No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » My 4 main problems w/ DS...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author My 4 main problems w/ DS...
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-23 20:19   
Well, now that my computer once again works (burned out the power pack...I have no clue how...) I think it's time that I mentioned my two main problems with DS, and the MV in particular, that make it less fun that other games...

Problem #1:

The simple problem, putting it first so that it acts as preparation for problem 2. Why is the ICC homesystem named cd-36? I can understand it once having that name, but wouldn't the ICC rename it, I mean the UGTO have Sol...nice and easy, the luth really don't have a home system in this area of the galaxy, but sirius is nice and easy...then the ICC have CD-36...what is that? I propose that a bit of official fiction be put in, with the ICC ratifying a name change and changing their home systems name to something easier on the tounge.

Problem #2:

The big problem I have with the MV...it's FAR too hard to get around! I know I know, I should use WH's right? Well then, where's the friendly WH police force running around to give everyone WH's to where they want to go? At the moment it is literally impossible to cross from UGTO to ICC space without being a FA, being ICC and having a WH cruiser, or being a supply ship. I can understand the need for realistic space but the MV is far too big without a method of moving around that doesn't require an FA. I propose that near-by systems be placed no farther than max tacyon drive range or a better system of moving from system to system be put in...it's really not fun to have to play guess the system someone's about to put a WH to where you want to go is!...Perhaps something like a temporary shrinking of the MV to a reasonable size, then the implementation of the temp JG platforms would work best?

EDIT:

Problem #3

Just discovered this a minute ago...I've been wondering why modded ships are soo much harder to kill, even with other modded ships...then while modding I realized why...no matter what ship you have, you can mod the armor to 10...but you cannot mod weapons to 10 on any ship...that means that with fully modded ships battling each other, say frigates, their weapons will bother be worthless against one another...I attacked an engi with a fully modded nymph...he had modded, but couldn't hurt my lvl 10 armor, say with me...attacked a frigate, same deal, attacked a fully modded scout, eventually killed it but it took longer than killing an unmodded dessy would've...I propose armor limitations similar to the weapons limitations, where scouts can have up to lvl 2 armor, frigates lvl 4, dessy's lvl 6(?) and dreads lvl 8...if I'm missing something in the math please tell me, but this is based on observations that it was easier to kill 4 unmodded frigates (and faster) than it would've been to kill 1 modded...and that goes to both of us...

Problem #4

Really, going into an SY should allow the ship to be spawned at any friendly SY...everyone logs ships, if you don't not only do you have to spend so much time running around but you run the risk of losing the ship if the SY is lost...just make SY's allow you to spawn at any SY once you put your ship in there...there's no real reason not to since everyone can do it atm...and it makes some sense, you'd be trading a ship is said system for another one just like it in another system...

Thanks for reading that...mass of text that's far smaller than my normal posts...oh! and thank you whoever decided to send out cred tickets...WOOT! Lol...number keeps going up

[small][ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-07-24 16:10 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2005-07-25 14:04 ]

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-23 21:33   
change my home systems name and will set upon you a whole field of gaifens

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-23 21:49   
well like many other systems, its a real place
http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1276.html

Jack 2.0
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-23 22:23   
Quote:

On 2005-07-23 21:33, N'Kra The Wolf {C?} wrote:
change my home systems name and will set upon you a whole field of gaifens

hah, you admit its your home system, not "one of my home systems"

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-23 22:25   
@3, armor/shields are scaled. a L10 on frigate is less HP than a L10 on a cruiser. (easy way to check, take a 10 at 100% off a small ship, put it on a larger one, the armor will start at less than 100%), teamwork, teamwork and a bit more teamwork. L10 armor doesnt mean all that much when you get chewed up by 50 L4 rails
oh and theres always ecm and tractors.

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2005-07-23 22:30 ]

Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-23 23:47   
Even though the values are scaled to hull size...I would suggest they need to be scaled a little more.

Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 00:35   
Quote:

On 2005-07-23 21:49, Doran wrote:
well like many other systems, its a real place
http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1276.html

Right. Sirius is, and so are Van Maanan's and Lalande and such. In fact, most of the stars in the MV are actual stars. Even the Ross 148 and 248 and so on.

And for those who don't know, our sun's name is Sol. It really bugs me when people say its name is the Sun. Nonono. It is A sun, not THE sun.

A sun is a star with planets orbiting it. you know what a star is, i think.

A sun is always a star, but a star isn't always a sun. It's like the difference between a house and a home, or a square and a rectangle.

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
unknown force
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-24 02:46   
Quote:

On 2005-07-23 20:19, Binks wrote:
Problem #2:

The big problem I have with the MV...it's FAR too hard to get around! I know I know, I should use WH's right? Well then, where's the friendly WH police force running around to give everyone WH's to where they want to go? At the moment it is literally impossible to cross from UGTO to ICC space without being a FA, being ICC and having a WH cruiser, or being a supply ship. I can understand the need for realistic space but the MV is far too big without a method of moving around that doesn't require an FA. I propose that near-by systems be placed no farther than max tacyon drive range or a better system of moving from system to system be put in...it's really not fun to have to play guess the system someone's about to put a WH to where you want to go is!...Perhaps something like a temporary shrinking of the MV to a reasonable size, then the implementation of the temp JG platforms would work best?

I understand your frustration. It was even harder in earlier DS versions when wormholes and shipyards didn't exist at all and all you had were jumpgates. However in case you didn't know, you can orbit any hydrogen gas planet to refuel you jump drives to get to distant places in the mv.

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-24 09:46   
Quote:
And for those who don't know, our sun's name is Sol. It really bugs me when people say its name is the Sun. Nonono. It is A sun, not THE sun.

I can still refer to a cup as "the cup" even though I own multiple cups.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 10:24   
Doran: I know it's a real star...but still...it's a home system...we named our home system sol, easy to pronounce, why couldn't a new government decide that the UGTO name for their system was stupid and change it?

Doran #2: I know armor is scaled, that's not what I was saying. What I was saying was that in frigate vs. frigate battles, modded armor makes you practically invincible to modded weapons since weapons go to 4 and armor goes to 10. In a luth nymph I could take the shots from 4 modded ICC frigates for about 1-2 min. (long time when you have that much firepower) before having to worry about leaving. I could only do 1-5% armor dmg with 4 lvl 4 AM torps, 4 lvl 4 ruptors and 2 lvl 4 psi's to a modded frigate, but could destroy an entire side of armor and hit hull to the same unmodded ship. I can understand the need for longer battles, but when the amount of dmg I do is half-regenerated by the time I can fire again something is seriously wrong. All I ask for is armor locks, perhaps even higher than weapons, like 4 for scouts, 6 for frigates etc.

Unknown: Cool, it's nice that you can orbit planets to refuel. But last time I checked there was NO WAY to get to ICC space from UGTO space and visa versa without a WH. The distance between systems made it literally impossible for my dread to get to the battle...kinda annoying. And if you're refering to the old days of a gate in every system, that was much easier than the current system...and the stars were closer...I remember before WH's were put in jumping between systems was a long, but possible, process...now it's impossible with almost every system...you'd think that if you invented a drive that allowed you to move great distances, you'd make it able to move from the outermost planet of one system to another system...but right now the distance is 10x the fuel in my JD...yay...