Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » A little help...
 Author A little help...
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-24 14:08   
I (for once) need a little hardware/software help.

My mouse (a high powered one) is connected to a USB port, this USB port 50% of the time decides to disable whilst im in a game (or high-cpu usage program). I have checked the BIOS for power-saving entries, and there are none, I have also reinstalled my USB2 drivers just incase and disabled the power saving option in the device manager, all to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if anyone knows of a MS fix, as I dont really want to go out and spend £30 on a powered USB hub (that might not even work).

In adition, I can plug my mouse into another USB port and it works, but since the drivers are hooked to that USB port thats now disabled, I cant use the 4 extra buttons (just left right and middle).

Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-24 14:32   
I seldom have USB problems like this, but i think it could have something to do with, either the USB port being damaged in some way, or full of rubbish, or then its simply not compatable for the mouse.. i kept having hug delay problems with my older comps, sometimes just a short delay, sometimes it just refused to respond..

Try checking if the small attachment sticks, or whatever you call them in english, are properly in place in the cables/port slot thingy and not bent or anything, but well, if this was the case, i think it wouldnt work at all, but its a slight possiblity, greatly depending on computer model et cetera...

but that disabling also rings me a bell that there might be something wrong with drivers-- not too sure, i dont usually need to fix USB related stuff anywhere, thus i cant remember all the stuff related to it..

try phoning tech support??

/me staggers to bed somehow..

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-24 14:44   
Ringing costs far too much from the UK, so im not going too. Its not the motherboard imo, otherthings work fine in the other USB port, its just whatever port the mouse is attatched too...im thinking a power hogging problem, but I want to fix it without buying a powered hub.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 15:18   
ive had that problem with my logitech Opticle USB mouse + Windows XP.

Solve for it? i didnt solve it yet, i just bought a new comp because it was time to anyway.

I found away to skip it thoe instead of restarting if you have to. Ive noticed Plugging it back in didnt help when i had the problem, i just pressed the Sleep button on my keyboard, and pressed the power button. My applications where still on, even games i played while it happend. After I came out of the sleep mode the mouse was fine till the next spike.

Possible cause, are you sure its not an old usb device?
or
are you sure the usb port is not older then what the mouse requires?

All i can say here, if that cant help you, good luck...

---
EDITED: If your using windows plug-in-play driver for it, install the manufacturers driver.

[ This Message was edited by: Ospolos on 2005-06-24 15:18 ]

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 21:37   
IRQ sharing? Ive seen network cards use the same IRQ as the video card and the mouse would lock on.

Tikki
Cadet
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-06-24 21:42   
Nah, USB is designed specifically to get around IRQs.

Have you considered just installing the mouse and all its features on the other USB port and see how she goes? If it starts doing the same thing, then I'd wager it's something to do with said extras.

Commander of the Missle Cruiser 'Nevermore'

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-24 21:54   
Mice turn off after a while. Ussually a few second, and goto a standby mode. It takes anywhere from 2x to 10x as long for it to wake up and respond. If this messes up it can just sit there as you keep jiggling it.

Don't press Ctrl W!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-24 22:33   
A) The mouse never turns off, its a gamer mouse (Razer Diamondback).
B) The motherboard is the latest AMD Socket A DFI chipset and has no known USB problems.

I will try the sleep thing, the port doesnt reactivate when I plug the mouse back in, so...its worth a try, and my system is up for dealing with the reloading of the game/apps when it comes out (even though i'd prefer it to be on my other system ).

LordShard
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-24 22:38   
Quote:

On 2005-06-24 22:33, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
A) The mouse never turns off, its a gamer mouse (Razer Diamondback).
B) The motherboard is the latest AMD Socket A DFI chipset and has no known USB problems.

I will try the sleep thing, the port doesnt reactivate when I plug the mouse back in, so...its worth a try, and my system is up for dealing with the reloading of the game/apps when it comes out (even though i'd prefer it to be on my other system ).

Is it onboard USB?
If it is, update your BIOS, and update your chipset drivers.

Don't press Ctrl W!

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-24 22:44   
hey chinas got everything really cheap... USB hubs as well =)

i had a problem with two of my USB ports one time.. it turned out that they werent plugged in good enough, so check your connections.

Email Meko
Page created in 0.034050 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR