No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +5.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Report: Apple Switching to Intel Chips
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Report: Apple Switching to Intel Chips
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-16 02:17   
It would of been the RAM, since the system can use more of the RAM you have. Having 1.5 Gig isnt going to increase performance hugely because the system already has enough RAM for what you wanted to do. You would only see huge improvements in games that loaded huge textures (say 2048x2048), but since only the Source engine can do that atm (and it is capable, it doesnt actualy have any that size), you wont be stressing your machine too much.

Intel machines generaly rely on raw clock speed to do anything, now that AMD have hit the 4ghz+ barrier (coming to the 5+ now (I know its estimated, but its still equivilant) Intel will find that their raw clocks speed generates a lot more heat than the AMD chips now. Because of this, Intel are having problems clocking past 4ghz without seeing the chips life half...or even worse.

Its now that AMD really shine, since they dont need to update their architecture to increase the speed, they just do a little tweaking, increase the clockspeed some...voila....faster chip.

The big point though, is that AMD got their 64bit chip out before Intel, and it is proving to be HUGELY popular, with big computer retailers going over to AMD because of the cost/performance.

Having said that, I cant wait to see what Intel pull out of the bag to try and beat AMD, and since Apple will be using the Intel chips, it will also be interesting to see what problems or successes the chip has.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-16 02:57   
all games run smooth on my comp...

and all games (of the time) ran smooth on my other comp after switching to intel.

i was talking about two different computers there, sorry i was just typing to fast to explain properly.

running programs like Maya or 3DS Max and rendering out huge frames, can be very trying on a computer. who ever does this kind of stuff for darkspace knows what i mean. just booting up one of those programs would make an older comp weep.

however you do bring up a great many points. if programs like maya supported 64 bit processors and the like, and i had the cash, i would definitly give AMD another try

besides, who can resist the new yoda/amd posters!! haha

Email Meko
JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-16 03:11   
My AMD Athlon xp-m 3000+ laptop Runs alot better than my 2.8 gig p4 desktop. The new comp I get in a week will most definatly be AMD.

ps does kinda burn my leg a bit though..must be the power...

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-16 04:05   
Quote:
On 2005-06-16 02:57, Meko wrote:
all games run smooth on my comp...

and all games (of the time) ran smooth on my other comp after switching to intel.

i was talking about two different computers there, sorry i was just typing to fast to explain properly.

running programs like Maya or 3DS Max and rendering out huge frames, can be very trying on a computer. who ever does this kind of stuff for darkspace knows what i mean. just booting up one of those programs would make an older comp weep.

however you do bring up a great many points. if programs like maya supported 64 bit processors and the like, and i had the cash, i would definitly give AMD another try

besides, who can resist the new yoda/amd posters!! haha

The old K6/K7 processors has really bad overheating problems, and Im not sure of performsance. Those were the contestors for the p1 and p2s. (From what I understand despite the REALLY BAD overheating problems the k7 could outperform pentium 3s.)

but what I know from experience is that the thunderbird series on have been really great processors, giving intel more thana run for their money.

Not to mention recently in Japan intel was found guilty of illegal market practices. AMD is pushing it int eh EU and if it passes there they will try it in the USA. Intel is going down.

When I find the article showing how an increase from 128-512 will give you significant performance boosts I will post it.

[ This Message was edited by: LordShard on 2005-06-16 04:09 ]

Don't press Ctrl W!

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-16 04:14   
right on, im happy to hear anything. i try not to be biased (cept for macs)

hey another little site i want you to check out. this kinda has me scared for the future of computers and... the world.

not to be ominus or anything, but have a read.

http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml

jack, tael, shig, have a gander at this one for me!

Email Meko
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-16 05:31   

This is a normal memory usage for me when i'm not playing games. This is somewhere between 240-260MB of things active in ram. THe same is similar in older OSes also because HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway ect tend to pile on crapware, so even though I am using 256MB of ram for apps, you would start out with 256MB of ram being used from bootup for something you probbaly won't use. Making the real minumum MB of ram you need somewhere around 512.

So of course upgrading your ram was a HUGE improvement.
It is like on my old P1 when I upgraded from 32MB of super leet EDO ram to 128MB of ram. (Edo ram WAS super leet back then. Sure a hell of allot better than fast page mode D: )

Don't press Ctrl W!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.013945 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR