No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » [Suggestion]Upper Atmosphere for gas giants
 Author [Suggestion]Upper Atmosphere for gas giants
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-09-24 09:52   
As all the other planets are too small and the notable atmosphere would be to thin to be noticed it would only be on gas giants
Add something which would be thicker than a nebula you could past through without being destroyed, while having a certain cover from your enemies.
Maybe even 2 layers, one with just the current nebula effect and one thicker one, which would even do damage to a ship, while you would get a great ammount of defense (but no ability to jump), crashing all missiles, torps entering it

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-09-24 10:09   
Yeah if they were closer to their actual size.. but this may be an interesting way to get them there.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-09-24 10:14   
I like teh Idea Dom..

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-09-24 11:05   
Now that is a cool idea. I like it, DOM.

Email Shigernafy
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-09-24 11:16   
We could do reenactments of star trek 2

Email Ramius
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-09-24 11:34   
hehehe.... "FULL POWER! DAAMN YOU!"
Dibbs on Kahn - minus the whole persuing revenge till my idiotic death thing!

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-09-24 13:42   
JOO HAX MY NEBULA?

(me likery)

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-09-24 16:38   
That would be cool....

I would like to see gas giants having no real 'dead zone' where you crash instantly, you just take progressively more damage the deeper into the atmosphere you go.

Obviously you'd have a warning on your display telling you you've gone dangerously deep into the giant.

Email Bobamelius
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-09-24 16:53   
I just wanna be able to get on teamspeak drunk & say "Aproaching hull crush depth, we're goin down!" or something equally cliche & corney

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-09-24 17:53   
The upper layer you can go into without sustaining damage...after that, the deeper you go, the more continuous damage you get...and when you hit the core, you...well, die. Visibility is reduced, and the deeper you go, the less your signature will be...

*/me imagines fleets gas giant camping*

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2005-09-24 20:00   
After playing in the MV for about 30 min, and racking up 2 more planet collisions after letting the ship park itself using the orbit command.

Its starting to look like a good idea just to make all the planets Gas giants or take the Planet collision off.

Its not a good situation when one sec your screen says your in orbit about to put your ship away and then no explosion, just a Killed by this planet message.

Make the planets Pillows petition soon to follow... arrrrgh..

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-09-24 20:33   
also, wouldn't that require alot of work and cause the screen to be all weird and you not being able to c anything?

Obiwan Kenobi
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-09-24 20:49   
good idea but i see a possible repair ship abuse that could be done if this was to be made a reality. overall a good idea though

Email Obiwan Kenobi
Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2005-10-05 07:29   
Quote:

On 2005-09-24 20:49, Obiwan wrote:
good idea but i see a possible repair ship abuse that could be done if this was to be made a reality. overall a good idea though

Could always be prevented by making it so that you're unable to activate any equipped, OR drone based modules while inside the gas giants atmosphere? would make sense too, because the major gravity of the gas giant is likely to mess targeting up, or something like it.

Otherwise, its a great idea. Would probably work out pretty nicely too, especially if/when full 3D gameplay is implemented some day.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-05 07:42   
Quote:

On 2005-10-05 07:29, Shadey wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-09-24 20:49, Obiwan wrote:

Could always be prevented by making it so that you're unable to activate any equipped, OR drone based modules while inside the gas giants atmosphere? would make sense too, because the major gravity of the gas giant is likely to mess targeting up, or something like it.

Otherwise, its a great idea. Would probably work out pretty nicely too, especially if/when full 3D gameplay is implemented some day.

Problem with this is that the drones can still reach 550 gu at level 10. The supply ship will still be out of reach of the planets range.

I don't think the gravity of a planet would be a good idea, because the shots would have to go under quiet a lot of maths calculations per second. For things like cannons (where there are 6-10 shots per component), thats a lot of math. Especialy in the case of a battle dread, where you have 23 cannons. Although it does add to the stratigic value a bit, it would remove some gameplay value. If I target PlayerB and he is just past Queenie for example, and I fire at him with torpedo's, the torps won't hit him because they will curve around the planet.

Also, I doubt very much that full 3D gameplay will be implimented in DS (maybe DS2 (when and if), but not DS). DS is unique because of its no Z-axis, and uniqueness is good in a game. Clones of games, do not make money. Original and unique games do (Will Wrights - Spore anyone?). The fact that this game has no Z-axis, makes it unique, and in that, makes people want to try it more. The fact that we don't have 1000 players like some games, is because PaleStar doesn't have the budget to spend money on advertising and lots of manpower to keep content rolling out.

Anyway, having said that, back ontopic..

I just don't think that the curving idea because of the planets gravity is a good idea. The damage (slow, not a lot), would just add a touch of realism and "cool" factor to the game. I think that a lot more people would be fustrated with the curving, than the slow and very slight damage from a planets atmosphere. Perhaps instead of damage, it could act as if everyone in the area had 0.0 sig (as if to block the sensors or something). Or perhaps that effect can be added to nebula's (shouldn't be hard (few blind-ECM running on the object).

-Jack

Page created in 0.017262 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR