No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Excessive res lost value
 Author Excessive res lost value
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-28 00:12   
I crashed some stock ICC ships, to check the new pres lost, came up with these:

Station: 600
Dread: 350
Cruiser: 100
Destroyer: 35
Frigate: 15
Scout: 10
Engineer: 20
Supply: 30
Transport: 10

These seem a bit excessive, especially for the smaller ships. Newer players are going to be deep in negative pres, if you take the death rates of release scouts/frig/tranny as any indication, and they're not gonna be able to get out. I'd think something along these lines would be a lot more reasonable:

Station: 500
Dread: 200-250 (Elite Dreads)
Cruiser: 50
Destroyer: 15
Frigate: 5
Scout: 0-1
Engineer: 10
Supply: 20
Transport: 10

The increased pres loss I thought was to punish suiciders, however even my suggestion does little for the over-whelming majority of suiciders... AC. Even at 10 pres per run it's still profitable to go random bombing. The only solution is to take a bio off the AC and whack one or two on the clavate. The AC will remain a powerful ship, bombs like a frig, drops like a tranny, and cloaks. But they can't go around solo bombing like they still can in beta.

100 for cruiser is also too much. It's getting at the point where you might be only barely profitable getting in one. We do a lot less hull damage now so less pres, though it's somewhat offset by pres for armour damage. Still it's not enough.

Sure, slow down pres gain, but by how much?

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-28 05:41   
Just as a note, keep in mind that the prestige lost scales by rank; Midshipman hardly lose anything for deaths. In fact, you're an FA, so the levels may be even higher for GAs.

Email Mithrandir
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-06-28 05:46   
Also bear in mind that smaller ships are now a lot more armoured, no more one hit kills.

That all seems fine to me.

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-06-28 06:46   
Some notes:

Costs vary depending upon the value of the gadgets on the ships as well. Here's some notes I took while testing.

Ship Type - Rank while testing
profile values (self explanatory)
difference (the point)

UGTO Dictor - 2RA
3411.17 initial, 0.3 res lost
3278.8 ending, 5255.2 res lost
132.4 prestige from 5255 res lost

ICC Dictor - 2RA
3200 starting prestige, 0 resources lost
3069 ending prestige, 5205.899902
131 prestige from 5206 res lost

ICC Dictor - Ensign
70 starting, 0 res lost
50.4 ending, 743.7 res lost
19.6 prestige from 744 res lost

ICC Dictor - GA
90000 starting, 0 res lost
89776.9 ending, 8924.4 res lost
223.1 prestige from 8924 res lost
This proves that things scale by rank

ICC Heavy Cruiser - GA
90000 starting, 0 res lost
89910.4 ending, 8956.8
90 prestige from 8957 res lost
6000 res lost is from the hull; I stripped one via the editor to have nothing, and it gave me 6000 res lost.

89910.4 starting, 8956.8... plus 18 million credits to upgrade to max levels
89451.8 ending, 21926.4
459 prestige from 12970 res lost
This proves that gadget type and levels affect res lost

-----

So we know that your rank determines how much res lost you get. We also know that the type of ship you die in determines res lost - but gadgets on those ships have a much greater effect than the actual hull.

This is all well and good - it provides a value to things like HMAs, Interdictors, WHs, etc. I'm happy with this.
However, it also means that when you upgrade, the value of your ship skyrockets. Lonectzn and I were talking, and we would find it perfectly reasonable for your ship's value to increase by 10-15.. maybe 25% as you scale up levels. But the 500% increase of the heavy cruiser is excessive.

(posted as a player, not a dev/admin)

[small][ This Message was edited by: Mithrandir on 2005-06-28 06:48 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Mithrandir on 2005-06-28 07:01 ]

Email Mithrandir
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-28 07:28   
gees.... 500%.

i think the regular should be boosted and the upgraded be toned down a bit...

and 18 MILLION credits to upgrade a cruiser?!?! crying out lout, i dont even have two million!

Email Meko
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-28 09:02   
On an unsubbed account I crashed a tranny/scout/frig.

In all cases res loss was 0, 1 pres lost for crashing. So, indeed, it's rather well done in that respect.

Also have to clarify my tests for dread pres loss were in error somewhat, since gadgets and rank play such a large role.

On ICC with 47k pres:

Combat Dread: 280 pres lost
Command Carrier: 350 pres lost
Assault Dread: 340 pres lost

CC is likely due to the HMA.

Knowing now it scales, 100 pres for a cruiser at FA rank seems pretty good. By that time you should know how to fly them (And not, like me, constantly into planets ).

As Mithrandir pointed out, the res loss for an upgraded ship is just phenomenal. That was just a HC, with none of the high cost weapons like dictor/hma etc. It's also one of the lightest combat cruisers, with all low-cost weapons. So it's very likely the effect is much more significant.

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-28 10:16   
Quote:

On 2005-06-28 05:46, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Also bear in mind that smaller ships are now a lot more armoured, no more one hit kills.

That all seems fine to me.

Uhh...no...cruisers can still instagib scouts easily, I know because while I didn't have any rank (due ot pres lost thing) I grabbed a scout and modded it to full levels (10 on what I could, highest on everything else)...jumped into battle and mainly beaconed luth...eventually a scale got mad and jumped right next to me...1 alpha killed me...as for the res loss, all this is gonna do is encourage fleeing...right now battles are mainly hit and run unless you can't then suicide...all this is gonna do is make people run at 50% armor because they don't want the huge pres loss...