No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Developer Update 6/18/2005...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Developer Update 6/18/2005...
MunitionsMan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-18 13:48   
funny how much being oblivious to things appeals to us

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-18 13:51   
Quote:

On 2005-07-18 13:39, Faustus wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-07-18 13:12, Diomed wrote:
Backslash- it looks to me like he is saying you are going to hit the planet either way. Going back to the way things were just means you think you missed it only to inexplicably explode moments later.

YES - EXACTLY...

Even under the code back in 1.480, you'd think you missed the planet, then to explode a few moments later because you didn't miss the planet on the server.

I think the FIX is going to require 2 major changes...

1. You can no longer run into planets, instead you move above / below them just like other ships..... OR we put all planets on a plane below all ships... the point is, remove collision with planets from the game entirely, which I'm not entirely opposed too, since this is really more of an arcade game play feature.

2. Going back to sending verbs locally and to the server, like we did in 1.480.

You know, I made a really big mistake in this change for version 1.481. I really, should have realized players didn't want to know about or see their lag.

-Richard

Nonoonoo dont move the planets, or make us move below them, that, would ruin the game.

There has to be some other way to fix this...Since most of the time, the lag we see, is the server lagging (since everyone experiences it). There needs to be something done to stop this, not disguise it. I've been hoping the new server will help A LOT when its finaly done, but, thats all about when, and this is the now.

I was thinking about, what if the server (when lagging, or what ever is causing the delays), just pauses the game, waits for it to be over, or stacks the client commands, so that when the server finaly releases from its 'whateveriscausingtheproblem', all clients will return to normal, just as if a game had been paused.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:01   
oh i would love going above/below a planet just to avoid the crash hehe, makes it a better playing field

Email GothThug {C?}
MunitionsMan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:09   
that wouldnt work ya know how annoying it would if the guy ur shooting at is suddenly on the other side of the planet having dodged all ur shots though on the other hand if u were the ship doin da annoying...

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:31   
Now that's AWESOME news, I've been waiting for this ever since you made the switch long ago, modem users will be very pleased indeed.

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:41   
BackSlash is right, try to fix the problem instead of disguising it. If for some reason you just cant then I would be okay with your proposal.

[ This Message was edited by: SentryIII on 2005-07-18 14:45 ]

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:48   
no roll back, no taking planet collisions out.

just find a way to revise the packets. maybe make packets Smaller?

im not sure if this is possible, but imma give it a go.

this is the verb:

(dude presses A, ship turns left)

and lets say the Actual code is 30 lines long (i have no idea)

then that 30 line long packet is sent to server then back right?

well why not put that client side, and have a "this ship is pressing A" packet sent.

this means that the calculations would be client side for movement, and only a Tiny packet would be sent.

This means (i think) that the 'so and so does this' would be sent to everyone and thier clients would render/compute it.

Sure this would add a little to client pressure, but lets face it, on the bulk of ppl who play games, they have computers that can run EvE, or Warcraft, or C&C Generals. a little more processing load wouldnt hurt, especially if movement lag was elliminated.

so to recap how i Think this would work is this:

• client1 turns/ tells server that its turning.
  • server recieves and instantly tells other clients that client1 is turning.
  • all clients render thier own versions of client1
  • client1 sends update
  • server relays

so i end with these questions:

Is this possible?
Is this giving the client too much control (possible cheaters)?
have you already thought something similar?
is this a load of crap and i have no idea what im talking about?

=) be lenient i havnt had sleep for ages.

Email Meko
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-18 14:48   
A) moving the planet to a different play level would just be.... odd... and uncomfortable... not to mention, youd have to leave a itty bitty tiny bit of it sticking up ontop the playfield, so that itd still be possible to bomb without all the bombs being shot down by PD.

B) moving under and over planets wouldnt be cool either in my opinion -.- as much fun as itd be to set a jump path across a system with every gas giant and sun in my way i could possibly allow, and then watch as my ship bounces up and down more then a bouncy ball in a tightly confined space, i dont think i want to 0.o it just removes an aspcet of the game... i cant imagine how many times ive saved myself by hiding behind a planet, or my enemy accidently hitting the planet because they were tunnel visioning on me... or any other number of things! and yes, cloud bombers would just become rampant.

there HAS to be another way of stopping this, one that doesnt involve too much in the way of changes to the physical aspects of the game. Lag is not unbeatable! we beleive in you Faustus!

and just hiding the lag would probably just confuse the hell out of newbies, so im not sure itd be a good idea. evidently a lot of people dont get what youre saying, so id hate to have to explain it to all the people flying my wing -.-

hmm, QUICK! EVERYONE THINK OF WAYS TO STOP LAG!

- reduce the number of pixels on ingame objects (fighters dont really need that much detail)
- get that system where as a planet develops lights just appear on the models surface as opposed to whole buildings, would mean less objects in server by FAR, and thus less lag
- ... i have no idea im not a programmer -.-

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017999 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR