No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Planets are way, way too weak
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Planets are way, way too weak
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 14:52   
This has been a problem for a very long time, but now it's way exaggerated.

Question: In the current version, does anyone fear planet defenses? Are there any planets that are difficult to bomb or capture?

Answer for me personally is "no" to both. I suspect most people feel the same.

Planets should have the biggest and most powerful weapons there are. They should also have stalwart defense against lone bombers (especially the bomber dread) and invasions.

Why don't they? Because they use the same weapons our ships use! If our ship's weapons aren't getting the job done then how can a planet perform? Current level 3 planets barely scratch the armor of most ships and can't stop bombs at all. Part of the problem with that is bombers shielding their bombs, but the underlying part of that problem is that ships aren't afraid to get close to an enemy planet! Not at all! The only concern is lag. But the planet's defense are no concern at all.

Someone suggested a building like a gravity well, that pulls enemy ships toward it if they get too close. I like this idea. Or a repulsor base that pushes bombers trying to shield their bomb cloud away allowing the other bases to do their job.

But what I want more than anything is planet-based weapons that are extremely hard hitting, and planet defenses that are much more efficient. They're planets, not ships! I know the scale ingame is way off but these planets are gigantic compared to our puny ships. They should be feared and take a fleet to bomb. Give them their own, massive weapons and defense lasers. Weapons that make our most powerful ship weapons pale in comparison.

It's way too easy to launch an offensive right now. We all witness it. Look what happened to ICC in a short time. They're way too easy to bomb and way too easy to capture. There's almost no point in even building these planets up now except to make a sy or modding planet.

"Build defense bases you say? What for? They don't do their job"

(I know some people think it should be up to the players to do the defending, but with so few players that's not really possible or practical. Nor does it make sense)

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2005-07-19 14:54 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 14:57   
i've always like some kind of cannon that imoblized ships on a planet...so if your shielding your bombs, your ship goes with it into the planet.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:07   
.... LOL fattie

but actually, fighter planets scare the bajeezers out of me. my bomber dread gets down to 54% hull if i try to bomb it alone. put 2 of them together and im not in good shape

r3dj4ck
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:09   
fighter planets scare the bejeezus out of just about everyone i think. Pile on the fighter bases and there's too much lag to bomb.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:15   
the only thing scary about planets with defense bases during bombing is Fighter lag.

Arcanum {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:15   
I agree. To attack a planet effectively, you should to have an INVASION fleet, not a single suicide bomber dreadnought.

I know realism is a bad argument, but by the time we can invent something as advanced as "Hyper Mass Accelerators" and "Anti Matter Jump Drives", I'm pretty sure we can have guns which can shoot a ship right out of orbit.

Thus, capturing a planet should involve a massive and epic battle, and should involve big gains for the victorious faction. As it stands, planets come and go so frequently, I'm surprised most planets aren't populated by half-K'luth humans.

We are many. We are one.

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:20   
Planets need cruise missiles, torpedoes, lasers, cannons, fighters, and possibly their respective faction's super weapons.

And shelters for infantry.

Email Tbone
r3dj4ck
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:22   
Quote:

I'm surprised most planets aren't populated by half-K'luth humans.

Tentacle love...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:24   
Maurbon cluster = pwn

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:31   
well there still are smaller people above commander who need prestige and need to capture planet. And to them, planet defense is hell. I flew my heavy supp around a planet for a while, and when the lasers targetted me i was down to 50 hull.

Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:36   
HEHEHEHEHEH

Twelve UGTO are sitting outside Earth, planning an attack. A station is charging its Wormhole coil. Suddenly, out of now where, a Kluth Scout decloaks in the middle of them.

15 QST shots immediately rise from Earth and the Moon.

xxxx has been destroyed by Earth scrolls across the screen 13 times.

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
poisonlizard
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 15:56   
Quote:

On 2005-07-19 15:36, Carns wrote:
HEHEHEHEHEH

Twelve UGTO are sitting outside Earth, planning an attack. A station is charging its Wormhole coil. Suddenly, out of now where, a Kluth Scout decloaks in the middle of them.

15 QST shots immediately rise from Earth and the Moon.

xxxx has been destroyed by Earth scrolls across the screen 13 times.

That just may give me nightmares.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-19 16:22   
make planet base firing rates faster - they have an entire planet to fuel them, they should be more powerful

make shields stop ALL bombs, so that you cant just bio bomb or neautron bomb with one cruiser and wipe a planet. ok, bomber dread is bad, but atleast its a dreadnaught and not a cruiser. if we really wanted to, ICC could be neutron bombing in dessies and youd be complaining about THAT

maybe make PD shoot thru armour arcs? i dunno bout that tho

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-19 16:27   
One of the issues was that bomb blast radius gideon set were 60gu, thats enough to go through some planets... thus wiping out everything. I have greatly reduced this ammount, but wont take effect until the next update.

Email Tael
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 16:46   
I would like to see planet defenses shoot bombs right through a bomber's hull. That's the biggest reason why lone bombers succeed so often.

Somehow those bombs stay right below the hull of the bomber and not detonate, and yet if another ship runs into them they do detonate? What's up with that?

Give the bombs a 5 second wait period before detonating on the bomber's hull if the bomber hasn't moved off of them. You can still make clouds by coming in at a slight angle. The 5 seconds allows plenty of time to get away, but if you don't get away and you fly over your bombs they're gonna detonate. As they should. What makes your ship's hull not detonate them?

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2005-07-19 16:49 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025193 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR