No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Flight Of The Raven
 Author Flight Of The Raven
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-03 03:58   
Here is my 3rd work of fiction. It is also the one with the smallest scope or look of all three I have written. The Forgotten Fleet is on a grand fleet scale, while Easy Company is based on the Heavy Infantry so common to Darkspace. This novelet, Flight of the Raven is the story of a brave, young crew in a new style of ship.

This is the story of those brave crewmen led by a few seasoned vetrans. Will the pass thier test of fire or will they collapse under pressure... Watch and wait... I hope to make it an enjoyable ride...

Now Playing... Chapter One - "Does This Thing Work?"

(Approaching the Saluda Shipyard, in low orbit around Minuete…)

“Well Captain, what do you think of her?” Captain Jake Williams looked at the “her” the yardmaster was referring to. He was pleased with her sleek lines, or at least sleek by ICC standards. The ship Captain Williams was looking at through the shuttlecrafts view port was the first of her class. Her official designation was SCV-01, but to her Captain, and soon to be crew, she would simply be known as the ICCS Raven. “She looks beautiful from the outside, but what about the inside?” “Well we still have some bugs to work out but those will be gone before you launch.” “I hope so, we have to be up and running on our own power in two weeks.” “She will be ready by then Captain."

As the shuttlecraft neared the Raven, Jake could really tell she was just as her name implied, a raven. She was painted in a dull, dark black color which seemed to absorb, not reflect, all the light around her. Upon closer inspection Jake could see all the antenna plates attached to the skin of the ship, his ship actually. Jake noticed several odd shapes attached to the engineering section. “What in god’s name are those attached to the engine exhaust ports?” “Ah yes, those are the engine flare diffusers. They help minimize the plasma flare while you are running slow and quiet. They retract when you start running fast, this way you are hard to be seen visually when slow and not restricted when you run outright.” Jake was thoroughly impressed.

As the shuttlecraft approached the docking collar, Jake felt like a young boy about to open his first present on Christmas Day. With a subtle bump they were connected, then Jake heard the soft hiss as pressure equalized on both sides of the hatch. The hatch opened and Jake heard the first thing any new ships Captain hears, “Ding, Ding, Raven arriving.” With that it was official, this ship was his to command. “Welcome aboard Captain” said the officer standing in front of him. “Thank you very much...” “Lt. Commander Axianda, your new XO.” They shook hands in a brief but firm grip. Jake was going to like this guy; he could tell right away this was a solid XO. “So is this new fangled bucket of bolts going to work?” “Oh yes it will Skipper. If you would like I can show you around.” That would be great but if I could I would like to drop my gear off in my stateroom.” “Can do Skipper, right this way.”

As they traveled through corridors and hatches there were so many open access panel, false bulkheads and overhead wires hanging around he wondered if this ship could even get out of space dock. Finally they reached Jakes stateroom. “Here you go skipper, now I know its not the biggest you have probably had before but it’s the best we have.” Jake thought if this was the best they had the ships enlisted crew was really hurting. “It’s ok by me. As long as everyone has a place to sleep then I am happy.” “Well we got enough beds that’s for sure. I need to be going sir, I have things to attend to before we get underway.” “Ok XO, you go take care of things. I think I will unpack a bit and take a look around, get to know the old girl a bit.” “Ok sir, just yell if you need anything.” And with that the XO left the room.

Jake looked around at his new home. It was no bigger than his living room back on Exathra. There were all the needed amenities plus a desk and chair for any meeting he might have in here. Jake finished unpacking his bags and decided to walk around the ship and meet his new crew. After dawning his black flight suit, common to Stealth Ship crews, he stepped through his hatch into the portside main passageway. Two main passageways ran forward and aft along the ship, one on each side. There were two main cross passageways, one forward and one aft, forming one large passageway shaped like a rectangle. From this, many small ones broke off to different compartments or ladders going up or down. Jakes stateroom was on the port forward corner of the box so he could get to the bridge quickly, while the XO’s stateroom was on the starboard aft corner so he could get to Engineering or Damage Control, in case of battle. Jake remembered the mantra taught to him at the Academy, right before he graduated, “CO’s may command ships, but XO’s keep them running.”

As Jake walked into Engineering he noticed several open access panels on the FTL Drive and decided to stick his head into the engine to get a better look at how things worked. Suddenly Jake heard a female voice behind him yell out. “What in gods name do you think you are doing in my engine? Get out of there right now!” Jake eased out and stood up to look at the person the agitated voice belonged to. “I am sorry if I dirtied anything up.” The look on the Lieutenants face was one of complete shock then embarrassment. She had just yelled at her new CO. “I am so sorry Sir. I thought you were one of the new crewmen. My name is…” “Lt. Jinto correct? You were #1 in your class for Ships Engineering Systems and graduated top 10 in you Academy class. Currently my Chief Engineer though this job should be done by someone a little more ‘seasoned’, does that sound about right?” “Yes Sir, I had no idea it was you inside the engine.” “Well this shows you things are not always what they seem to be. If you need me I will be on the Bridge.” Jack turned and headed off to the other end of the ship wondering who would be yelling at him next.

As he approached the bridge an older man approached him. He was slightly overweight, with gray tinges of hair. His steel gray eyes told you he was one not to be fooled with, all this and a full cup of hot coffee and a cigar in mouth. “Well I’ll be… if it isn’t one Jake Williams, Captain, ICC Royal Navy, hotshot extraordinaire, ladies man and scoundrel.” “Yup, and you are one Master Chief Tridon, ships master, coffee drinker without peer, and the biggest walking smoke cloud this side of Luyten." The two men stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity when they both smiled and shook hands firmly. “How the hell you doing Master Chief?” “Oh I am holding up ok… just trying to get these new kids taught in the old ways of doing things and it sounds easier than it looks. What about you Jake? How’s the wife and kids?” Jake visibly flinched at that question. “Kim died 2 years ago, she had cancer, but the kids are up and running around. My girl is in college and the oldest boy is going into the Academy this coming fall. All the rest are still in basic schooling.” “I am sorry to hear that. I didn’t know.” “No worries, it’s ok. Could you show me around?” “It would be my pleasure.”

As the two old friends walked together along the port main passageway the Master Chief spoke about the ship. The ICCS Raven was a brand new class of ship. For one it was a Corvette sized ship, smaller than a Frigate but larger than a Scout. It was believed you could cram as much electronics as a Frigate into something closer to the size of a Scout. This ship was the prototype of that ship, which was hoped, would be in full production in 6 to 12 months. Though the ships hull was new and unique, the electronics, engines and weapons were standard issue. There were whole equipment bays that were empty and awaiting new devices of which some were being developed and tested while others were still on the drawing board. The Raven was basically a work in progress, there were huge dreams and expectations for this ship but it couldn't yet meet its goal. Technology hadn’t caught up with the ship yet.

Jake and the Master Chief arrived at the bridge and the technician next to the hatch called out, “Attention on Deck!” Everyone popped to attention as they walked in, “At ease everyone, go back to what you were doing.” Jake turned to his Master Chief, “Are they always this crisp and proper? If I didn’t know better I would think you have been out drilling them on the parade grounds.” “Ah, thank you for the complements but no it is not my doing. Most of the ships crew is young, some right out of Basic or right out of their Tech Schools. Good thing is they are all from the top 10% of their classes. These are the youngest and brightest of the Royal ICC Fleet. Bad thing is most are untested, and have not been out into space before. I think once we get everything worked out we should do a little shakedown cruise around the sector to make sure things work as they should.” “That is a good idea. Lets have some lunch in the wardroom shall we?” “Don’t mind if I do Sir.”

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-03 10:15   
Scrumpdidlyum----don't know how to spell the word...

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-03 10:37   
Not sure how to spell it either but I take it you like it... LOL

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-03 13:12   
Okay it may not be the AD that i used to command but hey i get to yell at ppl and say the captain told me to do it

- Axi

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-09-02 14:04   
This also a bumbage for those who have not read the first Chapter.. I will try to get Chapter Two done sometimethis weekend after I get Easy Company worked on... For the Followers of .. The Forgotten Fleet, I am working on the outline to its Sequal....

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-10-10 16:12   
Droolage bro, droolage

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-02-05 16:48   
***Bump*** See Forgotten Fleet for reason for bumpage...

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Page created in 0.018354 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR