No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Buahahahahaha! I shall return! Timely, at that!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Buahahahahaha! I shall return! Timely, at that!
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-09-22 03:25   
I still think he should've went for the gto2 x800 -> x 850 bios flash mod .

I can't say anything about these arguments other than : It just looks better on the "more trouble to program for" engine...

As for the heavier driver/cpu load on nvidia cards, I do agree it's an issue on dx9 titles ( with half the cpu usage being on the program/system/driver calls, remaining on actual polygon generation... which kinda sucks ). But right now and everytime before, raw power and speed ( the old voodoo way beating cpus, the nvidia cards beating the latest voodoos, etc etc ) always had the upper hand, be it in software or hardware. Also, I can see Nvidia using the multicores of the new cpus to it's advantage in this situation since game code is hard to recompile on the fly/precompile to take advantage of multiple cpus. But you'll have to correct me there if I'm wrong, you could use the second cpu only for driver calls regarding "software dx9 emu". It wouldn't hurt performance much for dual core compatible games either, as was shown earlier with the albeit few games that supported multiple cpus, only a 40% or so boost was shown, and the second cpu was clearly not at peak usage, leaving room for "something else". Altough I realise it isn't exactly future proof, since dedicated hardware ( sound or graphics dedicated ) will always be > than multi purpose hardware ( cpus ). Since multi cores are here to stay, it's most probable that the devs/graphics vendors will eventually adapt to best use the availlable power ( especially since the consoles heavy use of multiple cores layouts , devs will need to learn how to deal with them, as well as graphics vendors... ).

On the short term I see Nvidia holding it's own ( 1 to 2 years, enough time to come up with a solution ) if the aforementioned driver calls compartimentation on a seperate cpu is actually possible. *crosses fingers for them...* I just love competition.

[ This Message was edited by: Diabo|ik on 2005-09-22 03:34 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.006597 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR