No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Keep modding, ditch credits
 Author Keep modding, ditch credits
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:40   
I know that the Big F is considering getting rid of modding, but that would make the game far to sterile and boring...it would be simply "Grab ship, find enemy, hit j, target enemy, hit space, repeat until enemy is dead, find other enemy". Without modding most of the skill of the game would be gone. Instead, here's what I propose...

Step 1: Remove Credits From the Game (Or see step 6 if you must leave them in)

It has never made sense to me why we have credits in a military game. I mean, what soldier has to pay to get better weapons? Seeing as how this is a military game, and most military games with money to get weapons have failed (soldner, a bunch of others...the only successful military game with cash was CS) I feel it should be removed from the game entirely. The only currency in the game should be prestige.

Step 2: Move modding to the spawn screen (Note: Other's have suggested this idea before, I take no credit for coming up with it)

This is another thing that has plagued my reasoning center, why can't we change our armnement before we spawn? I feel that modding should be something like, choose a planet, choose the ship you like, hit select, a screen pops up showing your current weapons, armor, engines, etc., you click on say a IE drive and above your armnement pops up two buttons, PFE and AFE. You click PFE and that gives your ship a PFE drive at the same lvl as your IE was (I'll get into lvl's more later). When you're all done you hit a spawn button above the armnament screen and your ship spawns with what you wanted.

Step 3: Change the level system (I think someone else might have mentioned this before, but I'm not sure)

As it is right now the level system is worthless. Everyone gets the highest level weapons, and armor, and the two balace each other out. Instead, I feel the level system should be very different

Step 3a: Remove the option to upgrade weapons/etc. levels
Step 3b: Remove levels from armor/shields and (possibly) specials
Step 3c: Implement a system by which...too hard to explain, I'll just do an example..

Example: Say I pull an EAD (hey, this is a dream, I can pull whatever I want). I go into a battle and totally own a MD, they flee, but only after I've gained (all numbers mentioned will need to be changed for balance, these are just examples) 50 ship dmg. prestigue. A little server message pops up when I've passed the 50 dmg marker saying "Server: Engineer reports that weapons systems can be upgraded at the nearest friendly planet". So I fly to a friendly planet, orbit it, and a new message comes us "Server: Weapons upgraded". I look at my weapons and lo and behold everything's gone up 1 level. I go back into combat and get to 100 dmg'd pres, get another message, same with 150 more etc. Same goes for sup, I get 50 supply points, drones upgrade...I think you get the picture.

I feel that that would best represent the Scotty (moment of silence...) effect on a ship, that as you use a system your engineers/weapons people get used to it and can modify it to be better.

Step 4: Change mining

Since there'd be no more credits in my fantasy world of DS, you'd want to delete all that info on resource selling/buying prices right? WRONG, that info should simply be switched over so that it's used to calculate how much "Resources Mined:" Prestige you get, and whether you can earn the prestiges Resources Mined Gold Golden Mining Beam Badge! Simply put, mining becomes a prestige thing...but not simply mining it into your ship, but mining and dropping it off...and the resources mined would actually have no effect on prestige total, but would (slightly) counter-balance resources lost.

Step 5: Make mining useful/resources rare in the MV

Simply put the MV is so full of resources it makes no sense why we'd have to conquer another planet, I mean, we've got 4000000000000000000000000000000000000000 urdanium, why conquer that planet to get more? Resources are far too plentiful in the MV, here's my proposal to fix that...A timer should be set up with a script that runs every 2 hours, at the 2 hour mark the server would go through and remove half the resources on every planet that did not change sides in the past 2 hours. When the script was done with that it would sit back and watch and record which planets changed hands, and ignore them on the next wipe. Simple and somewhat effective...

Step 6: If you must keep credits

Here's some good things I think you could put in if you absolutely must keep credits and need something to use them for, each of these costs 1mil...

1. The Wheel of Cheese: When dropped on a planet instantly boosts moral up one level, and displays a server message "Server: Behold the Power of Cheese!"

2. The Hal 9000 computer: When dropped on an enemy planet, produces a chance (75% for low moral, 50% for okay, 25% for higher than okay) of the planet instantly becoming Mir and displaying a server message "Server: "Hal open the cargo bay door." "I can't do that Dave." (I think I botched that quote )

3. The Eye-Patch: Similar to Hal, but instead of Mir affected planets become pirate and the server message is "Server: ARRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Soo...that's a long post right...actually I shortened it up quite a bit and spaced it out for reading comfort...the original idea was a large, ranty, block of text...what do you guys think?