No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » How about .....
 Author How about .....
Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2005-10-05 19:48   
Codeing in multimonitor support? Any takers? Richard?

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-10-06 11:51   
If you look on the forums of just about every game in existence, you'll find a question about multimonitor support. None have it afaik, yet every game would benefit from it vastly, DS included.

Judging by the complete lack of games that have it, I'd say directX doesn't support it, or openGL for that matter. Although I couldn't tell you for sure.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:11   
OGL supports it, as does DX. You just need to code in an overlay for the second moniter, and output. I can either run my crossfire card on the #2 monitor and use windows. Or I can use #2 on DS to super-tile anti-alias DarkSpace (so it looks like a polished diamond).

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:13   
It would be very usefull for DS for one primary reason, anyone who use engineers/use planets or practice close range precision jumping can tell you how many times they wished they had 2 monitors so they could keep a hold of the action and gankers ( ship view ) while at the same time keep a look at the planet he is building ( planet view in 2nd window ). Or you could use the second monitor as a constant map view for combat players or alternatively a reversed angle of the action ( say you look forward on the first monitor, it shows your rear on the 2nd, if you look left on the 1st, you'll look to the right on the 2nd and so on ).

I'd be all for it, But unfortunately we have more pressing matters and not a lot of manpower to work on it. We can always dream and be patient, who knows what the future has in store for DS?

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:20   
Quote:

You just need to code in an overlay for the second moniter, and output.

If it as easy as you say, why is it that no games support it? It's something that's always bothered me. Separating out the 2d interface from the 3d world, as far as is possible, would make any game more playable imo.

shine
Cadet

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:54   
It could also possibly allow those that have 2 accounts to know exactly where everyone is on 2 fractions =)

Nothing to see here...move along.

Email shine
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:59   
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 12:54, shine wrote:
It could also possibly allow those that have 2 accounts to know exactly where everyone is on 2 fractions =)

It doesn't work like that Shine, tho you can already do that with any vid card with multiple outputs and twinview or the ATI equivalent. It's easy.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-06 13:22   
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 12:20, c0ldfury wrote:
Quote:

You just need to code in an overlay for the second moniter, and output.

If it as easy as you say, why is it that no games support it? It's something that's always bothered me. Separating out the 2d interface from the 3d world, as far as is possible, would make any game more playable imo.

More pressing and important matters. Duel monitor support is easily done.

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-10-06 14:28   
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 13:22, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

That doesn't make sence. For DS; yes, more pressing matters! But other games? With multimillion dollar budgets? Multimonitor support should be as important as [random latest intel hardware optimization] support.... surely?

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2005-10-06 14:31 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-06 16:04   
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 14:28, c0ldfury wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 13:22, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

That doesn't make sence. For DS; yes, more pressing matters! But other games? With multimillion dollar budgets? Multimonitor support should be as important as [random latest intel hardware optimization] support.... surely?

Getting games to run faster is more important than multi monitor support, because chances are, more people use intel hardare than use duel monitors.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-10-06 16:27   
How about no

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-06 17:46   
I dunno about anyone else, but i could use the system map on my second moniter (though my card would definately never handle it) becvause it would make combat a breeze...especially when i running away.

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2005-10-07 03:11   
actuly you can with the current version Run 2 clients same time

its all about the system specs on your own box

for some time i was runing 2 accounts same time

runing on my split screen 42" it was usefull that i could build in one place and attack/defend in another same time.

when not building or doing other stuff i could run the secondary profile with an nav map to overview the mv ops.

tricky thing with this was only that its hard to control 2 ships same time, the danger of crashing one ship while you busy with the other was allways there and happend time to time .

i did in no way try to hide the fact that i was doing this, so when the adms found out , it was considerd agaisnt the roc and the admins quickly added sections in the roc preventing players doing this without breakng the roc.

but still the usefullness in the options of multiple screens cant get overheard

want something that for real would make DS stand out from the pack, use the time to get multi monitor options in.

just some advice.

im curent alpha testing 2 games that is on the drawing board with multimon support , its the Future of gaming comming , just around the corner.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Page created in 0.017554 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR