No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » My view on modding
 Author My view on modding
Avetorian
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:14   
Since everyone is saying "keep modding/remove modding" here is what i think how modding should be..

Im going to use the mechwarrior games for example, say im playin MW4 and i want to use a Timberwolf aka madcat, that mech is made for multirole purposes, has 2 missile launchers, omni slots (meaning anything goes in those omni slots) and slots for laser weapons and ballistic weapons.

No matter what i do with that mech it will still be a multirole mech, designed for Longrange missile firing but most of its fire power is at medium range or close range thus the mech still fulfills its intended role it was made to be.

In Darkspace im seeing missile cruisers firing torpedo's when we have ships made for firing torpedo's e.g. torpedo cruiser..... where is the logic in that?

Now what i think should happen with modding is that a missile cruiser for instance will be able to switch between different types of missiles, dumb fire close rang, long range hard hitting missile, medium range with fast lock on but not as powerful missiles. thus the missile cruiser can only change between different kinds of missiles keeping its intended role.. A Battlecruiser would change weapons that are fit for a battlecruiser role.

The way modding is now you can just change ships to fit anything making people go oh why is a missile cruiser firing torps? etc etc.. it shouldnt be like that if you want people to make up their own designs then you should something more like this...

Have the classes of ships and only 3 different types of ships per class,
like, Light dreadnaught Heavy Dreadnaught and Assault Dreadnaught, light would go to Vice admiral or something etc. and it has less slots then its upperclasses and those slots are empty at the start, the player would be given a basic load out, but then he/she would have to go to a starport to load out the way he/she wants that ship to be.. so then you can decide on your own what kind of ships you want making it more logical then seeing a missile cruiser firing torps and getting close and not firing missiles..

you still wouldnt know what that person has when you see "heavy dreadnaught" for all you know he/she could have missiles, flux etc you totally have no idea.. right now the game is sorta like that but its kinda rediculous.

That would be my definition of an alternative modding route as opposed to the one we have today, either the first idea or the second. i think they both seem cool.

Lay your head down child, I wont let the boogey man come, count their bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:36   
If you want to use Battletech as an example (Mechwarrior is from battletech) the true system for that games mech design is size and tonnage.

A weapon weighs x tons. Device takes up X space.

you can mount a gadget so long as you dont exceed X space per section, and dont exceed your total max tonage.

That was simulare to what I wanted to do here...

This means that you are not limited to just missiles... But can change your load out any way you like so long as it fits into the slots alloted to the space.

Remove your hand or arm actulators and you can gain 2 more slots, though increase targetting penalty.

(I use to run FASA Officially sanctioned BattleTech Tournements...)

Email Tael
Legatus Immolation
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:38   
hi avetiroian remember me hehe we met today on Mech4 server

Ur idea its ingenius/genius i see ur point as well i am a big fan of Mechwarrior myself and truthfully DS (old) used to be like it until modding... but i think the ships should have a certain tonnage or Firepower ammount or energy used Limit... it keeps small ships not getting too weak and big ships not to powerfull and bulky.. this would probably balance the game out along with a light/medium/heavy weapons array....

i wouldnt banish Modding i would just balance it and simplify it

Avetorian
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:48   
but still my question remains, why should a missile cruiser be allowed torps, it in my opinion doesnt make that much sense as the ships role is missiles.. why not just make different kinds of missiles for a missile ship, its just strange to me that i should see a ship not fulfilling its intended role as its tittle.

I know the downsides of this, but im thinking that it would make things alittle bit more simple and easier to understand, i realize battletech was tonnage and firepower as well as heat efficiency speed etc..

perhaps you could make slots that can only fit certain kinds of weapons.. missile slots cant fit torp slots just missiles, beam slots cant fit rail guns, just beams, you light medium and heavy slots, light fits stuff like particle cannons medium fits stuff that are stronger then particle maybe rail guns, psi or something, heavy would be torpedo's and mass damage firing weapons with a slow projectile speed. however you would have to be careful about what you choose as each weapon comes with requirements high energy usage for damage and heat, fast firing weapons do minimal damage but require alot of energy when using more then one of them.

you would keep alot of modders happy here, but then again the money system, the richest people have the advantage as things would be costly so don't give them too much freedom as that can take away the fun for the new people and poor people..

Really tho i just would like to see ships that no matter how much they are modded still fill their intended role, like someone doesnt turn a command dreadnaught into a bomber or sometype of assault ship. just fills its intended purpous but can do it effectively if you mod in for the right scenarios.

Airwolf, i did not even go on mechwarrior today, perhaps you are thinking of someone else?

Lay your head down child, I wont let the boogey man come, count their bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum.

Legatus Immolation
Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:50   
hmm im sure it was ur name... well i remember seein you... im in the =ER= clan.. do you know Joker (tough guy) and Arklite? hehe

Avetorian
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-22 16:57   
nope, Im not even an active player in mercenaries now... tho i do have a few setups that are really good, like the german chain gun XD however

stay on topic please

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-07-22 17:05   
What i am saying is using BattleTech for this example is not a good example since in the game BattleTech you can put ANY device that will fit the slot. So if you wanted to pull the Missile Launchers off your Archer and replace them with lasers or machine guns, you could do just that... The only limiter was tonage and space.

Email Tael
Avetorian
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-22 19:28   
that is true but there were slots for alot of mechs that did matter like. the red slots were lasers, yellow were ballistic, green were missiles, and grey is omni, if you wanna go that route with this game you have slots for missiles torps, ballistic weapons and laser weapons.. you can only put missiles in missile slots is what im thinking of here, not just the tonnage mattered but also what type of slots mechs had...

Modding should be somewhat similar here, a missile cruiser has slots for missiles, some beam slots etc.. so you cant just change that ship into anything because its meant to be a missile cruiser so you just change the ship to the extent of what type of missile ship you want.

Im just using the Mechwarrior 4 customization as modding example to the extent of how you could mod a mech.. even if tonnage was the most important aspect, you still were limited in choices for alot of mechs for what types of weapons you could use...

And if you went by tonnage here things would be way more complicated lol, you would have to sacrifice alot of stuff per ship like speed for more tonnage enabling to have a more powerful weapon but then you cant have much weapons as the powerful weapon you added takes up alot of space.

I could see people complaining about that now lol, im just saying add more types of variants for the weapon classes here, different beams, different missiles, different torpedo's even...

personally i think it would be cool to see some ballistic weapons in here, no im not talking about rail guns or particle cannons, im thinking kinetic weapons. have some huge cannons on ships... something like the LBX cannons for mechwarrior those are awesome.

So far the modding is good i just dont like how some ships can be changed so much that they no longer fill their intended role.

Also maybe introduce a market for weapons, devices etc.. so that the players can mod their ship from a hangar or something.. Now calm down anti-eve people here, you have to admit whether you like eve or not, that not having to wait a half hour at a planet to mod your ship is a good thing.. instead the market was there you would buy from a location and go and pick that item up.

Page created in 0.019043 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR