No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Whats with the pres loss, anyways?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Whats with the pres loss, anyways?
Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 17:28   
I came back during this free trial, and somewhere along the line, i noticed the prestige loss was ENORMOUS. Is it me, or was it increased threefold since i last checked?

Either way, I would simply like to say that it is too much. Lagging 2 dreadnaughts and 2 bombers into planets is hardly a reason to lose 1000 prestige. I have lost 4 dreads so far, and two of them were honest deaths involving dictors. The other two were stupid lag mistakes involving planets that love to jump into my way.

Of course, i have no screenshots or proof of this besides the fact that i have agincourts in my garage and i am now a 1RA, but im not really asking for compensation (though it would be nice).

Losing a station is something like minus 700 or 800 prestige for the user, dreads seem to be 400 or 500 each, and who know about the rest. What do y'all think about this? Has it always been this way without me noticing, or was it recently changed for some reason?

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-20 17:31   
Yes, prestige loss has been upped. I myself have made no gain in prestige, but that is partly my own fault, as I was running several downloads causing me to lag.

And again, yes, prestige loss has been upped recently.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 17:35   
The prestige loss has indeed been increased.

This was for several reasons; one was to prolong battles, instead of insane suicidal runs.

Another, was to somewhat force people to value their ships, due to that there were some people who would repeatedly sacrifice bomber after bomber for a planet or SD ship after ship under stations, all the while gaining prestige.

I will have to agree I dislike it immensely. I think the time it takes to mod now would be more than incentive not to abuse such things, and alot of us would very much like the prestige loss to be reduced, because lag deaths often outweight the honest ones, losing so much for unjust reasons drives people away.

After all, I hate worrying about my next lag death more than actually having fun.

-Ent

Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 17:43   
Then, perhaps, is there a way to change the amount of prestige lost according to how you die? I wouldn't mind losing 500 prestige by allowing myself to get dictored without my noticing (and subsequently killed).

Losing an hour's worth of modding time is enough punishment for lagging into a planet, but losing 100 prestige is better than losing 500. I would still be a vice admiral if it was like that.

ya know, -100 pres for planet collisions
-550 for SD
-500 for getting killed
etc.

But, as far as i know, the game simply sees it as crashing into a planet is simply just getting killed by it, just as if you were killed by its missiles or a player. So, is it even changeable?

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 17:59   
The technical reason for the increased prestige loss, I believe, is due to the Resources Lost penalty being increased four fold. The SD penalty has been multiplied by two as well.

As a side note, a frigate modded with completely upgraded weapons nets a loss of 120 pres while a dictor with fully upgraded armor nets 100 prestige lost. How is the res lost for upgradeds counted? By amount of credits used?

Creeper
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-20 18:13   
seems like a good Idea to camp planets then

Email Creeper
Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 18:25   
If that were how it worked, I'd just fly straight into a planet if I were near death.

Email Mithrandir
-Viper-
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 18:33   
The pres loss needs to go, for now anyway. There are to many ways you can die and loose tonnes of it from lag etc.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 18:39   
well im sorry to disagree with you all.

this game has been top rank heavy for so long, maybe making actually Hard to gain pres will increase player skill.

however i do agree lag deaths are..... agrivating.

Email Meko
Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2005-07-20 18:40   
I am kind of in the same situation - have lost more pres than i have gained since the patch came out - though i have not lost a ship to bombinng runs or combat.
I went afk to speak to someone at the door while I thought I was safely (Station) orbiting / mining Taf in our home system (had been there for 2 hours safely). Came back to a message of being destroyed by Taf.
Though this was likely my own fault for being afk at the time I was still rather annoyed and thus just Alt-F4 'd the game and hence prevented myself from being able to work out what happened.
I am also several 100,000 credits out of pocket for credits made from mining that seemed to disappear as patches were applied - not sure if this is meant to be a normal thing that we are just meant to deal with.
As I only get enough time to play for between half an hour and an hour and a half every other day I am going to take weeks to make all this back and am now finding myself no longer hooked on the game as I once was.

As I do not get time to run through chat logs, forums and news updates I personally would find it handy to have an updated manual to explain what all these changes are doing to items (or does this exist and i have not found it?).
How much quicker will mining be if I spend the next four weeks mining to regain credits to be able to upgrade mining beams or should I mine for four weeks to build up armour and weapons?

I am very much a jump in and have a bit of fun type player which the old game version supported well. From what I have read to date it would seem the dynamics of the game have gone more to the long term roleplaying and build up format than the old 1st person shoot'em up type that it was and I loved. Is there still a place in the game for players like me given that building a ship up now for me takes so loooooong?

This is very far from a rant, I am very appreciative of the good times I have had playing this game in the past - and years ago when I used to play as well. The new version looks great though possibly no longer my style of game .

[ This Message was edited by: Sauur on 2005-07-20 18:57 ]

sentryjs
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 19:28   
Maby a solution isnt so difficult after all.

What would happen if we all gained small amounts of prestiege for taking damage? Maby this could balance out the severe punishment of dieing in battle while encouraging people to stay alive as best they can. This would lead to more battles, while still longer than before. It would also encourage fighting among those who know they have no chance, for example if nobody else is available to help defend a system.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 19:45   
Current prestige loss wouldn't be so bad if prestige gain wasn't so painfully slow. You can lose 1k in a matter of minutes, but it may have taken a week to gain that. Unless you're flying a bomber dread Or supplying but that's how it's always been.

Prestige gain needs to be increased for tasks other than bombing/supplying to kinda offset the massive prestige loss. It's too extreme a difference right now.

Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-20 20:42   
I get a email the other day saying that the update has been released FINNALY! I then come here to read the msg boards to check out the problems and I will say ....uh NO! I am not comming back to Darkspace with all this crap to deal with..... people loosing pres and getting demoted from (MORE than before) lag left and right, takeing weeks to build pres up, takeing hours to mod a ship if and only if you spent weeks mineing for money and "IF" you don't loose it to lag and demote you again, planet defenses are even worse that they were before (although I did notice Teal upped them but wont take effect till next update), kluth's ships are weaker than they were before while the other two factions gotten stronger, the uncloak's worthless timer has not been taken out (saw a few instances where cloaked ships were not 100% undetectable).

It looks to me and others that Palestar is trying to compete with eve now. When I first came here 2 years ago, this was a kick ass jump in the action game. But now, Richard has decided to compete with eve in terms of gameplay and throw out the original style that we all came here to play.
I have said it before and i'll say it again. IF WE WANT EVE, WE WILL GO PLAY EVE. But now,Richard is forceing us to play eve stupid online crap!

I DON'T THINK SO, SCOOTER!

I'll check back in a few weeks to see if you come to your senses.

[ This Message was edited by: Bandit on 2005-07-20 20:44 ]

Obiwan Kenobi
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-20 20:59   
i dont know about the eve stuff, never played the game myself, but this taking a week to gain 1k pres only to lose it in a matter of minutes to something be it lag or whatever is kinda ridiculous. perhaps if the pres gain was modified then maybe it will offset the severe penalties associated with the loss.

Email Obiwan Kenobi
Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-20 20:59   
lowering it would be better a days worth of prestige could be lost with the death of a ship.Just today i lagged into planets and went from 2567 to 1659 prestige soon im gonna be demoted

[ This Message was edited by: Navol(VA) on 2005-07-21 11:37 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.033061 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR