No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Somebody Save DS (...the brutal truth)
 Author Somebody Save DS (...the brutal truth)
I am Batman
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:02   
I want to keep playing Darkspace, we all do. We love the game. As we all know lag and bugs are making this game unplayable. The free period is up tomorrow, so my question is are we just told to deal with a buggy game after that? Why has development seemed to abondon us. It would take 2 seconds to lower pres loss to make people happier and buy time for a big update. Why have admins stopped replying to compensation requests?.....they are piling up FAST. I'm worried about the game, even veterans are unsubscribing. IS DEVELOPMENT GOING TO SAVE DS???? Nobody wants to pay for a game in this state. Please can somebody who has some pull get us an update.....sorry for complaining so much, but things are out of hand and I want to have a playable game again, none of us want to stop playing.

If you won't roll back to an old version, then at least DO SOMETHING! Just give us a post telling when to expect an update, something is better than nothing.

If somebody thinks I am just whining, go play MV for yourself.

[ This Message was edited by: jphy123 {Save Modding!} on 2005-07-24 12:15 ]

Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:20   
Dear Dev:

My summary of the Trial:

6k Pres lost, from 67k down to 61k.

Death reasons:

Ship wont jump at my command (no dicters or anything around)
Ship is not controllable because the game steadily ignores my commands.
Lagging into various hazardous things like Stars (ya, its great if you jump in 5k gu distance from a star and suddenly get warped into the kill one) and Planets.
Sudden-Death feature where yur ship blows up for no apparent reason.

only 8 tims i have been killed due to "normal" reasons:

Got dictored, died in combat.

The Timesink issues regarding money have been fixed nicely, i give you that, but 1 death ruining the work of a whole evening IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!

There once was a kinda perfect version, id like to call it the kluth version.
The only real problem we had at that time were kluth + cl2k's.
But, instead of just fixing it by makin cl2k's non usable by kluth(and beefing up ruptors a tad bit you threw out that menace patch that turned the game into a frigging flux fest, ruining the fun for everyone (everyone but icc, since they actualy had the most excessive flux ships).

And now THIS!

Hey, i kinda like the new mod system in general, but there are many details that need fixing.

Well, i was about to resup when you fixed the money issues by lowering prices and introducing the "insurance" but then you kicked me off track with that "i may remove modding" post.

Result:

"No money for you!"

[ This Message was edited by: PutEADRearTorpsToFrontPlease on 2005-07-24 12:22 ]

I am Batman
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:22   
Thank you for saying it nicely, I get carried away....

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 15:28   
To Be Brutally Honest? this game was worth saving at one time or another but, this game has literally hit an all time LOW with the lag and the Time consumming amount to get prestige back that we recentally lost. i was hoping to come back to a changed game but instead i see the aliens that i have loved so much (the kluth) have gotten weaker overtime, nerfing us of our ability to mount CL2K's and making Disrupters worthless not to mention Nerfed the AM Torpedos to the point of not working! also i cant stand the 800 GU Splash Radius of a Level 10 QST im sorry but this game aint worth spending $10 a month anymore

Email GothThug {C?}
Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 15:52   
Quote:

On 2005-07-24 12:02, jphy123 {Save Modding!} wrote:
...It would take 2 seconds to lower pres loss to make people happier and buy time for a big update...

Yes.

About the lag.. We all know that DS is a lagfest whenever there is a free trial. Always has been. Now, mayhaps we should wait for the trial to end before yelling about it, though it is cetainly something to yell about. It is terrible. I had to stop playing at all because I lost more prestige than gained.

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 18:16   
If the game cannot support at least 500 players (the given max on mv server) how is it suposed to EVER atract more paying customers?

"Hey look, that game cant even support 50 Players. HAh?! They expect someone to pay for this?"

See? Your logic is ludicously warped.

for the record: im now at 7k Pres lost. This time a Planet destroyed my ead, altough there was plenty of armor left, the ship just went BOOM! .

Rinzler
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 18:42   
I dont know much about whats going on but, how about they just shut it down and then work on it, then when its workable, then turn it back on?

Nobody321
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-24 22:37   
My specs:
Pentium 4 2.53ghz w/512k Level2 cache
512mb PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro with 128mb onboard DDR memory
Windows XP Home Edition w/ all latest updates
DirectX 9.0c (latest)

I am using THE latest drivers for both my graphics card and onboard motherboard sound.

I have N-O-T-H-I-N-G running in the background...not even a virus-checker, while running DarkSpace.

I have my desktop color set at 16-bit...I have gone into the advanced settings of my graphics card and set EVERYTHING to MAXIMUM performance and MINIMUM quality.

I get a full 48k connection with my phone line...not an old 28k. And 56k is impossible due to the phone companies not using the higher tech required in the phone lines to get 56k...so you can't say "well you don't have the 56k connection" because there is no such thing.

I have also recently done FULL spyware scans using ALL the top spyware scanners (with latest updates), as well as a full virus scan (with latest updates). I have no viruses/spyware. I have also done full scans/optimizations to check/fix/optimize my computer, using Norton WinDoctor, Norton Disk Doctor, Norton Speed Disk, and CheckIt Diagnostics.

--->There Is Nothing Wrong With My Computer!<---

DarkSpace settings:
Texture Detail: Low
Enable Specular: No
Enable LightMaps: No
Wait VB: No
Ship Trail Length: 0%
Missile/Fighter Trail Length: 0%
Particle/Explosion Detail: 0%
Mixer Khz: 11025 (min)
Channels: 1 (min)
Voices: 8 (min)
SFX Volume: 0% (thats right, i tried turning off the sound!)
Music Volume: 0%
Connection Speed: Modem 56k (not auto-detect)
FPS Limit: 30

Note: I also let DarkSpace FULLY load when i join the MV, i don't press spacebar and skip any of the preloading.

Gameplay Experience: Lag, Lag, Lag

Anyway, see you guys at the next free trial. Hopefully that new big server will help with lag once its installed.

SuperFreeza

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-24 23:09   
I dont get any lag or anything bad in mv really. I have a Pentium D with 2 gig mem top notch vid card and cable (with 2 others comps hooked to it with hub and gf downloads crap all the time while I play). I have no problems at all, well I did get a tiny desync for a split sec today but thats all. Even at peak times I have no problems playing.

Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-25 04:39   
It is clear and evident that Ds is undergoing some problems at the moment. Which is a pity.
Castel made an appropriate idea, when he spoke about a brief shut down in order to sort the problems out.
Im not going to re-iterate them as i think enough people know what they are.
I am going to draw an analogy, so bear with me.
I work with people who are severely ill, what tends to happen is that when they get worse or relapse, the service usually listens to a lot of professionals and increases the medication or initiates a new set of treatment regimes. Then what happens is the new meds mask the symptoms and cause new problems, so then we prescribe new medication or treatments in order to respond to the secondary and tertiary interventions.
In reality what works is a complete stripping away of the medication and then a complete review of the presenting problems and an appropriate response to those problems which is usually a singular medication or intervention. This process however takes time, BUT in order to assess fully the problems you need to strip away all other interferences. This gives you a baseline to work on and in effect speeds up the effective delivery of appropriate interventions and effectiveness.
I believe what is needed is a complete shutdown of the MV and Faustus is allowed the time/commitment and support of the DS community to strip away the current imperfections and start from the initial baseline. Rather than keep adding problems and attempting to keep everybody happy with inclusion of all suggestions.

I am suggesting to let the expert do his job.
I do not profess to be an expert in DS, but i am good at what i do with patients. I try not to be distracted from my aims and objectives by keeping everybody happy. It does not work.
Let the man do his job, If that means shutting down the MV until it is sorted then that can only be a vast improvement on what I see with the massive increase in time spent by admins responding to Bug alerts, compensation requests, weapons being unfair, Kluth cloaking moans etc etc etc etc etc (King of Siamesque proportions).

Thanks for listening.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-07-25 12:08   
We are all DOOMED! Doomed, I say! DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto the website of Drafell
Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-26 10:06   
They dont like it up em, ooooh no.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Page created in 0.019901 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR