No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Old Vs New
 Author Old Vs New
ReZ
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-26 17:16   
Quote:

On 2005-07-26 12:11, Southpark wrote:

i've earned admiral twice from scratch because i think this game is fun, but this "old players" vs "new players" attitude has got to go away, treat everyone as a newbie, because sometimes everyone just acts that way, "veteran" of the darkspace community or not..

I was reading this from another post, and it got me thinking.

Now, some of you might recall me, some wont.. Its no big deal, i'm not exactly a new kid on the block either.

But that quote is pretty much why i got a new account, got a new name and started fresh.

When i started DS, a good portion of the "vets" or those who claim to be were new, fresh off the block and eager to jump into combat, DS was fun and with that, they excelled through the ranks.. whether it was from the grouping bug in which lord knows how many FA's sprung up like weed, or just sheer bulking down and playing the game hardcore.

But the fact remains, that when i returned, those same people who i thought were friendly and helpful, had turned into egocentric pres whores shunning anyone that didnt agree with them because they are "vets".

I realise the DS community is extremely tight knit. But games evolve, and players come and go. Most of the time, the "vets" dont take the time to get to know or play with the new ppl ingame, imo. So when other vets decide they dont like the game anymore and leave, they jump on the forums and claim that DS is dieing.

Little do they know, that each week, at least 5-6 new players jump on and try the game out. Now i'm not going to get into the scolding of the game they see from these "vets" when they jump in the lobby, i dont want this to turn into a flame war.

This even spills into fleets, you may notice the gap between fleets with only "vets" that mostly fly dreads and stations, and the "other" fleets, which new people try and form their own coalition.

Now, thankfully i havnt seen people go to the extreme as to putting down other fleets because they arent uber, or anything like that. But the social classification system is there.

For instance. I went and created 2 fleets just for my own fun to test my theory, and i went and asked a series of playes whom i've flown with for a long time, some of them my whole ds career.

Most of the responses i get are "Sorry m8, i'm not joining any fleets right now" or "sorry, i want to remain fleetless for awhile to try other factions" or "sorry, i dont join fleets i make them" Then of course, the famed no response answer is frequent as well. Then i'd hop on not a day later, and a good portion of those same people, are in fleets.

Now, look at my profile, youll see this account has no BT badge, and not all the medals. Or most notably, my registration date which i can guarentee people always look at to determine if your a "vet" or not.

So lets say, i slapped on my old name, or a vet name. Got all those badges back and most notably, had the earlier reg date. What would you think the responses would be like?

imo, some of them would change, some wont because well, they horde to the superfleets with the good cool players. Cant help that, thats human nature to try and be on the winning side. Hell, i've even tried to join some of those "elite fleets" and got the famed "no response"

Now, those of you who have cared to read this far, must be informed that i am not hating on anyone, or flaming anyone. All i am asking, is a little more consideration for the new people.

So what if the dont have a BT badge,so what if they registered a few months ago, big deal. We were all new to this game once, and elevating yourself to a social elite status where you only talk to people you know or played with or whatever is no good.

People play mmo's partially to go and meet new people, make new friends and whatnot. People come and go, so you deal with it, and make new friends.

So all of you must know, that just because a few "vets" are leaving, doesnt mean the game is doomed to failure or anything like that. Their basically moving on, and are ready to try new things. I feel that personally, the DS community has to move on as well, and accept these new players like it did the new players that joined in beta, 357, 480 and now 483.

Anyways, if you have opinions on this, share them please. But refrain from hating, or power posting (skimming through and becoming enraged that someone doesnt think like you do and posting a flame against it) Everyone has their own point of view, and youll see that in life everything is viewed from a certain point of view.

So theres my .00010 cents, this is why i dont tell some who have asked who i am.. The past is the past.. and a few thousand pres and badges shouldnt matter, well unless your in the heat of battle with someone who isnt as skilled a pilot as your used to flying with.. Live and learn.

Thanks for your time.

[ This Message was edited by: ReZ on 2005-07-26 17:21 ]

Email ReZ
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-26 17:30   
I r0x0r j00r b0x3rs!

On a serious note.. I win you lose.. no wait..

Ok seriously, well said, and yeah im not innocent of that, very few "Vets" are.

Most of my "unwillingness" to interact with newer players come from past experience, namely from the fantastic game state that was 1.3 that was ruined by "Noob Whiners".

Those same guys got their own ways.. for a short while, when it came to their turn, they bitched all over again and quit, leaving the rest of us to ride out the state that became of it.

Maybe a little harsh to judge everyone on it, but like in real life, I stick with the friends I can trust, but again, dont get me wrong, some of the new guys coming in are fantastic.

Working in MV earlier with a fairly new player flying in a Claw, who's name I cannot remember (Sorry!), we managed to successfully engage, and when help arrived, destroy an ICC fleet. My first line was "Cloak and get to me".

Usual reply you get? "Who the "Meh" are you to tell me what to do?!?!?!"

Not this guy, 20 secs later, was on my wing and we hit the ICC dictor. If DS had only 20 "newbs", but they were all like that guy, show me to the "Sign up for life button"

But yeah like you im rambling.

Sometimes its Elitism, sometimes its mistrust, mostly people just stick to their own Peers.

Atleast thats my view on it.

Peace.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-26 17:52   
in a year, all the newbs will be vets, and theyll act the same way

yes, its social classing, but i cant really be helped. most vets do help newbs tho, so i dunno

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-26 18:23   
This seems to be more a post about Elitist vets who have their ego a little too high...

I can say though, that there are people like this. "Im a vet so you have to listen to me and anything you say means nothing cause you suck!" attitudes. Not all vets are this way however.

I never knew a vet one someone based on registration date, or badges. I've been here what, 3 years, and I still don't want to be called a vet. Im not, nor do I want to be, because such classifications hold no water with me.

People can't be expected to make friends and buddy up with every newb that comes to DS. We help them if they need it, but none of us, I doubt anyone at all, will want to train a newb from Midshipman all the way to GA. You give em a direction to go, and you help them where it needs help.

However to me, this post seems a bit more geared at how "Vets" are just egotistical flaming prestige whores who don't help newbies out of arrogance and refuse to be around anyone...

I guess thats just one view of them, I guess it just seems more like a rant to me.

Dunno why however...

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-07-26 19:03   
Ditto with pete here. 1.3...*shudders*. Where Dreads got paper hull and armour.

ReZ
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-26 20:15   
no ent, this wasnt a rant. I believe you missed part of that.

The title, Old vs New, and the quote provide a basic answer

There shouldnt be Old vs New, i agree with banshee's post. It seems to reinforce my point to the near letter.

Also i stated twice, that this was more of a "consideration to the new" post then a flame againts "vets", the post i made was from a point of view, and some research i've done. Observation, etc.

Email ReZ
-Stormryder-
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-26 23:06   
I agree Rez... Im not to new or to old. Yet I still got bossed around by a few people who are thinking they are socially better than I am in DS yet they are sometimes lower or above my current standing in prestige. I just dont respond to those who boss me and bossing others around. I know a few "vets" that I speak to who think im a good of a player as them, yet theyve been playing twice as long as I have. Good post Rez.

Email -Stormryder-   Goto the website of -Stormryder-
MaxHeadroom
Commander

Posted: 2005-07-26 23:22   
How many of the vets now were in the beta test stage before it went pay to play..

I think I remember you talon.. but then its been quite awhile since I played..

Even thinking about becomming a paying member now..

Old New.. no matter what game you play you get the same thing..

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-27 10:41   
<-- "Vet"

<-- In Beta

FAdm. Tim Webbers *S1*
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2005-07-27 13:05   
I personally would like to thank the vets who helped me

Veron and Ronzo in particular - you guys rock!

Personally, I tend to think of myself as a semi n00b.

I have lost count of the times that I was told before I had gold bomber, "That's useless, go to the newbie server."

Well, I kept it up, and I've got that badge now.

Believe me, I will follow orders of my superiors. Just about anyone in game will tell you that. Usually they will know more than I do about how things need to be played, and I understand that. Personally, if someone starts being an elitest, I ignore them. Plain and simple. What are they going to do, use their mighty powers of uber leetness to come and kick me or kill me? Bull, they don't want to get in trouble. I don't understand why this is such a big issue. Some people will ALWAYS have big egos.

[ This Message was edited by: R. Adm Tim Webbers on 2005-07-27 13:08 ]

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-27 14:43   
I can see his point, but in regard to the problem of new players not being accepted in "old-school" fleets or fleets with lots of high ranking players. Neither did $BUM$ or Evil followed such a rule. You know how the queen is with orphans...

Additionnaly, before somebody points a finger at PB ( prolly one of the most elitist clan in DS since el33t ), they did accept low ranked players and shunned out old players who didn't fit anymore with their doctrine.

One more thing, I haven't seen this kind of behavior in a K'luth fleet for ages... As far as most K'luth players are concerned, they could almost all join KES or Evil or even BIS if they like to work hard.

[ This Message was edited by: Diabum|ik on 2005-07-27 14:51 ]

Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-27 14:48   
heh, funny, i remember playing this game when it was free, and still in "perpetual beta" when things would be done "in two weeks" and etc..

i don't consider myself a vet, or a noob, just a player, i don't know everything, but i know enough to enjoy the game and to recognize the attitude some people have towards newbies

i just wish we could retain more new players

Nobody321
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-27 16:01   
I am not a vet (although i was in the pre-release betatest for a day or two way back then...but quit because none of the other betatesters would help me learn the game and there was inadequate documentation), but as you can see by my registration date I have been keeping an eye on DS for atleast a while. But I would like to completely agree with you.

In fact, I don't know how it happened...but it seems the community has actually gotten worse since a year ago with the 1.481 patch.

You can rarely even get a simple answer to a simple "where is the action?" when there is a bunch of people online (mostly vets being online). Heck even when you offer to be ANY ship your rank allows (not excluding even supply, engineer, transport) and ask how and where you may help (and what ship is needed), rarely can you get an answer then...even when there is clearly battles going on. And its even more rare that you can get answers to game questions. Faction team-work in the game, from my experience over this last free trial, seems to be dropping fast Fleets seem to be unwilling to work with other members of the faction they are in. Thats pretty sad.

Just thought i would let you know of my experience.

SuperFreeza

Page created in 0.028485 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR