No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Pissed Off
 Author Pissed Off
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 00:03   
The lag has recently rocketed. I'm now constantly lagged, and only rarely not (no joke). I get lag every time I try to jump. I'm not talking about no pathetic 5s command lag, I'm talking a full couple minutes no response waiting what the hell is going to happen next. At best I jump and 10s after arriving (which is lag all the way) I get about 10-15s of control, then it goes back to almost constant lag. The game is simply unplayable. I've lost a station, 7 dreads, 14 cruisers, 3 dessy and a bunch of transports just in the last two days (those are the LAG deaths), and normally I very rarely lose anything other than bombers/tranny. I spent a full 5 minutes trying to make a wh in my station before I died, just had absolutely no control. Half the time when I pull out a station, I get sy bug then when I get back in I lag... couple of times I was actually able to wh back to the planet I was that far away...

When I've been bombing, I don't actually know where my ship is, I have to guess when to turn (surprisingly successful).

However, I'm not going crazy. I've noticed that unlike normal lag, the chat doesn't lag, and I can move and shoot/jump while lagged, only I don't see any of it. This is lag that mostly other people haven't been getting. There's a difference between mine and when everyone gets the lag, namely chat lag and everyone screaming "omg lag".

Tried a clean reinstall, nothing. Connection settings do nothing, never have either. It's certainly not my internet connection, 1.5Mbps ADSL.

Pretty Pissed. There's just no way, if I can't find a solution and it keeps up I'm off.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-06 00:05   
Run a few tracerts to www.darkspace.net. If you find a hop thats gota higher latency than the others, I suggest phoning your ISP to inform them of the problem.

Hellaciouss
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 00:29   
How do you preform a tracert again?

Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 00:53   
If using XP, go start, click run, type in cmd. Then at the command prompt type in tracert http://www.darkspace.net.

If using 9x, command prompt is either in programs or accessories.

Yeah I've tried that Jack. One thought was possibly due to location, there are few australians playing and one or two have reported similar lag at times. Aussies can get the short end of the stick, however this doesn't seem completely connection based. Outbound communication to ds seems fine (mostly, except when everyone is getting the lag), but inbound is lagging like all hell.

It's not viruses or trojans, they would not clog it in that way. Not my modem, it would not be restricted to DS. It's either client or server errors. There's either something really odd happening on the route, or considering most of my lag is just myself, client issues.

[ This Message was edited by: Lonectzn on 2005-06-06 00:55 ]

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-06 01:04   
Didn't you just hear him say his chat doesn't lag? SO a trace wouldn't show anything, except routers that don't forward such requests.

Don't press Ctrl W!

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 02:01   
I hate it when my girlfriend walks by me and (me being the idiot who lays the cable across the living room floor) trips on it and rips it right out of my modem...women

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-06 02:18   
You could try doing a traceroute to cygnus.palestar.com, since that's where the MV server is hosted.

... though, just doing it now, its only one IP number off (x.x.x.13 vs .12), and the results are pretty much the same, so maybe it doesn't matter after all.

[ This Message was edited by: Mithrandir on 2005-06-06 02:23 ]

Email Mithrandir
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 06:42   
as the servers are at the same location and it is no US routing problem, it will not make a difference

Btw
Are you maybe using a WLAN? I'm having lagg because of my WLAN. (2 APs connected via WDS)
And as soon as they loose a packet the whole system goes crazy with the link lights blinking for a minute....

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-06 10:04   
Quote:

On 2005-06-06 02:01, JRE wrote:
I hate it when my girlfriend walks by me and (me being the idiot who lays the cable across the living room floor) trips on it and rips it right out of my modem...women

i did that too, then i strung it across the living room on a couple hooks that otherwise might have been used for hanging lights or something silly like that

Atom$k {PK}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-06 11:27   
Quote:

On 2005-06-06 02:01, JRE wrote:

Lmao. So, who sleeps on the couch now?

Once a Pirate, always -$|P-

Email Atom$k {PK}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-06 15:36   
Sometimes packets get dropped from that far across the atlantic lone. Especialy from Astralia. When I try playing counter strike on Australian servers, I get packet loss of 50% and upwards, with pings of 500+. You will lag more than others, but the problem being, when there is a slight lag, you will see it as a more 'serious' lag because it takes longer for your connection to update than it does for us (400-500 odd ping compaired to the UK's 150 and US's 40 or less).

Icefox
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-07 01:48   
Somehow I doubt its simply lag from being in Aus... if he's flying Dreadnaughts, he's played for awhile, and if he's never seen lag like this before.. well.. something new and particularly screwy must be up.

Sorry I can't be of assistance here. Wish I could help. Hope you can fix the issue. I really don't blame you for leaving if lag is that bad - unplayable is unplayable afterall. Hopefully it can be fixed and you'll stay with us, though. ^_^

Page created in 0.020385 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR