No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » For All Modem Users....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author For All Modem Users....
Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-18 20:30   
Thanks Drafell. I will try that.

Backslash, I don't think my phone line is split. But I also think that the phone lines around here are called POT lines (Plain ol Telephone). They havent upgraded them in years!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-18 20:36   
Also phone them and see if they can "increase the gain". That helps.

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-08-18 20:46   
They Navy still has POTS lines on thier ships... even though POTS stands for Plain Old Telephone Service (as you said above) there is a pretty good chance, based on your statements, that you have an older grade of phone line. Back in the Mid to Early 80's the USA started using a more "digital" phone line from what I have heard...

Though nor truely "digital" they were created to handle DSL requirments since the old rotory phones used the older "analog" style phone lines. Lots of places in the USA didn't upgrade thier lines since they either a) didn't think they would need it or b) they waited to see what was going on and saw Cable connections coming along... either way, I believe there are two causes with your whole problem... A) Modem and assosiated drivers and B) your screwy phone lines... Now which one is casuing the most problems is anyones guess. Unfortunately you can only fix your end...

BTW do you have a Dish system? They have Satalitte ISP Service...

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
RedDoggy(1)
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-08-18 21:56   
Some interesting comments.

Location, location, location. I just recently moved to the other side of a large student housing complex and noticed a jump in my connection speeds.

Prior to moving I would connect at 46-48K (sometimes less). After moving to this new spot which looks to be close to the main telephone line, it has increased. I now almost always connect at 49K-51K. Ya not much but 5% better on a dial-up is nice.

Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-18 22:09   
Driver upgrade had no effect at all. Still connecting at 28800. I think it is the lines around here.

Just did another bandwith test. Went from 7k/s to 8k/s. WOW!! lol

[ This Message was edited by: Bandit on 2005-08-18 22:11 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-08-19 07:58   
As suggested by others:- Have you phoned the phone co. to see if they can increase the gain on the line? It doesn't cost anything and should help quite a bit if not done already.

Basically it increases the volume of the phone line, so that modems are better able to distinguish between the data and the background noise.
Something that might also help is if you got a ferrite coil (little round loop thing) that you can insert over the wires. It acts pretty much like a noise supressor for the line at your end. You should be able to pick on up at most radioshack-esqe stores for less than $1. (shame you dont live in the UK as I have a stack retrieved from old PCs and could post you a few..)

Also... you might be able to use an AT command string that disables the noise check on the line, but doing this does mean that you can have troubles connecting fullstop. It doesn't hurt to try.

Just google "agere winmodem AT command" and you should get some useful tips for messing with this.

Goto the website of Drafell
Grmm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-19 21:01   
Ask the local phone crew if you have pair gain. It is a cheap way for them to turn one pair to 12 (one phone line to 12). If you do, feel lucky if you get a 19.2 connection, although the actual tranfer rates can be higher. I don't think the local voice providers are in any way interested in providing better dial up service that much anymore. It's all about saving $.

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-19 22:30   
Satalite ISP? All I hear is that the latency is so bad you can not use it for online gamming. PC->phoneline upload->ISP->WEB->ISP->Satalite->your dish->your PC.. thats like getting to your bunghole from your elbo..

Vrix
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-20 00:40   
Satillites don't use phonelines any more Drow

Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-08-20 03:12   
You can buy a satellite modem which is roughly 20 kbs. I don't know what Drow is talking about, you're actually cutting out alot of transmission time since you are using a local transceiver to contact directly with a satellite. Although really, it is all dependent upon how many hops it takes for you to reach a major backbone.

Computer -> Transceiver -> Satellite -> ISP base station -> web

Email Ramius
Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-08-20 19:40   
Ok you 2, so now the dish at your house transmits up to the one it orbit?

Satalite can not do video on demand, because of the latancy issue. They can do internet, but they still have the latency issue, its just not as much a problem.

Anyone out there acualy using a dish type of ISP? let us know.

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-08-20 20:43   
I use sattelite internet on a regular basis from camp.. and Drow is 100% correct about the latency issues.. from home I hit the ds servers at about 85-100ms on a regular day.. from camp it's anywhere from 1200-1800ms which for me is just unplayable.. but as to the transfer speeds, I regularly get over 100 kb/s with very little difficulty except extreme weather, which plays hell with the sattelite system!

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2005-08-21 05:24   
Heh...

Updated drives...best possible modem...all are useless in my case...having (if one exists) a 200 dollar modem would be as useless to me as a modem dating back to the early nineties...

I live in the middle of nowhere...the phone lines date back to the 50s at least...
My 56k modem is limited to 26.4 or 24k connection (24 is the most common with 26.4 at the best of times) as a result
My download rate with a download manager is an average piddly stinkin *** 2.7kbps...so you can imagine the nighmare of downloading something more than 100 megs in size (8 megs takes upwards of an hour or more)
Cable is out of the question as the local phone company says it would be at least 20 years before they even think of putting such a thing in my area...
DSL is possible...but finding a service that covers my area is difficult...
Hence I must suffer...hell if i even had a download speed fo 10kbps all the time I'd be in heaven...

Theres only 1 person I know of here who is worse off than be (forgot his name) but somehow I seem able to play DS pretty well...and even sometimes even better than people with CABLE or DSL for some odd reason...I guess old fashioned copper has its advantages...

Just a note: Anyone who complains their DSL or CABLE sucks and they need an even FASTER connection...has my contempt...already seen scores of people do this...
I'd like to see them tear their hair, nails...utter self mutilation at my predicament...though I wont go as far as injure myself.

Happy lag!

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-08-21 06:07   
Its probably due to the length of the phone line before it hits the exchange and age of it..

Age + Length of line = not good.

Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-08-23 17:48   
Quote:

On 2005-08-19 21:01, grm1 wrote:
Ask the local phone crew if you have pair gain. It is a cheap way for them to turn one pair to 12 (one phone line to 12). If you do, feel lucky if you get a 19.2 connection, although the actual tranfer rates can be higher. I don't think the local voice providers are in any way interested in providing better dial up service that much anymore. It's all about saving $.

Ok. The phone co just left here from testing my lines. They don't have a clue if the gain can be turned up or not. They did tell me that I am on a pair gain system. Phone lines checked out ok so I guess I am SOL!!

I also tried to search fo AT commands and did not find any that would increase speed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022433 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR