No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » lets get an new rank
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author lets get an new rank
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-13 15:23   
coldfury.....that is actually quite a good idea.......

Piotr-san
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2005-05-16 20:20   
I dont mind reseting ranks as i see there are many frustrated lower ranked players out there whinning for it using amature insults.Go ahead im all for it.

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-16 21:49   
Then as soon as a new breed of high ranked players come out, lets just reset it again.....How about we not start something that is ultimately going to make some very mad??

[ This Message was edited by: Anonymous on 2005-05-16 22:30 ]

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-21 02:08   
while we r at the rank discussion
i think that the ead should be admiral not fa

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-21 03:16   
Its staying at FA as are all faction flag ships/assault class dreads.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-05-21 03:16 ]

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-05-21 06:18   
Quote:

On 2005-05-21 03:16, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Its staying at FA as are all faction flag ships/assault class dreads.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-05-21 03:16 ]

It wasn't so long ago that players were promised that the introduction of the Grand Admiral rank would not effect ship requirements! Didn't last long did it.

What next? Another new rank and another moving of the goal posts to follow?

Already players that started 3 years ago had a distinctly easier time of it than new players today. DS was called Dreadspace quite quickly after release and, over the years, tweaks have been made to the game system to make it harder and harder to gain rank (many features and/or factions have been nerfed in different ways), thus creating a widening gap between low ranks and high ranks. Soon, all the veterans may be flying EAD's whilst all the new players would have to play for 5 years just to catch them, which they couldn't do anyway because they'd be farmed.

The current system of fixed ranking can only work fairly if nothing ever changes in the game for it's life-time, otherwise feature-creep leads to rank-creep, which eventually leads to an untoucable elite of veteran players.

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-21 07:08   
i agree now i have to wait twice as long to get an ead
im 4000 away from admiral
now i need to get 24000 pres to get it
not good

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-21 07:59   
Quote:

On 2005-05-05 11:57, tagar wrote:
reset does seem fair, new requirements take ships away from mid ranks, why are high ranks untouchable?

screw that , i'm a casualy gamer like beast too. i got 2 years invested for my rank. if u want ur reset be my guest but leave mine be.

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-21 12:36   
I'm with Smith on the reset thing. I'm almost to the 2 year mark myself and just barely made Vice Admiral. I'm very happy with my rank (though the beta kinda ruins it by taking away all my good ships) and would hate to see it reset...if it took me two years to get here what makes you think I want to give it up? If you took a poll of those willing to reset their ranks I think you'd get about half of the really high level (admiral and above) people and almost all the low (under commander) level people, but everyone from captain to VA would probably get very angry...I'm all for a slow loss of prestige (representing the fact that if no one hears anything about someone their memory of them is gonna fade). Prestige should be loseable at a slow rate, say 1 per day for midship and more like 1000 per day for GA...maybe you could freeze this by unsubbing...I don't know, someone else work it out. I'm all for a minor prestige loss but I'm against rank resets...I've worked hard to get here, don't make me hate this game by saying my vote is less important because I didn't work hard enough...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-05-21 13:58   
Why is it that every discussion of changing the prestige system degrades into 'don't reset MY rank!' type arguments. I blame Antidizzle.
Rank doesn't need to be reset, all it wants is for prestige to be treated differently.

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-22 01:54   
all i want is to be able to get the ead when i finally get admiral because ive been working towards that as my primary goal in ds
if that goal moves away to more than double the distnace im probably not gona play anymore

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-22 11:16   
Your thinking too much in terms of "OMG EAD ITS MINE CUZ ITs BESTSTESTESTT!!!"....I see it every day when someone ranks up to admiral or so, and thinks they are the bee's knee's with the EAD...

You may be losing a ship or two, but the ships that you still have are AMAZING. Just work harder, this game is FAR too easy, back before 1.481, it was harder to gain prestige, as bombing was a lot, lot harder. So coldfury, I dont know where your coming from, 1.481 has been the easiest prestige getting version of the game ever. It may have been promised with 1.481, and the addition of the rank GA, but this is totaly different. 1.483 is changing ALL the ships, and the ships are having a total refit. That means the ranks need to be jolted around. Your not thinking logicaly atall. All you want is your shiney EAD, imho, all the flag ships should never have been VA/AD (siphon is VA), and been stuck at fleet admiral. You need skill to fly those ships now, its not like 1.482 where you can just mash spacebar (like I see so many people doing with the EAD).

A rank reset is NEVER going to happen, stated by Faustus, Tael and the other admins COUNTLESS amount of times over the past of darkspace, a reset will never, ever happen.

Whining about losing a ship was always going to happen, but get over it, get some prestige if you really want the EAD, work for FA before the patch, it isnt that hard if your good.

Philll, you've only played 158 games, thats hardly anything for an account of 2 years. If you think the developers are going to make it so you can get an EAD with 158, think again. What you are asking is silly. You need to play more as with ANY other MMO to rank up.

[ This Message was edited by: Kratos on 2005-05-22 11:18 ]

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-05-23 12:26   
Quote:

On 2005-05-22 11:16, Kratos wrote:
Your thinking too much in terms of "OMG EAD ITS MINE CUZ ITs BESTSTESTESTT!!!"....

Thanks for completely missing my point Backslash. Although others may be concerned that they will lose the EAD, I am not. I've been there, done that.

What I'm more concerned about is the slippery slope that Ragglock's request for a new rank, combined with moving the goal posts (which the EAD is a perfect example of) creates. It's a dangerous precedent to set. But, I'd imagine Faustus understands that.

You may think it's only a minor loss, but the EAD/AD/Gang are, once mastered, efficient prestige earners. They are, at present, one of the crucial elements used for making the leap from Adm to FA. It's a benefit that you and all the other Vets had, but now will be denied to the new players.

That's a permanent disadvantage right there and quite a big one.

Quote:

back before 1.481, it was harder to gain prestige, as bombing was a lot, lot harder.

I agree bombing it far too easy atm, and it only illustrates my point. It's feature-creep hard at work.

Frankly, the hypocrisy of what you are saying is creasing me up.
Quote:

this game is FAR too easy...
Philll, you've only played 158 games, thats hardly anything for an account of 2 years. If you think the developers are going to make it so you can get an EAD with 158, think again. What you are asking is silly. You need to play more as with ANY other MMO to rank up.

All benefits that YOU enjoyed and you deny new players the benefit yet keep them for your self.

Quote:

Your not thinking logicaly atall. All you want is your shiney EAD, imho, all the flag ships should never have been VA/AD (siphon is VA), and been stuck at fleet admiral

So your saying that FA should have brought all the dreads and the station? You haven't factored in the addition of GA to that argument.

Anyways, I'm not going to push the issue anymore. I'll just ask, how long do you honestly think it'll be before the majority of Vets are pushing the 2XGA mark? Since the Vets are the ones with the most sway in the community, it's easy to see a repeat of this episode happening again. This topic reminds me of capitalism in a way. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, all because the rich have all the power.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-23 18:14   
Im afriad it is you who are not getting it.

I did not have the luxury of having an EAD at 158 games. I had to work a lot harder, several times before 1.480 and during it. I dont see what benifit I had...I've made FA several times, and each time it was a hill to climb, appart from this time, which was more of a cake walk really...I fail to see the benifit I had...its just like everyone else, EVERYONE is gaining/losing a ship. So those 'new' players are having benefits over the real new players (noobs).

Your also missing the point in beta. Dreads now do an INSANE amount of damage. The Battle Dread which you get at an earlier rank, is probably more damaging than the EAD over long range. You are not thinking clearly atall, they may be loosing a ship or two, but the effectivness of the ships they can fly, is increasing a lot.

I also never said that FA should bring ALL the dreads, only the flag ship dreads of each faction.

Either way you look at it, the prestige gain/time is going to slow down, and im GLAD it is, if its one thing I HATE, its watching new players fly around in stations and EAD's, who I KNOW havnt worked near as hard as me and the other players around my skill area.

The reason the vets can 'sway' the development team, is because the 'vets' actualy have a good idea of how darkspace is supposed to run, and how it works. Granted, some idea's arnt perfect, and some are awfull...but, Ragg's a vet, you dont see Faustus or Tael jumping on this thread saying "YES!". Every players suggestions are taking into account.

Also, I cant see how the poor are getting poorer, as you put it. Scouts and Frigates are no longer one alpha kills, so technicaly. They are getting richer....if im using your way of speaking...

People really need to start looking at beta as a whole, and not tiny sections, like the ranking, when the ships you have already got, wll be changed to make them far better.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.017726 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR