No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Planets are way, way too weak
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Planets are way, way too weak
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-07-19 16:50   
That takes care of the bomber dreads 1 run flattening of most planets... but the core issue is still there.

The way I see it, each defense base should be able to single handedly take out a cruiser in a few seconds, laserwise & cannonwise. Likewise, a fighter base should be able to launch more powerful fighters (since they can launch from a friggin planet and aren't limited in size to a ship's hangar) that can decimate smaller ships.

To successfully take out a planet you would need a fleet equal to the number of defense bases on the planet - ECM boats, supplies, bombers & maybe a few missile ships to distract planetary PDs long enough to get a load of bombs inbound.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-19 17:06   
Well i could be evil and put level 20 tractor beams on planets which would grab enemy ships getting to close and pull them into it... Then those bombers trying to guard their bombs in wouldn't stand a chance to break away last second... lol

Email Tael
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 17:24   
do it. PLEASE

Lloyd
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 17:32   
Wel, The tractor is an way, but it wil piss off ppl who are just fighting near the planet and they get tractord in.

I think an planet should be able to have somekind of superweapon, like an oversized cannon etc, but limit 1 super weapon to an planet to prevent an overkill to make planets better.

Detonating bombs under an ship wil work 2 i suppose

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:13   
The tractor base idea is one of my favorite ideas (that's the gravity well idea).

How about reverse tractors? To push the bomber away so he can't defend his bombs if he's flying over them? Because tractoring him into the planet still allows every bomb to hit, and the main point of this is to better protect planets by allowing the defense bases to intercept the bombs.

Reverse tractors can also stop close orbit infantry unloading...another tactic that avoids defense bases entirely, but doesn't have near the chance of destroying your ship in the process (it's quite safe in fact).

Please do it Tael!

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:18   
[quote]And shelters for infantry. [/quote[

Another fantastic idea! I'm a big advocate for more of everything anyway. More variety = more tactical choices.

I love the idea of a new structure that can shelter infantry from bio and neutron bombs and still offer some protection vs conventional mirvs.

Keep these ideas coming I really like them.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:21   
Quote:

On 2005-07-19 17:06, Tael wrote:
Well i could be evil and put level 20 tractor beams on planets which would grab enemy ships getting to close and pull them into it... Then those bombers trying to guard their bombs in wouldn't stand a chance to break away last second... lol

LMAO

Dev note of the day goes to Tael!

Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:21   
PCMs instead of IT missiles? Ion Cannon Emplacement for ICC, (Unique building) QST Cannon for UGTO, (Also unique building) and Stellar Incinerator Cannon for K'luth?(Unique Building)

These would be like superweapons, long-moderate reload times, taking maybe about 20 power each, 3 Workers.

What happened to the DEF bases firing torps, anyways?

Just a suggestion...

[ This Message was edited by: Kit on 2005-07-19 19:22 ]

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:38   
each does different things. ICC def bases have the weakest antiship fire power because they get planet shields.

UGTO are moderate.

Kluth antiship does more ship damage but is slow on PD firing.

As for the Shelter for the troops, we wrote up that 2 years ago, its been sitting in the que since.

Email Tael
sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 19:51   
I like the getting rid of cloud bombing by detonating the bombs after 5 secons idea like someone else said. Then we will be able to see whether or not the planet defences are actually usefull.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-19 20:14   
Remember, platforms will make bombing harder. Everyone will have them around planets...

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-19 20:22   
Tael, ICC planets get both shields and pulse beam defense bases. Even their fighter bases have PD.

That is way more useful than the pitiful damage UGTO and Kluth planets do to ships. Like I said they don't do damage anyway; the only fear they incite is a fear of lag.

I've wondered why they get both ever since their defense bases were changed to pulse beam? Shouldn't 1 of the 2 be enough? Either pulse beam or planet shield; both is overkill when considering what UGTO and Kluth get.

I forgot about platforms, but since I don't know their function or power I can't suggest anything with them in mind. And right now is when a change is needed.

Right now the MV is in a state of chaos, all due to easy bombing and easy capping. ICC have it especially easy; they have both the best bombing capability and the best anti-bombing capability in their planets. UGTO have poor ability. I think the Agincourt does a decent job against non-shielded planets but other than that they don't have good bombers. What do Kluth get? They get the shaft is what they get.

Whose bright idea was it to give Kluth ships only 3 bomb slots? And planets that can't defend themselves? UGTO are only slightly better in this regard but they got the shaft too.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2005-07-19 20:28 ]

Atom$k {PK}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 20:35   
Quote:

On 2005-07-19 15:20, Tbone wrote:
Planets need cruise missiles, torpedoes, lasers, cannons, fighters, and possibly their respective faction's super weapons.

And shelters for infantry.

Give that man a sticker....good ideas.

As for tractoring ships into the atmosphere of a small Barren World (ignoring the fact that planet-to-ship scales are way off), wouldn't that realistically do more damage to the structures on the surface? I'd like to see problems fixed too but...I think keeping a slight sense of realism is also key. I don't think a planet should have SUPERweapons either, due to the point that Carns mentioned. Ever notice regular planets' defenses and fighters go off the second an enemy ship simply passes by in jump? Imaging a QST randomly and accidentally firing at EVERYONE in close proximity to the defending planet. I'd fly by planets all the time just to piss people off =D Planets could use surface-to-space weapons, more than just Point Defense lasers. But, let's keep superweapons for us psycho badguys and just mount 'em on ships, eh?

-Xin

Once a Pirate, always -$|P-

Email Atom$k {PK}
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-19 20:54   
hm... At least Earth, Exathra and Sag Hotha should have the Option of Building Superweapon Emplacements ^^

Imagine Luna and Erath QST'ing incoming Riot Bombers with Level 20 QST's ^^

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-19 21:01   
i've upped the levels on all the bases gadgets. instead of ramping up slowly from level 8 to level 12. All weapons on def bases (not fighter bases, def bases only) are now level 15 gadgets.

I've also changed the Kluth beams from disruptors to Disruptor Assaults to longer range and more damage to ships... But with gaps in firing time.

UGTO def bases are now HCL beams instead of CL beams, again level 15.

Thus UGTO Planets will engage at 305 gu, Kluth 310 gu, and ICC at 160.

Email Tael
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022115 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR