No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Deep Impact
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Deep Impact
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-07-04 12:04   
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4647673.stm

We can hit a target 80 million miles away, but we always seem to hit our own troops in war. Go figure.

Goto the website of Drafell
-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 12:20   
yea saw that on the news

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 12:25   
wow
now thats what i call a headshoot
thats gota be the best gf veteran ever at the controls

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-04 17:27   
I still wanna see what the hit effects were.

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 18:05   
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/media/deepimpact-070405-2.html

You can also find stuff at NASA's site. Have any of you noticed that the spacecraft name is also a movie? I kinda figured why they'd call it Deep Impact as well for what they plan on doing. I do have to say, the movie isn't bad... but that's besides the point.

Seems as though NASA is still trying to figure out what the planets are made of when they were forming about 4.6 Billion years ago.. I don't know if comets hold the key to this but, it is a possibility...

Email Shippo
ForMichael

Posted: 2005-07-04 18:45   
NASA is being sued $300 million because a woman claims that the impact slightly altered the orbit of the comet messing up her horoscopes.

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 19:31   
Quote:

On 2005-07-04 18:45, ForMichael wrote:
NASA is being sued $300 million because a woman claims that the impact slightly altered the orbit of the comet messing up her horoscopes.

That is rediculous.

I saw the impact happen live on NASA tv. It was quite the experiance and something Im proud to have whitnessed.

From the info I gathered from various websites there are two types of comets, short-period and long-period, classified bassed on their origin. Short-period comets are suggested to have originated from the Kupier belt just outside the reign of pluto. Long-term comets are believed to come from the Oort Cloud, a collection of icy bodies about 1000 times farther away from the sun than Pluto's orbit.

The outter planets gravitational pull can nudge these bodies from the belt into our solar system and thus become active.

Scientists believe that these bodies have never met a heat source and are ingredients left over from the beginnings of our solar system. They are thought to contain organic dust and other things frozen in time. It is thought that comets are what brought water to Earth thus creating life.

Personally I find the whole thing very interesting and have done my fair share of research in comets ever since I first heard of this mission.

Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 20:10   
I foudn this quite intresting, what i was disapointed about was the fact that there was no video footage of it to watch on their website. i have always found the solor sytem interesting, it go's with all the space games i play, lol. Still... the guy who controlled the saterlite into orbit with the comet... wow. .... great piloting skills.

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 20:21   
I believe they drove it towards the *path* of the comet and then let tracking software fly it into the comet. I could be wrong...

Shippo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-04 21:03   
Quote:

On 2005-07-04 20:21, SentryIII wrote:
I believe they drove it towards the *path* of the comet and then let tracking software fly it into the comet. I could be wrong...

Based on what I heard, NASA installed tracking software that will automatically adjust it's course (and I'm talking about the impactor) into the comets path. So, I don't think NASA actually controled the crafts but, they might have for part of it.

I find space and the solar system very interesting. I've been studying it for years and such. I learned quite a few things such as the different star systems and binary systems and all that. I also knew of the Kupier Belt which is indeed outside of Pluto's orbit. It is said that the next "planet" could be a member of this belt. (For those who don't know, it's Sedna.) Some scientists think that Pluto is a member of the belt but, I don't know... The Oort Cloud though.. could contain the secrets of space that will answer some of our questions as to what the universe is made. Thing is, we can't go out that far... yet anyway. We lost transmission of the voyager crafts and well, we don't know where they are.. if they have been destroyed..

Shame I didn't see the impact.. -.- I wanted to see it too......... Wonder if I can find a video footage of it somewhere.. *tramps off to find it*

Email Shippo
Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-05 02:30   
wait sooo... so if the keplers belts the one behind pluto, the Oort cloud even further away... whats the strectch of asteroids between us and mars?

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-05 09:40   
just a regular asteroid belt.. probably has a name but ive never heard one

Yitram
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-05 11:02   
Quote:

On 2005-07-04 18:45, ForMichael wrote:

Sending the impactor into the comet has about the same effect on the comet's orbit as a bug has when it hits the windshield a fully loaded semi travelling at 70 mph.

Email Yitram
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-05 11:40   
Someone needs to slap that woman against the back of her head and tell her to get a life...Shes just being flat out stupid...

As for the impactor and the comet, very nice, maybe the info we get out of all this could help future research.

Email UnknownWarrior
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-05 15:26   
The comets path was not altered, so the woman is telling a pack of lies.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024813 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR