the EAD vs. a BD, both close range face to face and kept alpha striking till dead, the EAD easily won...

The EAD was still at 68% hull when the BD was destroyed...

Both stock... So I dont see the problem...

Email Tael
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 01:16   
Mod them.

Stock the EAD is better. Of course it is.

I'll give you a run with the EAD if you like.

Email NiteHawk
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-21 02:02   
I'll try and do an audit on its slot classes tomarrow.

Slot classes determine the scale of weapondry. I toyed with the idea of tossing on either 2 more torps or 2 more heavy lasers.. but want to compare its slot classes to other ships in the same role.

Email Tael
Antdizzle

Posted: 2005-04-21 02:51   
EAD does have a lot of armor. I had a mandible fight it and I only got it down to 90 hull before I died. In that same mandible I got a colony down to 30 hull, so why does it have so much?

NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 09:26   
The idea of two more heavys would be good.

The EAD has the same as the BD doesn't not (or less?)

A station cannot support itself alone. When you can fire at 800 or even farther for example. How is the Colony supposed to hit a moving ship?

It's not. It need's help.

You can take out multiple stations if you know what your doing.

That means not making a laser boat.

Email NiteHawk
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-04-21 10:17   
Im talking both moded tael, I toyed with settings so that each ship would be utterly damaged based.

The EAD did more damage using cannons instead of the std CL's at close range, and the HCL's didnt seem to be that powerfull compaired to the ARuptor (at close range). Its meant to be able to wreak havoc at close range...easily take off armour on a dessy and what not, it cant even knock off 11% on a missile cruiser.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-04-21 11:13   
I'll admit, I haven't played beta in a bit over a month, but it's likely much hasn't changed regarding slot placement, so I offer this:

Why is the EAD and the AD a bane in the MV currently? Nearly ALL of their weapons are full mounted. At any point, they can bring ALL of their armaments to bear on their target, and THAT is the reason they are so powerful.

Now, with these new rediculous alignments, the Assault Ships (all of them, not just the big dreads) have been neutered. They have to turn from their enemies path, or spin in a direction that isnt conducive to assaulting. I realize this version was moving away from full mounts, but that just makes less weapons to able to fire at once.

Less weapons + more armor = Longer fights.

Ok, we have that.

But this is rediculous. I nearly killed two EADs with a Combat Dread last time I played Beta.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 11:38   
Good god! Not the combat dread!

Not a very good complaint Bito; everyone knows the Combat dread is perhaps the most fierce and feared ship in the game!

Email Shigernafy
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-21 12:22   
if this whole thing is based solely off the stand point the projectiles do more damage than the beams then this whole thread is void...

Thats on purpose... Projectiles do a lot of damage but are limited by ammo. There have been many fights where I have had to retreat from the lines not because I was close to being destroyed, but because I ran out of ammo.

The beam weapons have the bonus's of when in range they cant be dodged, and do not require ammo.

Projectiles have longer ranges, but are easily avoided at medium range...

Each devices slot type is give a rating. The BD has 33 weapon slots, the EAD has 31 Weapon slots, the Core weapon counts as 5 slots, so actually the EAD has a weight of 35 weapons slots, more so than BD.

Also ships are not ment to operate alone, stock or otherwise.

Email Tael
NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-04-21 16:02   
The BD doesn't use much ammo.. 6 torps yes.. So I'm not complaining that since the EAD doesn't use ammo weapons then it isn't a strong ship. It is a strong ship yes, but the BD still beats it.

It may be a 'assault' ship, but I'd pick the BD over the EAD anyday right now in beta.

I'd like to show you what I mean sometime. I guess displaying it will help. You pick your choice of EAD, and I'll pick my BD.. *Mod at will*

I still think the EAD should be a stronger offensive craft. I would say sacrifice two SCL's for two HCL's maybe? But I'm not positive how it will all go.

But why pick the EAD when you can mod a BD with 22 SCL's and 6 torp bays. Sure the EAD might have those HCL's.. But in the end I see that the BD can dish it out more in long and close range combat.

Email NiteHawk
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-04-21 21:07   
Sorry to say im going to have to agree. Just got done modding the EAD out, and tested it with both CL Weapons and regular Cannons. Either way, the EAD got pwned by a Siphon when it had CL Weapons, and now again it got destroyed without effort by a Manadible.

So im going to have to agree, the Battle Dread right now is better than the EAD, even though itll take time, the EAD needs to be fixed.

Email UnknownWarrior
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-04-22 01:34   
I'm really thinking a lot of the issues are people having trouble adapting their tactics to the new ship layouts...

I just ran the numbers and all the ships balance out...

The BD has 32 slot points to the EAD's 27.

The Super weapons have the same damage to power ration of 6 mounts, so 32/32...

In fact, noone has complained about the ICC 410, it has 25 slot points compared to the 400's 32. The ICC super weapon also factors in at about 4 1/2 mount points, so it the 410 has 28.5/32 slot points...

The 410 has:
6 Standard Launchers
10 Standard Mounts
4 Heavy Mounts
1 Core Mount
2 Bays

The EAD has:
6 Standard Launchers
10 Standard Mounts
5 Heavy Mounts
1 Core Mount
2 Bays

So the EAD out guns the 410.

The BD has:
5 Standard Launchers
21 Standard Mounts
1 Hvy Mount
4 Bays

Not counting Fighter bays,

The EAD has 20 out of 25 weapons able to fire foreward.
The BD has 19 out of of 28 weapons able to fire foreward.

Not this doesnt take into consideration the additional power of the QST which in effect boosts the rating to 23 out of 25 mount factors to the foreward arc

The BD still limited to 19.

So by the numbers the EAD can deliver more raw damage to the forward arc.

One thing I have to consider is how people are flying the EAD, if the are just mashing the space bar, then they are going to run low on power by firing the QST when its not effective, or when they are within its damage range thus causing a great deal of the damage they are taking themselves...

The Core weapons are all ment to be a stand off weapon, you fire it into the approaching fleet of ships or a ship to cause damage to it before engaging in close.

Dreads can take several core hits, but lesser ships are decimated by them...

The 410 actually has the fewest slots for any heavy dread yet noone has complained about it...

I looked over its model and noted it has 9 armor and shield points to the ead's 8 armor. Though the ead has 1 extra heavy laser... I'm running an experiment for the stress test where I have given the EAD an extra full slot level 8 armor...

Stock the EAD has less armor than a BD, trade off for the heavier weapons it carriers, but when modded out it will now have a 12.5 % higher armor rating advantage.

This keeps the stock EAD in balance, and allows it to become more of a beast as its upgraded.

Also considering doubling the pres loss for resources lost, loosing a ship, especially a big one should hurt.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2005-04-22 01:36 ]

Email Tael
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023405 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR