No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Pirate Carrier
 Author Pirate Carrier
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-30 16:16   
I got bored, what can I say? Its a modified Pirate Cargo Hauler, designed specifically for fielding the Pirate Fighter.

Based on Pirate Cargo Hauler
2 Cargo Slots
2x IE Drives
3x Pirate Fighter Bays (1 on each cargo bin)
3x Railgun
1x Chemical Laser
3x Ablative Armor
1x Reactive Shield

NOTE: Generally, the Pirate cargo hauler and Pirate Carrier are the same ships statistic-wize, the only difference is that the Carrier sacrifices 8 out of the 10 cargo units on the Hauler in exchange for 3 Pirate Fighter Bays.

Pirate Fighter - Unlike the rest of the pirate ships, it takes a rather blocky look on a black hull, with the usual red color scheme. The blocky look is highly suggestive of the deployment methods. When the ship is not in use, it is folded up to give it the ability to store in tight spaces.

It is basically a hybrid of Anti-fighter and Anti-ship, designed specifically to assist pirate Corvettes and Raiders, especially against the occasional ICC/UGTO Fighter Squadron patrol or pesky freighter. It is a very popular yet extremely expensive design. It is also not manufactured in huge numbers like the ICC, UGTO, and Kluth fighters. However, their general statistics are only average. However, their compact nature can make them very useful for ships with low fighter capacity, such as the Pirate Hauler.

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2005-05-30 21:51 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-30 18:36   
Pirates arnt meant to field anything bigger than a dessy, and the way that outfitted ship looks...its meant to be a cruiser or dessy....

A carrier on transport hull...just doesnt seem right.

[ This Message was edited by: Kratos on 2005-05-30 18:50 ]

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-30 18:53   
The point of your post is, Kratos? This ship is based on a Pirate ship already in-game.

PS: Backslash, if that was a Cruiser... it would be laughed at from every corner in space. Its the same thing as the current PIRATE Cargo Hauler (the ONLY Difference is that I Removed 8 cargo slots for 3 Fighters), and if you ever FLOWN Cargo hauler you would know that its a very fair tradeoff.

And please, dont talk about a subject unless you know something about it. Or at least apply a little common sense to it.

* [-GTN-]Kratos @74393 Sent "Pirates will ONLY be flying in combat frigates and destroyers"
* [-GTN-]Kratos @74393 Sent "they wont be protecting ANYTHING"
* [-GTN-]Kratos @74393 Sent "they dont care if they die"

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2005-05-30 19:03 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-30 19:05   
Pirates arnt really meant to be the type to wield fighters. More aggressive, cannon and beam type ships. Hence why they have no support ships that are known of yet.

Most probably, i'd imagine tael would want to keep them as a sneaky type of frigate + dessy only faction, who use powerful small ships to confuse and kill/capture the enemy.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-30 19:30   
Are you saying Transport is not a support ship?

Current Pirate Ships in Beta:
Heavy Cargo Hauler - Transport
Raider - Frigate
???? (Dont know name) - Corvette

Quote:

Pirates arnt really meant to be the type to wield fighters. More aggressive, cannon and beam type ships. Hence why they have no support ships that are known of yet.

Fighters are aggressive weapons. They shoot down enemy fighters, they attack ships.

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2005-05-30 19:35 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-05-31 11:49   
Think you'll find the hauler is UNKNOWN ... not a faction ship.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-05-31 14:24   
Actually I looked over the idea by Red and have been considering it... The Hauler is ment to replace AI transports in the game. As such, its only natural the Pirates would have usurped a few of them.

Thats why there is one with that fleet. If you look at it, its actually the size of a destroyer with the mass of a dread, so very slow to get up to speed and takes longer to slow down. But the spinal collum where the cargo pods attach is the weak point of the vessel (hence though its destroyer size, its only Transport hull strong) ~ Dont ya love it when we work in some sort of realistic reasoning...

Pirates will get some small 1 man craft, but not as strong as other factions fighters since their main objective is to capture or damage a ship and its cargo. In fact the visuals for the fighter are done, but the weapons still need adjusting.

So the idea of using the Hauler frame but beefing up the spine with scrap metal and armor and welding together a couple of containers as a make shift hanger bay would make a plausable carrier with 2 or 3 fighter bays. Bring the armor and hull up to a destroyer grade. And also speed up the process of getting the ship closed out.

As for the other gadgets and weapons, i'm not sure, but I will probably go ahead and make updates to the models this week for this carrier.

I still need to do the base destroyer model for them to close out their fleet and atleast one other transport design.

Email Tael
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-05-31 15:33   
The fighters I envision are more designed to protect Raiders/Corvettes from the occaisonal planetary fighter squadron, and maybe even assist them against the occasional faction frigate. But more then that they are designed that you can fit a lot in a very small space (Basically, more ammo than the standard bay). Which is why they look kind of blocky, since they can be folded into an easily stackable, space-efficient block for storage.

Your right in that they dont match Faction fighters in a 1 vs 1 fight. Faction fighters, while probably using cheaper, more mass-produced equipment, is specifically designed for fighting other strike craft (Fighters, bombers, etc.), and does not have space limitations to contend with.

An interesting purpose for this fighter is to give Pirates something they get initially to trade for, allowing them to participate in the rather lucrative black market.

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2005-05-31 15:34 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-06-02 11:36   
Who says no-one listens to you Red...

Pirate Carrier:-

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2005-06-02 11:37 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-02 22:37   
Seen the fighter. I could not tell if it was a normal-sized fighter with tiny wings, or a huge fighter with normal wings. Even than, it seems kind of out of proportion. Looks more like a NASA Rocket than a fighter. Great for transport shuttles, I suppose.

Code-wize, I found it wierd that they stop firing after a little, and than they explode for no reason at all, probably ran out of fuel. They did not pose much of a threat at all, unlike the swarms of planet-launched fighters.

To be honest I was thinking more of an ICC-ish fighter in terms of wing-type and proportions. The wings somewhat squareish as they fold in on themselves and eventually against the hull itself. As for the fighters name, Squid, Donno why but it sounds like a Kluth fighter name.

Just a comment.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-02 22:53   
Story line support is that the wings fold up for storage since they are trying to store multiple of them on a destroyer size hull..

They get the name squid from their fuselage... If you look at one from the top or bottom you will see why.

Email Tael
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-03 05:34   
Havent had much the opportunity, I never actually piloted a pirate carrier.

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-03 22:26   
They don't seem to fire their cannons either.

Email Bobamelius
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-04 00:49   
That's pretty crafty of them, isn't it?

Email Shigernafy
Page created in 0.017078 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR