No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » I know what DS needs now
 Author I know what DS needs now
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-12 19:41   
A huge eprcentage of every MMO is botters and the like. Although illegal they are ussually welcomed by th ecompany as they add real world revenue to the game. DS needs a system where money is actually worth something and there are super rare items and the like, so DS can get a huge spike in revenue, even if the players don't like the botter.

I think DS needs this because it would probably quadruple how much money DS brings in.

Lineage 2 revenue botters and ebayers account for 80%!!!!
Those numbers are similar accross all games like that.
Think about it, the revenue DS brings in now only being 20% of what it could be?

Don't press Ctrl W!

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-12 19:43   
So what, if I pay enough money, I can have a station or an EAD without having the rank?

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-12 19:48   
Just because it works for another game, doesnt necessarily mean it will work for Darkspace. Although its an idea worth looking into.

Goto the website of Novacat
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-12 19:54   
All they need to do to start making money is just fix the current version...so they don't lose their playerbase by the time beta releases...

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-13 00:41   
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 19:54, _x$witchBladex_ {Old School Bomber} wrote:
All they need to do to start making money is just fix the current version...so they don't lose their playerbase by the time beta releases...

~Switch

True they need something NOW but considering DS has 0 botters or ebayers to inflate the DS pockets it wil take allot longer to get thing done.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-06-13 01:22   
I agree with the Rare Items.. and adding a higher value to currency, but as for Botters... I dont think it would take off as your thinking. People would want to exploit prestige, and not rare items. I can see people setting up dummy accts already to pad their kill ratios, but as for boosting the economy i doubt it would. Darkspace is a game where people gain rank and prestige .. as you well know... and in Games like WoW(world of warcraft) where a player has a Million things to buy is a place already dealing with the downfalls of bottters destroying the Economy by flooding the markets with bots that farm currency.

The answer to getting more people to play is to better control the players instant gratification. when a player has to salivate too long for the pay off in a game the game then loses its hold. Everytime someone lag crashes there ship, lags into a sun and is fluxed. That Delays that players gratification for A good fight, not to mention pissing them off. So that player is going to leave and not bother to log in. When you consider games like massivly multiplayer online role playing games you need to look at how long it takes till the player gets their next fix of instant gratification. And by instant gratification i mean, when they are rewarded for their participation in the game. As one goes through these games it takes longer to get your reward. Just like in DS.. where you rank only after doubling your prestige.

DS Needs to focus on what works, Which is too bad that the fast paced action of FA server couldnt be merged into the MV. FA was always great for a quick stop in for a few, gain some prestige and then pop out. The MV is alot more organization, bcus the stakes are higher.. everyone is in modded ships, the planets are all Hardend. Not to mention that nowadays the MV map is bigger, and you have fewer people to work with, and most of which are either Very green to MV combat or are only in it to get their prestige up as quick as possible. In FA there was a purpose, and a Drive, not to mention that your team could find itself without resources or bigger ships if they didnt work together. In The MV there is a alot more forgiveness for people without the big picture view.

- Charz

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-13 01:41   
er...

[ This Message was edited by: Crimson on 2005-06-13 02:19 ]

Thorium
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-13 02:45   
bots are the devil... i make it a point to try and kill them every chnce i get in any game i play...

kicking back playing a game and BAM!! spam floods the screen...
"why bother takeing the time to get to know the game and find items of worth when you can visit my sight for a listing of game items avalable" "delivery garantyed in 24h" (or worse yet the spam includes an exstenceive list of items avalible)...

in many games i find that once you obtane an item you can duplicate it as times as you want, costing the seller nothing out of pocket to maintain their inventory... yet they still charge as if this "rare" item was hard to come by...

bots 4TL

Zeritu
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2005-06-13 03:05   
Shard Try Subbing your account That would bring in Lost of Money for DS.

Goto the website of Zeritu
LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-13 05:16   
Quote:

On 2005-06-13 02:45, Thorium wrote:
bots are the devil... i make it a point to try and kill them every chnce i get in any game i play...

kicking back playing a game and BAM!! spam floods the screen...
"why bother takeing the time to get to know the game and find items of worth when you can visit my sight for a listing of game items avalable" "delivery garantyed in 24h" (or worse yet the spam includes an exstenceive list of items avalible)...

in many games i find that once you obtane an item you can duplicate it as times as you want, costing the seller nothing out of pocket to maintain their inventory... yet they still charge as if this "rare" item was hard to come by...

bots 4TL

You play Diablo too much. Bad netcode

Don't press Ctrl W!

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-13 09:49   
Quote:

4. botter
A MMO player who uses a bot program to play the game automatically. Some people use bots to farm game money then sell on ebay or IGE. Often the only intelligent player of a game. No life skills are gained by clicking monsters after all.

Quote:
Monster/AI Transport Farming

Description: Individual or team-camping of a monster spawn point to gain combat prestige/repair prestige. Also, the premeditated setup and killing of AI transports in the MetaVerse. This includes the use of AI transports for anything other than trade routes.

Why Its an Exploit: Individual(s) or a group of players working together to gain prestige, by killing monsters and repairing ships, while staying at or near a monster spawn point is certainly not the way DarkSpace is meant to be played, and certainly could not be excused as hunting.

Elaboration: If the team is going to the monsters (IE, moving around) instead of letting the monster come to them, then it cannot be considered exploitation. Also, if you just kill a few at a time on your way to someplace else, its fine! This is an exploit where EXTENDED practice is forbidden.
Also, setting up planets in a system with multiple starports is illegal. Transports are only used for transporting goods between planets, and they should not be created in large amounts so that others can destroy them for easy points, nor should they be used as a way to defend your planets against bombing.

Quote:

Macroing / Automation

Description: ANY form of programmed or automated manipulation of DarkSpace code to allow users to gain prestige without being present at their computer.

Why Its an Exploit: Its all in the description.

[edit] (i also liked this definition)
Quote:

2. Botter
Someone who doesn't stop going on about one thing constantly

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2005-06-13 09:50 ]

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-13 16:03   
If it's a real person it's farming. It is isn't it's botting.

All MMOGs have rules against botters but they allow them because they are 80% of their real life revenue each month.

Sure botters suck, but if you cater to them A LITTLE BIT, get newwer servers, more servers, and a larger DS coding crew to give up faster updates.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Page created in 0.020511 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR